Encouraging news from Orangebloods

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
But we wouldn't be getting $17 million. That number assumes equal revenue sharing. Texas holds all the cards here, and Beebe is still the commish. Who's to say they don't work it out so Texas is getting $24 million while we get just $10 million?

An extra $2.5 million (or whatever our masters at UT decide to give us) would be nice, but without equal revenue sharing this deal isn't quite so amazing.

I agree with this post to an extent, they may hold the cards but Texas' hand is revealed.

Also would like to point out the fallacy with this "new" tv deal for $17 mil. ACC just got a sweet deal in a bidding war with ESPN and FOX...who is to say that our new renegotiated tv package wasn't going to be more than $17 mil. with CU and NU in the conference? I think in terms of stability in the long run, their presence would have been key. It is as if Beebe wasn't going to tell anyone...maybe because of the influence of Texas, and now that the mess hit the fan, he has to do something to keep everyone together.

With that, I am done with Dan "Deception Point" Beebe, and the Texas schools. Big East seems to have more potential and just as stable as any conference with Texas in it.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Couldn't agree more. Iowa State can use Texas, just as much as Texas might use Iowa State. Keep the Big 12 together, get a big bump in budget and continue the facilities upgrades. With solid coaches in place in Rhoads, Hoiberg (hopefully), Fennelly, Jackson, etc......and facilities upgrades, Iowa State can hopefully get out of the cellar and become a middle of the pack athletics school -- at least in the perception of the media and nationally.

That way, when the next conference realignments come around, and they will, Iowa State will be more than just an afterthought.

You've summarized my rationale for keeping the current 10 schools together. This couldn't have happened at a worse time for us in terms of football and basketball. Both sports have hit rock bottom within the last calendar year, and while just about everyone here will agree that we are set up for future success, we need a couple seasons to get the word out beyond Ames. Like you said, if we show up mid-pack in basketball and find our way to a couple of more bowl games, we'll be in a much better position to stay in a power conference should Texas start testing the waters again down the road.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
Have you read what Chip's stuff has said? It has said a contract giving 17 to each school. The thing to please Texas is allowing them their own network.

Maybe I'm not understanding this at all, but that would sound like we would have equal TV revenue sharing minus individual networks then? I took the whole "$17 million per school" thing to mean the conference will have $170 million a year to divide up unevenly amongst 10 schools, just like our current contract gives us $8.5 million per school yet Baylor gets $7.1 while Texas gets $10.2.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Who says we'll be reduced to that. A big east tv deal could still be worth a substantial amount of money.

If we maintain 5 windows for TV programming, and their are 10 teams it may be that every game gets televised so in effect everyone would get an equal share of revenue using the current model.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
Have you read what Chip's stuff has said? It has said a contract giving 17 to each school. The thing to please Texas is allowing them their own network.

I would be OK with Texas having their own little network. $3 million is a drop in the bucket when you consider the difference between their entire athletic budget and ours. I would be more than happy if we raise our conference income from $7 million to $17 - which would essentially raise our total athletic department budget by about 25%!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Maybe I'm not understanding this at all, but that would sound like we would have equal TV revenue sharing minus individual networks then? I took the whole "$17 million per school" thing to mean the conference will have $170 million a year to divide up unevenly amongst 10 schools, just like our current contract gives us $8.5 million per school yet Baylor gets $7.1 while Texas gets $10.2.

I'm not saying it is accurate or what really will happen. the thing that makes me think it may be the proposal is that I haven't seen that 170 million number. The things I have seen have said 17 million per school.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
But we wouldn't be getting $17 million. That number assumes equal revenue sharing. Texas holds all the cards here, and Beebe is still the commish. Who's to say they don't work it out so Texas is getting $24 million while we get just $10 million?

An extra $2.5 million (or whatever our masters at UT decide to give us) would be nice, but without equal revenue sharing this deal isn't quite so amazing.

If we maintain 5 windows for TV programming, and their are 10 teams it may be that every game gets televised so in effect everyone would get an equal share of revenue using the current model.

No matter how the $170 million is distributed, it is SUBSTANTIALLY more than we've gotten in the past. The chances of it being $24 for Texas and $10 for Iowa State are zero.

