ESPN+ perspective.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
If you watch Monday Night RAW (USA network currently) or Friday Night Smackdown (FOX currently) you'll get caught up in their stories that lead up to their big live premium events. (Wrestlemania, Royal Rumble, Summer Slam...etc) If you want to watch those live events, you'll have to have Peacock. They hold the rights to all WWE Premium live events. If you enjoy watching that, Peacock is worth the $6 a month fee. Plus, now you'll get a Hawkeye game or two...but quite frankly, watching that offense is like watching paint dry.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My dad is a huge hawk fan and he is irate. I told him I think it’s just the beginning for programs like Iowa.

Not saying your dad was like this but there seemed to be more of a 'little brother'-ness from B1G/Iowa fans because of ISU fans having to watch games on ESPN+ without seeing that the concept was going to expand.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Not saying your dad was like this but there seemed to be more of a 'little brother'-ness from B1G/Iowa fans because of ISU fans having to watch games on ESPN+ without seeing that the concept was going to expand.
Yeah…my old man is 75. He doesn’t care about anything but Iowa football and basketball. He doesn’t understand or know about everything else that is going on. I’m not 100% sure he knows a lot of Iowa State content is on ESPN+. He just doesn’t understand why he won’t be able to watch the Iowa game today unless he gives someone else money.

Much like a lot of us were when ESPN+ was the new thing. I remember damn near everyone on here ******** about paying $5 for ESPN+. “I’ll never do it. **** em” they would say. I wonder what they say now? I’m guessing the majority do have it now.

My dad, on the other hand, at his age, if he ever relents, I will be shocked. I actually feel bad for him, a little. Not bad enough to buy a Peacock sub for him, but kinda bad (kinda :p).

Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah…my old man is 75. He doesn’t care about anything but Iowa football and basketball. He doesn’t understand or know about everything else that is going on. I’m not 100% sure he knows a lot of Iowa State content is on ESPN+. He just doesn’t understand why he won’t be able to watch the Iowa game today unless he gives someone else money.

Much like a lot of us were when ESPN+ was the new thing. I remember damn near everyone on here ******** about paying $5 for ESPN+. “I’ll never do it. **** em” they would say. I wonder what they say now? I’m guessing the majority do have it now.

My dad, on the other hand, at his age, if he ever relents, I will be shocked. I actually feel bad for him, a little. Not bad enough to buy a Peacock sub him, but bad (kinda :p).
Yeah mine's 76 and doesn't have internet, but has an Ipad that gets internet via some sort of deal.

Explaining to him all the things he could watch if he learned how to use it is exhausting.

Reactions: enisthemenace

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I think ESPN + is a helluva service and awesome for sports fans. So much sports content at very little cost.
And you will able to watch their linear content (ESPN, ESPN2, etc.) on there soon, which is what everyone who subscribes to it thinks they are getting. I think that move will really help ESPN because folks care most about the live sports, which they have a ton of rights to

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I remember back when we first had some games on Thursday nights and Iowa fans saying you'd never see Iowa playing on any day but Saturdays. And now the B1G is on Friday night every week.

Then when some of our games were on ESPN+, Iowa fans laughed and said you'd never see Iowa fans having to pay for a streaming service to watch their games.... ha!

Reactions: 2speedy1
Sep 10, 2015
I remember back when we first had some games on Thursday nights and Iowa fans saying you'd never see Iowa playing on any day but Saturdays. And now the B1G is on Friday night every week.

Then when some of our games were on ESPN+, Iowa fans laughed and said you'd never see Iowa fans having to pay for a streaming service to watch their games.... ha!
I’m sure this is true. Unfortunately this is going to be the case for every team and I’m sure this is just the beginning. I mean, even the NFL now has Thursday night games exclusively on Prime. The transition will be gradual but I’m sure we are all going to have to keep ponying up for streaming services so the media companies can recoup the massive investment they have made in sports media rights.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I’m sure this is true. Unfortunately this is going to be the case for every team and I’m sure this is just the beginning. I mean, even the NFL now has Thursday night games exclusively on Prime. The transition will be gradual but I’m sure we are all going to have to keep ponying up for streaming services so the media companies can recoup the massive investment they have made in sports media rights.
We are all going to miss cable and DVDs soon.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

It always seemed a bit naive that we'd all cut costs and the media industry wouldn't pivot.

Whether it's nickel and dime for every service or dramatically increased fees for internet access they'll get paid for content.

I still have family who spends $200/mo to watch Gunsmoke reruns because it's easier. It'll all land somewhere in the middle

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
My issue with espn+ has always been the quality. There are way too many “technical difficulties” on it. I know you get what you pay for and they don’t produce the content themselves, but by slapping their name on it I do think they have responsibility for the quality (i.e. they can’t hide behind it’s not our fault).

It doesn’t help that their technical difficulties screen is a 10 second clip of an announcer saying something like “watch your favorite sports on espn+”

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
People bash ESPN+ but it’s honestly pretty great. Only around $10 per month and there's an absolute trove of content not just for football, but so many Olympic sports and smaller colleges that there would otherwise be very limited access to.

I'd much rather pay to watch the Clones on ESPN+ and gets tons of supplementary sports content, than buy Peacock for one or two games a year and get trash sitcoms and maybe a soccer game here or there the rest of the time.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Everything by subscription is heading this way. Like MLB subscription for your team. Watch all of your teams games! Well except those blacked out in your state, and those we sell to Amazon or ESPN or SnappleTV or whoever.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Everything by subscription is heading this way. Like MLB subscription for your team. Watch all of your teams games! Well except those blacked out in your state, and those we sell to Amazon or ESPN or SnappleTV or whoever.
The MLB model of blacking out games needs to go the way of the Dodo.

The fact that Iowa has every regional game blacked out unless you have a cable sub with the regional sports net is ridiculous.

There is a reason the MLB and their regional networks are losing money, and struggling with fan support.

If you buy the MLB streaming package you cant watch any games from the surrounding states. No Twins, No Cardinals, no Royals, no Brewers, etc. Iowa is the state with the most blackouts in the country. I believe there are 6 teams blacked out in Iowa. And then the MLB streaming pack is double what every other service is.

Their regional sports network and their rules need to go away, and soon.

• Agree
Reactions: SerenityNow

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Yeah mine's 76 and doesn't have internet, but has an Ipad that gets internet via some sort of deal.

Explaining to him all the things he could watch if he learned how to use it is exhausting.
Tell him he is giving old people a bad reputation. I don't know anyone that age that's that backward. I've helped my grandkids with their computers. At least we don't have to put up with him here.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
People bash ESPN+ but it’s honestly pretty great. Only around $10 per month and there's an absolute trove of content not just for football, but so many Olympic sports and smaller colleges that there would otherwise be very limited access to.

I'd much rather pay to watch the Clones on ESPN+ and gets tons of supplementary sports content, than buy Peacock for one or two games a year and get trash sitcoms and maybe a soccer game here or there the rest of the time.
Hey, now, The Office, Parks & Rec, and Brooklyn 99 take offense at that!

(I‘m not interested in shelling out for Peacock either - I especially don’t like this new streaming trend of pay a lot for no ads, or pay a little less for ads, too; what the heck am I paying for if you’re still feeding me commercials? - but not everything there is necessarily “trash” per se)

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Tell him he is giving old people a bad reputation. I don't know anyone that age that's that backward. I've helped my grandkids with their computers. At least we don't have to put up with him here.
I have met literally thousands of people that are that age (76) who are “that backward”, that’s not a rare phenomenon

Help Support Us

Become a patron