ESPN Laying Off Additional On-Air Personalities

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I never watched Hassel on ESPN, due to my personal ESPN, boycott but I liked him when he was here and I'm aware he's a Hawk fan. He's really talented. Bad deal but he'll land on his feet.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
So did ESPN pretty much get caught with their pants down in investing in a system that worked great 10 years ago? And now they're firing talent which will surely bolster its competition....

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Wait, what channel shows Aussie Rules Football? That sport is super entertaining.

My son watches it a lot, I can't remember if it is mostly streaming, Fox Sports, or an ESPN.

And I don't want anyone to lose their job, I would have been very happy for him to stay at ESPN, which I don't watch much, but I certainly don't want another Hawk troll sports reporter back in Iowa. He made a living ridiculing people in his skits and enjoys trolling college athletes.

• Dislike
Reactions: M3MEPLEASE

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I enjoyed Hassel on Soundoff and thought he was good when I did tune in to Sportscenter. He may be a Hawk, but he did at least try to have fun with it when the Hawks blew the lead in Ames 2 seasons ago.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
This thread taught me that a lot of our fans on here are ass-hats.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
So did ESPN pretty much get caught with their pants down in investing in a system that worked great 10 years ago? And now they're firing talent which will surely bolster its competition....

???

ESPN has minted insane money for years. they created the system, they dominated. they're still making a ton of money. their business is slowing, probably more than they thought, so now they're reducing their costs.

• Winner
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
All the ESPN hate aside, the sad thing about this is good people losing their jobs because of things way out of there control. Cord Cutters really have nothing to do with quality of programming in general, it's really what is being charged for it (for the most part).

And those contracts to buy televised game inventory just got way out of control. Think about how many of these jobs could have been saved if ESPN could have even offered 1 mil less to any conference football contract. Instead the money is now used so the University of Texas can get insanely tricked out lockers for all football players rather than towards quality talent/programming during non-live events.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

They pioneered their business model, and have been wildly successful with it. It's pretty genius, too. They make a ton of money off of people who don't even consume their product. A great model, so long as bundled cable packages are the only game in town for TV. Well, that has changed. And it's not just affecting them. Cable subscribers are down across the board. They're just affected more than other networks because they have some of the highest subscriber fees and so much of their revenue comes from them.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
All the ESPN hate aside, the sad thing about this is good people losing their jobs because of things way out of there control. Cord Cutters really have nothing to do with quality of programming in general, it's really what is being charged for it (for the most part).

And those contracts to buy televised game inventory just got way out of control. Think about how many of these jobs could have been saved if ESPN could have even offered 1 mil less to any conference football contract. Instead the money is now used so the University of Texas can get insanely tricked out lockers for all football players rather than towards quality talent/programming during non-live events.

ESPN has been bloated with on-air talent, though. They had so many people who did basically the same thing. Regardless of if they could have saved the jobs, would they have? You can make and argument that they should have purged some talent for a while now.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Someone just called into KXNO and said that he thinks that ESPN got rid of only white men and that ESPN focused too much on the Redskins issue. I think I read a similar comment on here earlier. It seems obvious, but obviously not to white men who have decided they are victims, but ESPN probably laid off more white men than any other group because ESPN employees more white men than any other group.

The real issue in all of this is that we, as consumers, expect to get everything for free. We want our news for free. We want our sports for free. We don't want to pay for a subscription to a newspaper, but then we complain about news coverage. We don't want to pay for ESPN, but then we ***** when we don't get to watch whatever sporting even is on. We want to have access to every cyclones.tv production, but ***** when some are premium and require an $80 annual payment for content. I am amazed at how many people claim not to watch ESPN. Do you never watch Iowa State conference road basketball games?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
ESPN has been bloated with on-air talent, though. They had so many people who did basically the same thing. Regardless of if they could have saved the jobs, would they have? You can make and argument that they should have purged some talent for a while now.

This is very true. There were only a few names I even recognized and sad about. I always wondered how many of these people you see on one-off assignments made a living. I figured they all had side-gigs and just did contract/freelance type work for ESPN.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Cowherd isn't always my favorite, but he gave some good insight today in this interview. Go to about the 13 minute mark for the part on ESPN. The stats he gave about ESPN's NBA and NFL contracts is mind blowing - especially the NFL contract comparison between ESPN and Fox.

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...layoffs-fox-sports/1lxzeu6azs3pr17vuasn67wwl5

Interesting stuff, except he says that he started looking around for other opportunities at the time ESPN started signing all those bloated contracts. I'll go ahead and call BS. He was forced out. Nice try Colin.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron