ESPN's Way-to-Early Top 25 in WBB for 24-25 lists the Cyclones at #10. What do you think?

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
So ESPN ranks the Women 'Clones at #10. Interestingly, that places ISU above any other B12 WBB team; Baylor is #13. ESPN places high praise on Audi Crooks, suggesting she should appear on numerous pre-season All-American lists.

ESPN got one thing right - it is way too early. But it is fun to speculate, especially with Aili Tanke winning the 3-point competition this past weekend.

What do others thing?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
We got into rankings last year barely then fell right out. Of course having Ryan healthy to start season will out next season will make a huge difference. Think 10 might be a tad high. I'd be ecstatic with just being somewhere in 25 on a weekly basis.

Last edited:

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
We got into rankings barely then fell right out. Of course having Ryan healthy to start season will out next season. Think 10 might be a tad high. I'd be ecstatic with just being somewhere in 25 on a weekly basis.
If Aili can hit 19 out of 25, 3 pointers in a game, we should be ranked higher. Only took her a minute to get of 25 shots.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
So ESPN ranks the Women 'Clones at #10. Interestingly, that places ISU above any other B12 WBB team; Baylor is #13. ESPN places high praise on Audi Crooks, suggesting she should appear on numerous pre-season All-American lists.

ESPN got one thing right - it is way too early. But it is fun to speculate, especially with Aili Tanke winning the 3-point competition this past weekend.

What do others thing?
It is certainly good to get the positive press.
With the current pieces we have , I do not see us as a top 10. We need several key portal acquisitions to even approach top 10. Price of womens players has increased dramatically. Question if we can compete.
But it’s obvious you must get pieces that fit.
LSU found you cannot necessarily buy your way to a title.

Then there is Emily. Stanford was the best game of her life. Aberration or the new Emily?
I am very much looking forward to next year. Should be great - a very good team. Great team with a couple portal home runs, or at least doubles.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Would like to see them get a proven shooter or 2 in the portal to be in the top 10 conversation. Maybe Joens takes a big step forward and becomes more consistent or Tanke has an immediate impact to fill that role but would like to bring in a player like Belanger only a little better if possible. Losing Bristow and Diew hurts the depth so another wing player that can play the 3 or 4 is probably needed too.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I love my Clones, but seems a bit high. We have some pieces we still need to find in the Portal and while we have a great core, that would be expecting Audi to be completely unstoppable and hot every night.

While there is no Cyclone WBB without CBF, we also haven't massively overachieved in quite some time. We've done well, and we're always competitive, but it's not quite like TJ minting gold coins out of aluminum ingots*.

*That might be my favorite personal made up line of all time.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
We are extremely thin in the front court. Wonder if Nelly knew of someone coming in already? If Brown isn’t a true 4, we have Williams (hasn’t played much college ball at all) and Audi for our entire 4/5 lineup.

I assume we’re hitting the portal hard, but man losing Bristow and Nelly feels so tough right now.

Reactions: riceville98

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We are extremely thin in the front court. Wonder if Nelly knew of someone coming in already? If Brown isn’t a true 4, we have Williams (hasn’t played much college ball at all) and Audi for our entire 4/5 lineup.

I assume we’re hitting the portal hard, but man losing Bristow and Nelly feels so tough right now.

Which makes these silly "way too early" lists even sillier in the age of transfers. Other than the top five or so, who knows who is leaving/joining the other teams at this point. We are in the middle of the portal recruiting for 2024.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
It is certainly good to get the positive press.
With the current pieces we have , I do not see us as a top 10. We need several key portal acquisitions to even approach top 10. Price of womens players has increased dramatically. Question if we can compete.
But it’s obvious you must get pieces that fit.
LSU found you cannot necessarily buy your way to a title.

Then there is Emily. Stanford was the best game of her life. Aberration or the new Emily?
I am very much looking forward to next year. Should be great - a very good team. Great team with a couple portal home runs, or at least doubles.
I'm not sure I would say *several* key portal acquisitions, but I do agree that I wouldn't see us as top 10 right now. I think I would say, though, that with a freshman to sophomore jump from Audi and Addy, and a 4/5 portal piece, top 10 could be possible with limited roster adds.

For Ryan, I don't think Stanford was a total aberration, though she probably won't score 36 points again. Thinking back to her sophomore year, at the end of the season she was showing more scoring potential (3 of the last 6 games with 20+ points). Then in her junior year that kind of went away (0 games with 20+ points over the entire season, and a big drop in efficiency). She's shown flashes of higher-level scoring before. (The 22/23 season was just kind of weird for everyone shooting-wise. I kind of think they might have tried so hard to fit in Soares that it screwed everything else up.) An offseason of her getting more familiar with how to play with Crooks should also help a lot. Ryan hadn't really played with someone like her before, so there was definitely an adjustment period.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Seems high. When we were playing at our best this year with everyone healthy, not sure we were particularly close to a Top 10 team.

