Ed Podolak stepping aside

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I can't remember his exact words, but the sound of defeat in Ed's voice when Jake Knott intercepted that pass to seal the win for ISU is a sound I will never forget

EDIT: 2012 game in Iowa City

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I enjoyed listening to Gary and Ed over the years. Their corny phrases and schtick made me smile at their biased calls on the field....but that is what you expect when listening to the home team radio network.

IMO he is a huge loss for hawkeye fans, and will be impossible to replace his passion.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Curious who the successors will be. Noah Wolf seems like the obvious one for PxP? Who would be color?

I dread the day John and Eric retire.

But Noah has gotten sneakily good in the play by play role. He seems to be the right mix of good at the job and a homer (in the best way).

• Agree
Reactions: Cy83ag and Acylum

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I enjoyed listening to Gary and Ed over the years. Their corny phrases and schtick made me smile at their biased calls on the field....but that is what you expect when listening to the home team radio network.

IMO he is a huge loss for hawkeye fans, and will be impossible to replace his passion.

I don’t mind the homer crap.

But technically they are VERY BAD on calling games. You never know where the ball is. You can’t tell if the play was good or bad for Iowa.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I can't remember his exact words, but the sound of defeat in Ed's voice when Jake Knott intercepted that pass to seal the win for ISU is a sound I will never forget

EDIT: 2012 game in Iowa City
The Big 10 Network’s entire call of the play was “oh crap” out of Chuck Long, I think.

The bar pictures just make me think of Podalak as creepy and that’s how I will remember him

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I don’t mind the homer crap.

But technically they are VERY BAD on calling games. You never know where the ball is. You can’t tell if the play was good or bad for Iowa.
Remember, this is the fan base that revered Jim Zabel.

"And he gets the ball and he's running and he's running hard and oh hug and kiss those radios and it'll be 2nd and 12'

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Darn shame. Those 2 are so bad at calling games, it's entertaining for ISU fans to listen to. Was hoping Ed would stick around another 10 years.

ISU has a great team in Walters and Heft.

Reactions: jsb