Ed Podolak stepping aside

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This is exactly how I see Ed and Dolph. I like Heft and Walters better, but those guys were dyed in the wool homers and it made for an entertaining product
Some people like that, but I hate the over the top homerism when it comes out as constant ******** about calls. I like to know what's ACTUALLY happening in game, not what I would've thought when I was 5 years old throwing a tantrum.

That and, you have zero idea what the hell is actually going in a Gary Dolphin called game. The dude can go entire series with never actually saying a score, time, down and distance or result of a play.

Heft and Walters do a great job in my opinion. I wouldn't trade them for anybody. But even those guys it's hard to listen to a game and not think the officiating is heavily slanted against ISU.

And I hate to say it, but I was on a road trip during two of the womens Big 12 tourney games, and it was almost unlistenable. My impression from the analysis was that pretty much every trip on both ends of the court ISU was egregiously screwed, and they overcame at least 30 points in horrible, one-sided officiating.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Some people like that, but I hate the over the top homerism when it comes out as constant ******** about calls. I like to know what's ACTUALLY happening in game, not what I would've thought when I was 5 years old throwing a tantrum.

That and, you have zero idea what the hell is actually going in a Gary Dolphin called game. The dude can go entire series with never actually saying a score, time, down and distance or result of a play.

Heft and Walters do a great job in my opinion. I wouldn't trade them for anybody. But even those guys it's hard to listen to a game and not think the officiating is heavily slanted against ISU.

And I hate to say it, but I was on a road trip during two of the womens Big 12 tourney games, and it was almost unlistenable. My impression from the analysis was that pretty much every trip on both ends of the court ISU was egregiously screwed, and they overcame at least 30 points in horrible, one-sided officiating.
Dolph sucks at describing the action, especially when it goes wrong for Iowa. Walters is hands down better at that.

Heft absolutely hates the officials. We can’t really criticize the Iowa guys on that front.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Have to agree, I've literally turned them off before. The color gal is especially egregious . Someone has to get her some feedback to tone it down.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Dolph sucks at describing the action, especially when it goes wrong for Iowa. Walters is hands down better at that.

Heft absolutely hates the officials. We can’t really criticize the Iowa guys on that front.

That’s what you want in a color person. I want homers calling games. That’s the whole point.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
In all honesty when I saw this thread I thought it was from like 8 years ago. I had no idea he was still calling games. I thought this thread might be that he passed away. Not even joking

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
This times a million.

Dolph and Ed sound like to tavern Hawks discussing the game as they're watching it. That's not necessarily a knock...unless you like learning about what you're listening to. As much as he sounds like Woody from Toy Story when he really gets going, Walters does a great job of painting a picture of what's happening on the field. Heft bumbles and stumbles over himself so often, it can really be distracting.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I agree. I love hearing the absolute disgust in Heft’s voice when a call goes against us.
If the officials made the right call against Iowa State, Heft will say that's the right call. If it was a bad call, why would he not have some disgust in his voice. He never acts as if all the calls against Iowa State are bad calls, like Ed or Dolph

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023

Sounds like Twitter or a game thread on here.

Last edited:

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
I don’t mind the homer crap.

But technically they are VERY BAD on calling games. You never know where the ball is. You can’t tell if the play was good or bad for Iowa.

I think what I enjoy most about listening to Ed and Gary is you always wonder how the other team even survived the game.

Have to agree, I've literally turned them off before. The color gal is especially egregious . Someone has to get her some feedback to tone it down.
Noah is very good. She is not, in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones and jsb

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
If the officials made the right call against Iowa State, Heft will say that's the right call. If it was a bad call, why would he not have some disgust in his voice. He never acts as if all the calls against Iowa State are bad calls, like Ed or Dolph
Sure, he'll say a foul is correct, or just omit commentary insinuating it was a good call, but he's pretty much raising bad calls/non-calls that go against ISU frequently through every game, with a very rare "ISU got away with one" sprinkled in. If you didn't put your homer ears on and listened to Heft, you'd think officiating in most games is pretty egregiously going against ISU.

But I think he plays it about right for a home team announcer and what most people want. That's just a minor preference thing for me, and doesn't change the fact that I think Heft and Walters are as good as it gets.

Reactions: CyNews

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I don't mind the "homerism" from the local crew, but can they at least give the other side credit for a good play or two. Dolph is horrible broadcasting the game, never paints a picture of what is happening on the field, keeping you up to date on the clock and the score. Walters is excellent at doing both, he is a joy to listen too. I like Heft that he lets his emotions show and is willing to talk about a horrible call but is also honest about it. He will say what he sees and then lets it go for the most part. Podolak is just all around horrible, put the two of them in the booth and you would never know at times that a game is being played and how EIU is doing in it.