Encouraging news from Orangebloods

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I find it quite ironic that by having two teams leave we have only diminished the value of potential TV contracts by about 8%. This leads me to conclude that Colorado didn't bring a whole lot and that the value of the Huskers was a bit over rated as well.

Now we divide total revenues by 10 teams instead of 12 teams. That is more $$$ per team. So if we do the math, the super conferences might not be as great as one thinks. 16 teams dividing up a pie. The pie is bigger. But so what, the pieces are smaller.

If I were the Big Ten, I would be saying WTF????? Did I really add that much value with the addition of the Huskers, other than having a championship game? And is there now the real possibility of only getting 1 BCS invite instead of backing into 2 BCS invites like they have in the recent past.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I started a thread last December predicting that the landscape of collegiate athletics was about to change as the Big 12 would be raided from both the east and west. People called me crazy.

Earlier this spring, I started a thread indicating that McDermott would end up at Creighton. Again, people called me crazy. 48 hours later it became a reality.

Both predictions were more luck than anything else. Nevertheless, I will go out on the limb with another unexpected prediction:

We will find out this week that the Big 12 will retain its remaining 10 members.

I'm predicting this for the following reasons:
  • While each institution won't be bringng in Big 10 revenue, each will bring in around $17 million/year (approx $8-$10 million/year more than they currently bring in).
  • The Big 12 south institutions will avoid having to pay a multimillion dollar penalty
  • Each institution will get a nice little $2 million bonus for staying, courtesy of Nebraska and Colorado
  • Each institution will be assured of being in a BCS conference
  • Each institution will avoid having to go through all the pains of being the new kid on the block that comes with joining a new conference
  • Each institution will not have to worry about sending all their sports teams to competition in different time zones (a very underrated factor)
Hope I'm right.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
There will still be no Big 12 network because Texas wont allow it to happen since they will have their own network. Does Beebbe realize that is why we are here? Texas got all the power and ****** the rest of the conference off, now he wants to give them more power.

You don't think they would allow a Big 12 network if there was 17 million dollars involved and the possibility they could start their own?

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
Again you are working under the ASSUMPTION that the Big East wants Iowa State at all.

There is no concrete evidence that this is the case. It would be nice for Iowa State to have options, but there is no indication that this is even a possibilty other than some connecting of the dots by people on here based on a few newspaper articles doing the same thing.

True. But honestly, what would u think the big east is going to do considering the current landscape? PAC 10 gets five more schools. . . A&m goes sec. . . Big ten eyeing the NYC market with three schools at least somewhat nearby in your conference. . . Notre dame, who's ad has stated he wants to stay independent unless his hand is forced. . . If the big east dissolves, clearly his hand is forced. At least for me, it makes me start asking questions such as if the big east get a title game and added revenue along with a rock solid foothold of a market in the Midwestern states, a tv network making hundreds of millions of dollars do I give it a shot? Or do I just sit there and let the vultures pick me clean and have my organization go bankrupt? Jim Williams from the Washington examiner asked the questions to some unnamed high ranking sources in various athletic departments in the big east, including Georgetown which is a basketball only school and they said they'd be willing to listen. No one else in the media seems to be asking anything. Why isn't anyone else asking the questions. So yes, it's speculation and assumptions. But the lack of any info could be due to the lack of investigating or finding the lead.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I find it quite ironic that by having two teams leave we have only diminished the value of potential TV contracts by about 8%. This leads me to conclude that Colorado didn't bring a whole lot and that the value of the Huskers was a bit over rated as well.

Now we divide total revenues by 10 teams instead of 12 teams. That is more $$$ per team. So if we do the math, the super conferences might not be as great as one thinks. 16 teams dividing up a pie. The pie is bigger. But so what, the pieces are smaller.

If I were the Big Ten, I would be saying WTF????? Did I really add that much value with the addition of the Huskers, other than having a championship game? And is there now the real possibility of only getting 1 BCS invite instead of backing into 2 BCS invites like they have in the recent past.

The best part of this conference is that no matter who leaves as long as texas is there my guess is the TV contract stays worth about the same.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I started a thread last December predicting that the landscape of collegiate athletics was about to change as the Big 12 would be raided from both the east and west. People called me crazy.

Earlier this spring, I started a thread indicating that McDermott would end up at Creighton. Again, people called me crazy. 48 hours later it became a reality.

Both predictions were more luck than anything else. Nevertheless, I will go out on the limb with another unexpected prediction:

We will find out this week that the Big 12 will retain its remaining 10 members.

• While each institution won't be bringng in Big 10 revenue, each will bring in around $17 million/year (approx $8-$10 million/year more than they currently bring in).
  • The Big 12 south institutions will avoid having to pay a multimillion dollar penalty
  • Each institution will get a nice little $2 million bonus for staying, courtesy of Nebraska and Colorado
  • Each institution will avoid having to go through all the pains of being the new kid on the block that comes with joining a new conference
  • Each institution will not have to worry about sending all their sports teams to competition in different time zones (a very underrated factor)
Hope I'm right.

You are basically nostradomus.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Hope I'm right.

Also, it has been brought up that Mack Brown and Bob Stoops hate the championship game. This would be the only situation that they would not have to play in one. With a round 9 game robin schedule, there is no reason to have a championship game (other than money).

