ESPN article with comments on TJ

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I'm not concerned about him leaving but soon TJ will be like Campbell and will be mentioned every time a coaching vacancy comes open.
I just don't see people expecting him to leave. Big 12 is the premier basketball conference. I would think media members recognize the vast majority of other schools would be viewed as a lateral move at best. Only the top "blue bloods" would be viewed as a step up, but even then it's a low probability he would even consider such a change.

I really don't think Otz will be discussed to open positions anywhere near like Campbell

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
He has an ancestral connection to Iowa State (sees Pollard and Fennelly and McCarney like fathers to him, married a Cyclone legend, Iowa State gave him his first "big boy" basketball job back in the day, etc.) that Campbell just doesn't have to the same degree. It's not impossible he'd leave, obviously, but I think he's smart enough to realize he can make plenty of money and do plenty of winning in Ames for a long time.

Perhaps just IMO, but considering Otz's already long history and connections with ISU I'd say it would probably be his dream to be in the same category as Fennelly - an ISU lifer and coaching legend.

Reactions: StClone

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Really the only downsides to the Iowa State job are what ISU can pay you (relative to the Big Ten and SEC schools who have infinite money machines) and NIL (again, something similar there).

But if are comfortable doing a bit more with less or resources that are "good enough" though not enough to break the bank and making steady money yourself... then Iowa State is a great job.

It certainly helps perception that we are clearly the premiere program in the state over our Big 10 rival. Including better fan and NIL support.

The next step is I hope we can become a bigger player in the transfer market. A starting post player to replace Ward/BRE/Tre isn't going to be cheap this offseason. Can I interest anyone in a MBB $250k match drive come early March? @brentblum ;)

Reactions: brentblum

alexssdean12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2018
One exception off the top of my head would be Wes Miller to UNC if Hubert Davis doesn't work out.
tbf I think a lot of Big 12 coaches would leave for UNC or any other blue blood. But outside of Duke/UNC/Kentucky most jobs would be lateral jobs at best

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It certainly helps perception that we are clearly the premiere program in the state over our Big 10 rival. Including better fan and NIL support.

The next step is I hope we can become a bigger player in the transfer market. A starting post player to replace Ward/BRE/Tre isn't going to be cheap this offseason. Can I interest anyone in a MBB $250k match drive come early March? @brentblum ;)

My hope/theory is TJ and KG can find some diamonds in the rough... like, well, Ward, Big Rob, and Tre... and do enough with them in one offseason to have them be serviceable in the Big 12 next season.

I doubt we have the budget to buy premium assets there unless you bump into a guy who doesn't care nearly as much about money as winning and sees himself slotting in with this excellent group of guards.

Add in what you can get out of Rock and maybe that's good enough to reload.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Hiring Green for defensive improvement was a genius move by TJ. TJ has known defense, but not top tier, so like Fred did early, he knew who to hire and bring in to improve the trajectory of the program. Hats off. It's fun to be on the winning side again.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
My hope/theory is TJ and KG can find some diamonds in the rough... like, well, Ward, Big Rob, and Tre... and do enough with them in one offseason to have them be serviceable in the Big 12 next season.

I doubt we have the budget to buy premium assets there unless you bump into a guy who doesn't care nearly as much about money as winning and sees himself slotting in with this excellent group of guards.

Add in what you can get out of Rock and maybe that's good enough to reload.
My dream scenario is Omaha coming back for a year to pair with Rock and one transfer big. We are going to have an embarrassment of riches at guard, so I'd have to think we'll run at least 3 guards at all times.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
My dream scenario is Omaha coming back for a year to pair with Rock and one transfer big. We are going to have an embarrassment of riches at guard, so I'd have to think we'll run at least 3 guards at all times.
Will have to fight off some major suitors for those guards/wings! But that's the world we live in.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Just imagining the shooting next year (knocks on wood) with Milan and Nojus on the floor
lol-hey.gif

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Crazy how there was a common thought that the defense would take a step back this year. Still a ton of season left, but holding UH & OSU to their lowest offensive output of the season bodes well.
To be fair they've really been improving (especially Milan and Gilbert IMO) and getting Ward back changes a ton on defense. Without him they definitely looked a little weaker on defense.

Reactions: StratCY

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
He has an ancestral connection to Iowa State (sees Pollard and Fennelly and McCarney like fathers to him, married a Cyclone legend, Iowa State gave him his first "big boy" basketball job back in the day, etc.) that Campbell just doesn't have to the same degree. It's not impossible he'd leave, obviously, but I think he's smart enough to realize he can make plenty of money and do plenty of winning in Ames for a long time.
The Iowa state basketball job is also a much better job than football….in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

DrShip

Dec 30, 2013
Rio, WI
I seem to recall a game (at Texas Tech?) last year where the opponent was in the bonus in the second half before the first media timeout
Pretty sure is was at West Virginia. absolutely brutal game. They called 5 fouls in the span of a minute game time.

Never say never, but I think TJ's plan is to stay here. When he was hired he said his goal was to turn Iowa State into the elite basketball destination in the upper Midwest. His recruiting grounds are nearby. We may not have the money of other schools, but there is plenty of support. Factor in all the personal connections and seems like a no brainer he would stay.

If he left, it would be a blueblood hire. If UNC or Kentucky call and you're a basketball coach, you gotta pick up the phone at least. I can see with Campbell if someone like MSU called you listen, and hoping on the money train becomes tempting. Not for basketball, though.

Reactions: Cyhig

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
So what metric should I care about the most?

A macro-metric like AP ranking, BPI, NET?

Or a micro-metric like Adjusted defensive efficiency or Defensive turnover percentage?

Tlyon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2017
We've made a noticeable improvement in avoiding fouls. Seemed like every game last year the other team was in the bonus at the 10min. mark and we'd have 3-4 guys in foul trouble by the end. We fouled like crazy last year. I think we're also a better rebounding team this year too which helps.

Teams basically don't score around the basket against us other than on fast breaks or offensive rebound put-backs.
I think a small part of the improvement is the new block/charge rule. We are taking so many less charges but at the same time we aren’t putting ourselves in a position to get a block called

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

100% agree BUT we must also treat him fairly and pay him well. If there is one thing that is common in any industry is underpaying someone because they like you as an employer. Basically don't give him a reason to even look around.

Right now TJ is the 60th highest paid coach in the country. That was fine when he was hired and is probably even fine for this year but demonstrating success 3 years in a row with the trajectory the program is on, he should get a nice bump soon IMO.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Crazy how there was a common thought that the defense would take a step back this year. Still a ton of season left, but holding UH & OSU to their lowest offensive output of the season bodes well.

I didn't think so but also thought Watson would be a much bigger part of the equation for us. Was really high on him and Ward before the season started. Ward has been better than I even thought he would be. If he can play 25 minutes a game it would be an absolute game changer for this team.

Reactions: StratCY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron