Edey and NIL

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
According to ESPN, Edey is missing some NIL opportunities. He is Canadian, so he cannot get NIL money on anything that’s takes place in the USA. Anything outside the USA, is fair game. This is NOT an NCAA rule, this is a Law of the USA. Guessing this includes all athletes that are not USA citizens.
But he is getting plenty of tail from the one video that was posted a couple of weeks ago.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
His NBA prospects are not quite as rosy as you might think. Nobody's really sure how his game will translate. He's got a late first round grade by most accounts right now. He very well could be missing out at his chance to cash in on his value when it's the highest.
Definitely sucks that he's not able to take advantage of NIL because of some BS rule, but the guy seems pretty quiet and doesn't scream 'star quality', so who knows how much he'd be making from NIL.

Either way, minimum salary in the NBA is >$1.1 mill per year, so if he's drafted, he'll be doing fine.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
He moves surprisingly well for his size, and he's thicker so less injury prone than most 7 footers. But 90% of his advantage right now his he's simply stronger and can stand right below the basket and get fed the ball, turn around, and pop it in. He's going to be going up against a lot of strong dudes in the NBA, his height won't be as big of a deal because of the length of his NBA peers, and he gets away with fouling on pretty much every single offensive and defensive play. He won't get that benefit in the NBA.

I don't think it's fair to call his style of offense fouling. I look at it as more of a tribute to Larry Csonka.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Monte joined the team in February and has already played as many games for T-Wolves as Garza has...

More stat production already in a quarter season.

The guys on Murph & Andy were going nuts over Garza preseason game in DM next year and clearly oblivious that Monte is more important player on same team.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Yeah this is a student visa thing and I'm guessing that's not going to change. He can also film all the commercials or whatever he wants back in Canada, even for US companies, so it may limit his opportunities but it doesn't eliminate them all.

I’m thinking his face is better suited for radio commercials

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
They can still get NIL. But have to go back to home country to process/collect. I think the same thing applies to players from Europe and Australia.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Jaz was in that nil boat if I recall correctly and still participated in some of the team work anyways.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
With my limited knowledge of immigration law, it makes sense that collegiate athletes here on student visas are not able to make money and therefore Edey would not be able to make money off his NIL.

Related to NIL, I'm curious how this is all working. For example, can the collective (a legal entity with the authority to contract obviously) pose a contract to the prospective player that says "we'll pay you $400,000 over time to come to ISU and play basketball - paid in monthly installments - over the next year, but if you transfer from ISU then you forfeit what remains on the contract." In other words, create a contractual relationship with the player (assume the player's an American citizen with a right to work or green card holder obviously to simplify the hypothetical fact pattern) based on their NIL and basically treat him or her like an independent contractor. This would give the collective the rights to enforce a breach of contract.

I haven't really delved into NIL law, but it is interesting to ponder how this is all working in practice right now.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

The guys on Murph & Andy were going nuts over Garza preseason game in DM next year and clearly oblivious that Monte is more important player on same team.
Jeez when are Murph and Andy going to catch up with the rest of the world. Nobody cares about Garza anymore. As soon as it turned to March his Sr year he has been completely irrelevant in the world of basketball.

My favorite was when they piss themselves about how he “gives back” by holding camps in Iowa. No you dolts. He’s charging a bunch of money for camps in the only place he has any market value.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Jeez when are Murph and Andy going to catch up with the rest of the world. Nobody cares about Garza anymore. As soon as it turned to March his Sr year he has been completely irrelevant in the world of basketball.

My favorite was when they piss themselves about how he “gives back” by holding camps in Iowa. No you dolts. He’s charging a bunch of money for camps in the only place he has any market value.

He’s somehow an Iowan but Morris, Niang and Haliburton aren’t.

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Edey won’t be playable on defense though the way the league is now.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Am I weird for not seeing that as an insult?

He’s a #1 pick early 00s or before. I don’t think you can even compare him to the players of that era and before though.

Teams just get up and down the court so much faster now. Embiid works because he’s really fast/athletic along with the size. Wemby is actually very fast. Jokic works because he’s the best full court passer since pistol Pete so on offense he actually speeds up the game even though he has slow foot speed.

I think Edey will be a great piece though situationally, just not 30 minutes a game or cornerstone of a franchise.

A player like a young Hakeem would still dominate if he was coming into the league now but a slower guy like Patric Ewing would be a role player, not a franchise player.

Reactions: CapnCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I'd guess it's not being oblivious.

That kind if thing is very much intentional.