ESPN article with comments on TJ

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Crazy how there was a common thought that the defense would take a step back this year. Still a ton of season left, but holding UH & OSU to their lowest offensive output of the season bodes well.
We've made a noticeable improvement in avoiding fouls. Seemed like every game last year the other team was in the bonus at the 10min. mark and we'd have 3-4 guys in foul trouble by the end. We fouled like crazy last year. I think we're also a better rebounding team this year too which helps.

Teams basically don't score around the basket against us other than on fast breaks or offensive rebound put-backs.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Crazy how there was a common thought that the defense would take a step back this year. Still a ton of season left, but holding UH & OSU to their lowest offensive output of the season bodes well.

I don’t think it was unreasonable, given who graduated last year. Regardless, great to see the team continue to be tops on the defensive end.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
We've made a noticeable improvement in avoiding fouls. Seemed like every game last year the other team was in the bonus at the 10min. mark and we'd have 3-4 guys in foul trouble by the end. We fouled like crazy last year. I think we're also a better rebounding team this year too which helps.

Teams basically don't score around the basket against us other than on fast breaks or offensive rebound put-backs.
Yeah, I love how we trap without fouling and how our bigs stay vertical on defense without fouling. Well disciplined!

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016

I think the decrease in fouls is the single most remarkable accomplishment this season. Whoever worked with Jones and King on controlling their bodies, kudos, to you!!! Allowing those guys to be aggressive the whole game has made a big difference. Good job to coaches and players!!

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

I've noticed this too. There were a lot of games lost last year because the opponent was in the bonus with 10 minutes to go.

Reactions: cymac2408

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I've noticed this too. There were a lot of games lost last year because the opponent was in the bonus with 10 minutes to go.
I seem to recall a game (at Texas Tech?) last year where the opponent was in the bonus in the second half before the first media timeout

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I think the decrease in fouls is the single most remarkable accomplishment this season. Whoever worked with Jones and King on controlling their bodies, kudos, to you!!! Allowing those guys to be aggressive the whole game has made a big difference. Good job to coaches and players!!
I don't know this, but I'm guessing coach Green is a big part of this. He's been such a valuable addition to TJs staff.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

Your intuition is right, and there's been improvement in pretty much every area that the team struggled in Otz's first couple of years.
1705333840304.png (Note that the component stats aren't adjusted for opponent, so there might be some distortion in the ranks to the extent that Iowa State has had a weaker schedule than the rest of D1.)

On defense, turning the opponent over at a similar rate while rebounding a bit better, fouling significantly less, and improving the 2-point defense. On that last one, I'm not exactly sure what the reason is, but that's a big change. I suppose part of might be due to playing bigger, plus maybe an improvement in individual perimeter defense not allowing open drives that require over-rotation.

On offense, huge improvements in turnovers, free throw rate, and effective field goal percentage. The field goal percentage hasn't really come through in Big 12 play, but the decreased turnovers have been big, and the free throw rate and ability to get inside have shown through.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm not concerned about him leaving but soon TJ will be like Campbell and will be mentioned every time a coaching vacancy comes open.

I bet he squashes any rumors emphatically. He seems like a lifer, unless we treat him unfairly.

He has an ancestral connection to Iowa State (sees Pollard and Fennelly and McCarney like fathers to him, married a Cyclone legend, Iowa State gave him his first "big boy" basketball job back in the day, etc.) that Campbell just doesn't have to the same degree. It's not impossible he'd leave, obviously, but I think he's smart enough to realize he can make plenty of money and do plenty of winning in Ames for a long time.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I'm not concerned about him leaving but soon TJ will be like Campbell and will be mentioned every time a coaching vacancy comes open.

TJ has deeper connections to Iowa State and the basketball job is much better than football.

The Big 12 is the top dog in college basketball. Exceptions exist but you're not going to see many Big 12 coaches leaving the conference for other jobs.

Reactions: VeloClone

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
TJ has deeper connections to Iowa State and the basketball job is much better than football.

The Big 12 is the top dog in college basketball. Exceptions exist but you're not going to see many Big 12 coaches leaving the conference for other jobs.

One exception off the top of my head would be Wes Miller to UNC if Hubert Davis doesn't work out.

Reactions: alexssdean12

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Really the only downsides to the Iowa State job are what ISU can pay you (relative to the Big Ten and SEC schools who have infinite money machines) and NIL (again, something similar there).

But if are comfortable doing a bit more with less or resources that are "good enough" though not enough to break the bank and making steady money yourself... then Iowa State is a great job.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu