Echemendia rescinds verbal?

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I see on Twitter he's reopening his recruiting and exploring his options.

This seems like an appropriately ****** ending to today.

Sorry if posted elsewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I see on Twitter he's reopening his recruiting and exploring his options.

This seems like an appropriately ****** ending to today.

Sorry if posted elsewhere.
Welp. That’s fantastic. Why can’t we have nice things?

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Posters on Buckeye Wrestling forum saying he is having trouble getting admitted .

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Not a surprise considering his situation through no fault of his own. He should just start his international career, can’t see him being in college for four to five years.

This pretty much nails it. Tough background. Not conducive so the standard college experience. We were going to have major problems getting him in as well. I hope it works out for him. But I have a fear that he’s not getting good adult guidance.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: CyGold and buf87

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
This pretty much nails it. Tough background. Not conducive so the standard college experience. We were going to have major problems getting him in as well. I hope it works out for him. But I have a fear that he’s not getting good adult guidance.
Should’ve stuck with his original plan to do Army WCAP or just be at the OTC, seems like he trains there a lot with Jackson.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Not a surprise considering his situation through no fault of his own. He should just start his international career, can’t see him being in college for four to five years.
I can't disagree with this statement enough. Are those of you saying he should skip college and just go international even considering life after wrestling? If he was still going to ISU, would you be saying the same thing? I doubt it. He's got the opportunity to get a world class education, in the greatest country in the world, while pursuing his athletic goals. I wish him the best and hope a Cyclone beats him in the finals every year he competes in the NCAA's.

• Agree
Reactions: Sturge34 and Cydkar

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015

From reading the article linked above it does sound like he's getting guidance from the Gymnastics Coach from Cuba that was instrumental in recruiting him away from ISU. As much as I don't like that he choose to leave ISU. I can't help but think this is a fellow countryman who has had a similar journey and now appears to be leading a successful life. That might be the best mentor he can get.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I can't disagree with this statement enough. Are those of you saying he should skip college and just go international even considering life after wrestling? If he was still going to ISU, would you be saying the same thing? I doubt it. He's got the opportunity to get a world class education, in the greatest country in the world, while pursuing his athletic goals. I wish him the best and hope a Cyclone beats him in the finals every year he competes in the NCAA's.
CyGold you have the right take on it. Yes it sucks we lost him. There's a reason it sucks because he would have been a great addition to the roster for us there's no way around it. He needs to take this opportunity of getting a degree from a great university that will pay him dividends long after his wrestling career is finished.

• Winner
Reactions: CyGold

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
He could go to college while being an Ohio RTC athlete, get paid for doing it, and wrestle the style(s) he’s accustomed to while competing at a pretty high level domestically and worldwide at the same time.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyGold

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
He could go to college while being an Ohio RTC athlete, get paid for doing it, and wrestle the style(s) he’s accustomed to while competing at a pretty high level domestically and worldwide at the same time.
Didn't even think about that. That would be great as long as he takes the advantage of getting a degree.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Technically yes he could go to college while in the ROTC. However, that would mean the money donated and raised by the ROTC would be being spent a living stipends AND on tuition, books, etc. Most (if not all) ROTC's don't have that much money. It just makes more sense for the kid to get a scholarship and have him compete in college. That way the ROTC $$ can be used for it's intended purpose... Allowing wrestlers to focus 100% on wrestling after college. Also, personally, I'd choose for my NCAA team to win NCAA titles vs. the CRTC winning Olympic golds. I know the wrestlers would prefer to win Olympics but I probably wouldn't donate as much or be invested as much knowing that it wasn't helping my NCAA team be more competitive.

• Dislike
Reactions: cywr89

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron