Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
...premium, ad-free version?

I avoid the mobile site because of the ads and block them on a Windows machine. I will admit it, but I put a fair amount into the Patreon to make up for it.

I have basically decided this is an informal, ad-free subscription service.

I would be happy to make that formal, if it was offered, though.

I am sure others would be, as well.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
What did the bar ever do to deserve being banished!?

#BRINGBACKTHEBAR
#BARRIGHTSMATTERTOO

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
...premium, ad-free version?

I avoid the mobile site because of the ads and block them on a Windows machine. I will admit it, but I put a fair amount into the Patreon to make up for it.

I have basically decided this is an informal, ad-free subscription service.

I would be happy to make that formal, if it was offered, though.

I am sure others would be, as well.

This.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
In my experience, most users don't care where/how you run ads or how they're displayed (with the exception of popups/or things that block content) but you do lose impressions, session duration and in bad cases lose users entirely if the site runs slow or becomes unresponsive. I don't know if it was the footer bar but the site has had runaway flash processes coming from ads which were causing browsers to hang. From my limited experience building site content - slow responsiveness can harm your bottom line way more than overlaid ads like the browser footer bar.

I'm not an expert at all, but the runaway flash processes would be the first thing I'd identify and figure out how to remove and that's potentially solvable without affecting ad placement and revenue.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
It a fan of the bar on the bottom. Also not a fan of the constant redirects to Amazon.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Chris,

Thanks for the communication and update. The bar blocking content was more an issue for me on mobile than on my computer. That was due to two factors: 1) speed of connection; 2) screen real estate on the smaller screen. What I didn't like was that when you hit the X to close it, nothing substantial happens which seemed shady to me. I don't mind clicking to get rid of it if I actually could. It came across more like those fake Amazon adds that redirect you somewhere else. In summary, use any adds you want, just ask and expect they follow some basic industry standard rules for user experience.

I do appreciate not having to accept cookies everytime I come to CF. On mobile, I do still have to login everytime I come back to CF. I get some performance issues in speed of the site and as I watch it is usually do to adds loading.

• Friendly
Reactions: aauummm

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
What bar? Is it that small ad between the last post and the page numbers? Guess it must just be on a phone that it is an issue. Never bothered me on my pad or desktop.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
WHAR BAR?

It did make the mobile tough to read, but never really noticed it much on windows. Do what you gotta do man and keep fighting the good fight. But thanks for listening. But mostly Stay Classy.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
@ChrisMWilliams if you were hearing negatives about the bar at the bottom, it was probably a case where unhappy people were speaking up but the 19 out of 20 who didn't care were silent, hence skewing your data on how hated it was.

Put it back and get the "few thousand dollars a month" back too.

Although by the same reasoning, one could say that 19 of 20 people are exceedingly happy that the bar is gone and will be silent. While the few who are willing to give up screen space/pay more/etc. are saying to put it back so more revenue $ aren’t lost.
Just an observation.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: IsUaClone2

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
The bar at the bottom wasn't bad it was the fact that once you closed it came back even when you didn't move a page. If we could have muted it or when we hit the x it didnt come back I dont think anyone would have had an issue. It just needed a tweak not an elimination.

• Agree
Reactions: bthebutcher

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
@ChrisMWilliams I detested the bar at the bottom (never said anything about it tho). But damn, a few thousand dollars...I say bring it back if it'll help the site. Or maybe there's a better way to display that ad than in the form of an annoying bar the bottom?

Reactions: dinger