Spursfan11

Jun 13, 2010
Who says we'll be reduced to that. A big east tv deal could still be worth a substantial amount of money.

Again you are working under the ASSUMPTION that the Big East wants Iowa State at all.

There is no concrete evidence that this is the case. It would be nice for Iowa State to have options, but there is no indication that this is even a possibilty other than some connecting of the dots by people on here based on a few newspaper articles doing the same thing.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Again you are working under the ASSUMPTION that the Big East wants Iowa State at all.

There is no concrete evidence that this is the case. It would be nice for Iowa State to have options, but there is no indication that this is even a possibilty other than some connecting of the dots by people on here based on a few newspaper articles doing the same thing.

We're ALL working under assumptions. Assumptions that what ChipOB is posting is correct, assumptions about the big east, etc, assumptions about the MWC, assumptions that Texas wont up and leave and make this all moot, etc, etc.

Remember, there's still a high probability that either UT or A&M make the conference jump. I'm assuming that if either of them jump, this deal is off (though could we still pull this off as a 9 team conference without A&M? doubtful, but who knows), and it would not surprise me at all if either of them headed out.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006

Neither would there likely be any indication of that. Others, like decision makers, likely have better, and possibly concrete, information than people posting here on message boards. ISU is currently a member of the Big XII in good standing. Any discussion beyond that depends mostly on what Texas does.

CarlSpackler

Dec 19, 2008
M-Town, Ia
WHo the hell cares? Why is everyone so hung up on generating the same revenue as Texas? It will never happen. They will always make more than us. It is called capitalism. We should be focusing on putting ourselves in the best position for us, not the worst for Texas. Under the new TV deal, they would make the same as us. If they start the network they will be around 20 million. SO they make 3 more than us on TV. I can handle that.

Totally agree. The jump to $17 million would be huge for us. If UT got more because they are UT, so what. Nobody ever told me life was fair. This is our best case scenerio.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I think in this upcoming football season we have "crooked" refs that ruin games for Nebraska, CU and Mizzou. Seriously, make these punks pay for betrayal.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

That Jim Williams story has made the rounds. If the Big East wanted to refute it, they could have very easily. The fact that they've taken no means to quash that story is very interesting.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
That Jim Williams story has made the rounds. If the Big East wanted to refute it, they could have very easily. The fact that they've taken no means to quash that story is very interesting.

I would be super excited bball-wise at the Big East scenario. Football-wise I think the 9-10 team Big 12 would be cool.

Deep down probably pulling for the Big East still, but the other scenario is probably best for ISU.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest

who knows, maybe they leaked it to him to let the Big 12 remnants know its okay to call, just like Texas/Pac 10 used Orangebloods.

isunomad

Aug 31, 2007
Des Moines, IA
I would be super excited bball-wise at the Big East scenario. Football-wise I think the 9-10 team Big 12 would be cool.

Deep down probably pulling for the Big East still, but the other scenario is probably best for ISU.

I think the 10 team Big 12 is a ridiculously good bb conference. We just got rid of by far the 2 worst programs. Imagine an 18 game, double-round robin schedule. SWEET!

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
IMO:
1) ISU needs some time to get some success in FB and MBB
2) As long as we can maximize our TV potential as a conference, let TX have their own network. As long as it means:
a) The conference packages get first dibs on all games (to maximize worth)
b) All TX Network games are available (free of extra charge) to the competing teams. IE, ISU vs TX volleyball be on for ISU fans to watch too.
c) Any games not picked up by the conference package can be picked up by anyone. I.E. Football games not televised by the conference package could be picked up by CTN, Mediacom, etc.

That could actually work to ISU's advantage. Too bad we don't have a television station anymore to leverage for our own network.

Last edited:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
There will still be no Big 12 network because Texas wont allow it to happen since they will have their own network. Does Beebbe realize that is why we are here? Texas got all the power and ****** the rest of the conference off, now he wants to give them more power.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
There will still be no Big 12 network because Texas wont allow it to happen since they will have their own network. Does Beebbe realize that is why we are here? Texas got all the power and ****** the rest of the conference off, now he wants to give them more power.

I dont know if beebe has a choice. Beebe hasnt been a great commish, but in many aspects, his hands were tied by the universities he represents.