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
With all due respect to those that like Baseball and other non-revenue sports, I see absolutely no reason to add any additional sports and related expenses at this point unless those expenses contribute to expanding revenue streams for Revenue Producing sports. IF we squeak through this and the big 12 stays together for a couple more years, we need to take that money to get our affairs in order, it is clear is the money grabbing that is currently taking place is allowed to go uncheched, ISU eventually will be left behind. Its kinda like the lay off at work, I might have escaped this round, but always looking over my shoulder and not buying that bigger house!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
With all due respect to those that like Baseball and other non-revenue sports, I see absolutely no reason to add any additional sports and related expenses at this point unless those expenses contribute to expanding revenue streams for Revenue Producing sports. IF we squeak through this and the big 12 stays together for a couple more years, we need to take that money to get our affairs in order, it is clear is the money grabbing that is currently taking place is allowed to go uncheched, ISU eventually will be left behind. Its kinda like the lay off at work, I might have escaped this round, but always looking over my shoulder and not buying that bigger house!

I am with you 100%. Let's put this money towards our staffs in what we have and resources for what we have. Don't be mediocre at many things, be great at a few.

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
I think the 10 team Big 12 is a ridiculously good bb conference. We just got rid of by far the 2 worst programs. Imagine an 18 game, double-round robin schedule. SWEET!

Good thing GMAC left, otherwise we might win about 1 conference game a year.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I can't believe people are resisting this idea.

Keep what we currently have in place with a few tweaks for double our money 14-15Mil. (Tex and OU will would probably get closer to 20)

OR
Go to the MWC and play Wyoming, New Mexico, CSU, SDSU in front of 20,000 people in football. AND net about 5 million per year which would set our bugget back almost 5 million per year.

OR
Go to the Big East and put our head in the sand hoping they will not be poached by anyone else.

Think about this. If the B10,SEC and ACC go to 16 teams (assumming TAM goes to the P10) There is 14 BCS teams left to pick from in the east and midwest. the 3 conference only need 12 teams to complete their structure. Who the frick do you think are the 2 teams that get left out of this?

ND

KU
KSU
ISU
Mizzou
BU

Rutgers
UCONN
CUse
Pitt
West Virginia
Cincy
Lville
Sforida

Other teams worth noting that are not BCS teams
Memphis
Central Florida
Houston

CySmitty

Jan 3, 2008
Longmont, CO
I would like to see the Big 12 10 stay together and then poach some teams in the upcoming year. There is no reason the Big 12 should not be a power conference. I wish the big 12 comish had some balls. At least JP goes for it.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I would like to see the Big 12 10 stay together and then poach some teams in the upcoming year. There is no reason the Big 12 should not be a power conference. I wish the big 12 comish had some balls. At least JP goes for it.

Memphis is your first - FedEx willing to pay $10 million a year to be in BCS conference. So, we would have to have FedEx advertising all over the place, but another $833k to add to the athletics budget (based on 12 team payout).

Shipping exec willing to pay millions to get Memphis into BCS conference - Sporting News staff reports - College Basketball - Sporting News

And we have to get over this - they're not a great academic school. This is about maintaining a place in a BCS conference and the ramifications if we don't are very harmful to ISU.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
RUN NOW. Texas will never allow us to "fairly" compete. Our budget will never compare to theirs, and we can not compete with them. It is like fighting in a duel where only one person has a gun. If we can get out now and land in a conference that has or will have an automatic qualifier, run like the wind! Get he heck away from Texas!
Looks like TCU competed in baseball tonight against Texass.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
I've got reservations about staying in the soon to be big X, or big IX if aTm bolts to the SEC. But monetarily wise, staying with the leftovers of the Big XII makes the most sense. If this new TV revenue package comes true. There's been much comment about equal revenue sharing vs. a graduated sharing based on other factors. It does seem unfair that the Texas schools, UT in particular get larger shares than we do, since we ARE in the same conference. However, revenue is never going to be equal, unless the conference requires all donations to each school's athletic department go to a common big X (or IX) pot, then doled out equally. Isn't that what we're demanding by insisting on equal revenue sharing? That we have access to other people's money?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I've got reservations about staying in the soon to be big X, or big IX if aTm bolts to the SEC. But monetarily wise, staying with the leftovers of the Big XII makes the most sense. If this new TV revenue package comes true. There's been much comment about equal revenue sharing vs. a graduated sharing based on other factors. It does seem unfair that the Texas schools, UT in particular get larger shares than we do, since we ARE in the same conference. However, revenue is never going to be equal, unless the conference requires all donations to each school's athletic department go to a common big X (or IX) pot, then doled out equally. Isn't that what we're demanding by insisting on equal revenue sharing? That we have access to other people's money?

If Texas A&M goes, then a future vote on revenue sharing would now be 7-2 in FAVOR of revenue sharing.

Going to the Pac 10 has ramifications as well. Massive travel costs and two time zones to overcome.

The backlash has already started amongst the BB coaches in the South. They are not happy in looking at the Pac 10.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Also, it has been brought up that Mack Brown and Bob Stoops hate the championship game. This would be the only situation that they would not have to play in one. With a round 9 game robin schedule, there is no reason to have a championship game (other than money).

Lots of coaches don't like the extra hurdle of the championship game but they are huge money makers for the conference and huge marketing tools for the schools that make the game.