Encouraging news from Orangebloods

Spursfan11

Jun 13, 2010
How will your conscience feel if the loss of that $3-$5 million means no more wrestling program at ISU?

And don't forget the decimation that will occur to volleyball when the coach leaves, and what it will do to Fenelly's (sp never good at it) recruiting as well.

There are the two programs that people on here are most proud of. Gut them, and see how well it goes. Maybe MVC level at best, more likely Southland conference level.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Why are people throwing a fit over the unequal revenue sharing? It's less than 5% of our budget in most years, and the potential gains are astronomical if you can find a way to keep Texas happy. $7 million to $17 million is a huge change no matter how you slice it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Why are people throwing a fit over the unequal revenue sharing? It's less than 5% of our budget in most years, and the potential gains are astronomical if you can find a way to keep Texas happy. $7 million to $17 million is a huge change no matter how you slice it.

But what does texas's revenue jump from\to?

Its an arms race. It doesnt matter if you've just upgraded from horses to tanks, if texas just upgraded from tanks to nukes.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
So you do want Iowa State athletics to completely disappear then?

Yeah pretty smart, I am not even sure that you are a Cyclone fan, but you should stop.

As for the rest, this is insane. Get away from the only reason that the athletic budget has increased, playing in a BCS conference.

Wow now it cy eat cy around here.... sad..... IF IF the trend is to the 16 team football conferences the BCS will follow have no doubt they love money too. Whoever actually has 16 football teams will have a market I dont care if it wyoming and other or Cincinnati and others and will be able to demand a BCS. Grow a pair.

Not a cyclone fan....:no:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Texas will always have more money, just like Ohio State will always have more $ than Iowa, even with equal revenue sharing in the Big 10. I'm fine with all of this.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

Its an arms race. It doesnt matter if you've just upgraded from horses to tanks, if texas just upgraded from tanks to nukes.

There's absolutely no reason for us to be chasing Texas. We need to be catching the Kansas', Kansas State's, and Missouri's of the world before we try for Texas, A&M, etc. We started WAY behind when Pollard took over in 2007, and right now we've closed the gap on the bottom of the conference, with a little more money to work with, its not hard to think Pollard can do that much more to get us completely out of the cellar in the Big 12. Take care of the budget and I think you'll see a lot of other things fall into place.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

WHo the hell cares? Why is everyone so hung up on generating the same revenue as Texas? It will never happen. They will always make more than us. It is called capitalism. We should be focusing on putting ourselves in the best position for us, not the worst for Texas. Under the new TV deal, they would make the same as us. If they start the network they will be around 20 million. SO they make 3 more than us on TV. I can handle that.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
There's absolutely no reason for us to be chasing Texas. We need to be catching the Kansas', Kansas State's, and Missouri's of the world before we try for Texas, A&M, etc. We started WAY behind when Pollard took over in 2007, and right now we've closed the gap on the bottom of the conference, with a little more money to work with, its not hard to think Pollard can do that much more to get us completely out of the cellar in the Big 12. Take care of the budget and I think you'll see a lot of other things fall into place.

I agree. The success of the Big 12 going forward, assuming everyone stuck around would depend completely on whether or not Texas wasn't trying to get out, NOT about equal revenue sharing.

As long as we're all on TV, getting a chance to actually earn our keep, I think it's all good.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007

But we wouldn't be getting $17 million. That number assumes equal revenue sharing. Texas holds all the cards here, and Beebe is still the commish. Who's to say they don't work it out so Texas is getting $24 million while we get just $10 million?

An extra $2.5 million (or whatever our masters at UT decide to give us) would be nice, but without equal revenue sharing this deal isn't quite so amazing.

jhill

Apr 10, 2006

Couldn't agree more. Iowa State can use Texas, just as much as Texas might use Iowa State. Keep the Big 12 together, get a big bump in budget and continue the facilities upgrades. With solid coaches in place in Rhoads, Hoiberg (hopefully), Fennelly, Jackson, etc......and facilities upgrades, Iowa State can hopefully get out of the cellar and become a middle of the pack athletics school -- at least in the perception of the media and nationally.

That way, when the next conference realignments come around, and they will, Iowa State will be more than just an afterthought.

Spursfan11

Jun 13, 2010

And so you would rather have Iowa State be reduced to spitballs?

Because this already underfunded AD is going to take a huge hit if they lose this conference affiliation. This deficit is why Iowa State is a have not. That is the reason that noone cares about where we end up if this thing blows up.

The thinking that exists amongst some of you in this thread is stunning. On the one hand it's "oh my God the sky is falling, we're doomed." Now with a possibility that could save this universit's athletic program (albeit an incredibly small one), people now want to place limitations on it because they hate Texas.

You know who you should all hate? Fox. They are the ones that run the BTN, and they will run the PAC 16 TV contracts as well. They are the driving force behind this, not Jim Delany, nor Deloss Dodds.

If you are going to hate, at least direct it in the right area.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Texas' own TV sports network, where they would keep all of the revenue, would be competing against our own Big 12 network for sponsors and ad dollars.
The population in Texas is equal to or greater than the rest of the Big 12 put together. Where do you think companies in Texas who support the Longhorns will be encouraged to put their $$$? It sure won't be the Big 12 network.
The Pac-10 ain't dumb, folks. They said no-go to Texas' own network, for it would siphon off ad dollars from the Pac-10's...

OK, none of that matters to me if we are making 17 million. That is what matters. Who is saying there is going to be a Big 12 network. All i Have seen is the TV deal. So let's say it's FOX. Do you think they will forfeit the Texas games to the Texas Network? I highly doubt it.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
But we wouldn't be getting $17 million. That number assumes equal revenue sharing. Texas holds all the cards here, and Beebe is still the commish. Who's to say they don't work it out so Texas is getting $24 million while we get just $10 million?

An extra $2.5 million (or whatever our masters at UT decide to give us) would be nice, but without equal revenue sharing this deal isn't quite so amazing.

Have you read what Chip's stuff has said? It has said a contract giving 17 to each school. The thing to please Texas is allowing them their own network.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Have you read what Chip's stuff has said? It has said a contract giving 17 to each school. The thing to please Texas is allowing them their own network.

he also said unequal revenue sharing. It could be an avg of 17.. or a floor of 17, with more based on appearances, plus whatever you get from your own network.