Are we Top 10 if Crooks and Brown both take big steps forward? Maybe, even then I'm not sure. Those two plus ER are great but there's a lot of good teams out there.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
For Ryan, I don't think Stanford was a total aberration, though she probably won't score 36 points again.
In the Stanford game she was the best player on the floor. It's WONDERFUL that we'll have another year of her leadership and competitive spirit. Like everyone else, I think Top 10 is too high.

Dale

Mar 5, 2010
Chicagoland
Seems high. When we were playing at our best this year with everyone healthy, not sure we were particularly close to a Top 10 team.
Baylor ended the year AP #13, and we beat them both times we played (home and neutral). KSU ended the year AP #19, and we beat them both of the times we played (home and away). I don't think the season as a whole for Iowa State is the resume of top-ten team, but I think that at their best -- everything after, say, mid-February, when their only losses were to Texas and Stanford -- they came pretty close.

Last edited:

Dale

Mar 5, 2010
Chicagoland
Just as a data point supporting my argument, I created a spreadsheet that takes the current Massey WBB computer rankings and compares them to the rankings on February 19th (the only one available in archive.org this year) to impute what their ranking in games since that date would have been.

Massey has two ratings, so I'll give them both:

Massey Ratings (based on wins/losses) since 2/19:
1. South Carolina
2. Iowa
3. LSU
4. Connecticut
5. Notre Dame
6. USC
7. Iowa St
8. Texas
9. NC State
10. Duke

Massey Power (margin of victory/Vegas-style) since 2/19:
1. South Carolina
2. Connecticut
3. Iowa
4. LSU
5. Texas
6. Notre Dame
7. Indiana
8. UCLA
9. Tennessee
10. Duke
11. Mississippi
12. NC State
13. Iowa St
14. USC
15. Baylor

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
I appreciate everyone's comments here. Throughtful and reasoned. I agree with the majority that #10 may be a bit ambitious right now; we will miss Diew more than most people think, unless we find a replacement.

Nice to see the Clones get some lovin' from ESPN for a change. Times really are changing.

If we learned anything from this year's tournament, it is that bench strength counts - a lot!! UConn would have beaten the Hawks if they didn't have to back off on defense when fouls started to get wracked up. If the Hawks had more of a bench, or developed more of a bench, they would have been a tougher opponent for South Carolina. And while South Carolina had a ton of talent, and a ton of physical pluses (length being the big one), their bench overwhelmed their opponents; the starters could struggle but Staley had plenty of strength to draw from her bench. I hope no one reads this that I was not impressed with the incredible caliber of their starters, because I was hugely impressed. But I was equally impressed by their depth. My point here is that if Bill wants to really push his team to greater heights this year, bench strength is really, really important.

Finally, for what it is worth, I think we are a top 20 team right now. With the two excellent freshmen coming in, a couple of solid transfers brings us to top 15. A home run in the portal and we are top 10 or better. For what it's worth!!

Reactions: acoustimac

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
I appreciate everyone's comments here. Throughtful and reasoned. I agree with the majority that #10 may be a bit ambitious right now; we will miss Diew more than most people think, unless we find a replacement.

Nice to see the Clones get some lovin' from ESPN for a change. Times really are changing.

If we learned anything from this year's tournament, it is that bench strength counts - a lot!! UConn would have beaten the Hawks if they didn't have to back off on defense when fouls started to get wracked up. If the Hawks had more of a bench, or developed more of a bench, they would have been a tougher opponent for South Carolina. And while South Carolina had a ton of talent, and a ton of physical pluses (length being the big one), their bench overwhelmed their opponents; the starters could struggle but Staley had plenty of strength to draw from her bench. I hope no one reads this that I was not impressed with the incredible caliber of their starters, because I was hugely impressed. But I was equally impressed by their depth. My point here is that if Bill wants to really push his team to greater heights this year, bench strength is really, really important.

Finally, for what it is worth, I think we are a top 20 team right now. With the two excellent freshmen coming in, a couple of solid transfers brings us to top 15. A home run in the portal and we are top 10 or better. For what it's worth!!
What I’m afraid of is us not being able to pull any difference makers in the portal

TrulyCyclone

Jul 31, 2021
What I’m afraid of is us not being able to pull any difference makers in the portal
Would you have viewed Belanger as a difference maker? The rumor is she was unwanted in the portal. Transfers are weird and impact is hard to evaluate.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY