Expansion candidates that made the cut in 2016

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
You’re being hyperbolic, and frankly illogical.

The non-relative budget would take a big hit, the odds of w/l on what is basically the same schedule won’t.

With a spot in an expanded playoffs this only impacts small dicked men at the water cooler. Without a spot it constrains the program if frequently winning 10+ games against what will be a similar SOS for 11/12 games

We were having a legitimate conversation about ISU and the future of college athletics till this one. Now you can just **** off.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Guess it can’t happen if it hasn’t already happened yet.

So it’s not guaranteed then? Got it

Do you think that since espn’s lawyers can get out of paying for secretly negotiating with ou and ut, they can not include the big 12 in any playoff expansion scenario?

do you think the big 10 will be willing to sacrifice a playoff bid for Wisconsin or Iowa so BYU or Cincinnati can get a bid in their place?

• Dumb
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
SIAP:

"Frank the Tank" is a fun read for all things conference realignment. He has a post today about different strategies the Big 12 may employ moving forward

• Informative
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
No, I’m assuming nothing will change in the program with respect to what also changes in the programs that we play.

We’ve been trying to grow the brand (win) while having the smallest budget and worst recruiting in the conference. It can be done with a great staff, but it’s actually much easier to win and improve the brand when not having the disadvantage.

Would you rather try to succeed playing as the smallest budget program in a conference with a perception problem (old Big 12), but actually just as challenging to win…or playing in a conference of more equitable budgets, still a perception problem but actually a bit easier to win?

But do those brands matter more than they did before?

Btw, would you rather be ISU the last 4 years, or Missouri? I mean Missouri played in a better conference, more money, better bowl access! Extend that…I’d rather be Cincy the last 10 years than Missouri.

I get you want to the high floor based on the conference affiliation. You can always claim at least we’re in a conference that matters. But if THAT actually provided value, we wouldn’t be having this discussion now, and Iowa St would be a lock invite somewhere. Winning is still priority #1, and if we’re in an improved AAC with access to the playoffs, the challenge of winning isn’t harder than it is now

You can't be serious. You would rather be Cincinnati in the G5 than Missouri in SEC, making a fist full of dimes rather than $50 million cash? Come on, man.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Iowa State is very much a small die hard fanbase, that is historically very very cheap.

To think that the meager donating class will approach similar levels to what they have done up to this point, is extremely optimistic. In fact, I would say it’s probably more truthful to say many will align with your thought process.

Can't disagree that ISU is on the lower end of the donation and ticket price spectrum. But the reality is ISU's graduate base historically hasn't lent itself to a lot of big $ donor. Just think of the VEISHEA acronym. Plus no law or med school at ISU.

I would expect this is why Jamie pushed for the Entertainment District and convention facilities in the athletic complex area. Making money for the athletic department from non-traditional revenue streams.

Reactions: Cyclones1969

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Just let me ask you, did you think Scott Frost's undefeated South Florida team of several years ago deserved to be in the playoff? That's the ISU future you're describing.

Sure, I'm a casual fan. I enjoy watching ISU compete. I enjoy it a helluva lot more when it feels like they're in competing at the the top level. I'm readily admitting that will change if ISU is left out. This is exact WHY I care.

It would have been tough to justify USF with a 4 team playoff. But if the playoff gets expanded to 8 or 12 teams, then a USF or Cincinnati or Boise probably had a place in a playoff.

I think everyone agrees that placement of ISU in the Big10, SEC, Pac12 or ACC is preferred.

But if that doesn't happen- then leadership (Presidents & AD's) need to create the best possible landing spot for the Cyclones. That won't be an easy decision and Presidents will need to be future looking to CREATE the best landing spot long-term. That might mean some short term compromises.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Can't disagree that ISU is on the lower end of the donation and ticket price spectrum. But the reality is ISU's graduate base historically hasn't lent itself to a lot of big $ donor. Just think of the VEISHEA acronym. Plus no law or med school at ISU.

I would expect this is why Jamie pushed for the Entertainment District and convention facilities in the athletic complex area. Making money for the athletic department from non-traditional revenue streams.
I am curious how we will stack up this year. From everything I’ve heard, donations are up significantly, and with season tickets popping up $100 and the highest season tickets sales out there; we know that is up.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
SIAP:

"Frank the Tank" is a fun read for all things conference realignment. He has a post today about different strategies the Big 12 may employ moving forward

Some of these ideas are worse than others but it’s a good rundown of the realistic outcomes. Tech/Baylor/TCU not wanting Houston makes sense given everything, and I could see that as the reason why Memphis or USF gets spot #12 with BYU, UCF, Cincinnati. USF is actually a power conference level university academically; Memphis is not, but then again UCF is not exactly an academic powerhouse.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
You can't be serious. You would rather be Cincinnati in the G5 than Missouri in SEC, making a fist full of dimes rather than $50 million cash? Come on, man.
I’d rather be Cincy the last 5 years than Missouri. The future is a little harder, but likely the case then too. Being disappointed that a you didn’t make the playoffs >sec basement or wherever MU finished

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclones1969

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
SIAP:

Really hope that the service academies are getting consideration. Would be great additions for academics and add some historic rivalry games. Would go to 14 with them, BYU, CSU, and New Mexico. Conference would have somewhat decent geographic coherence, good academics, and a chance to solidify and grow in growing states particularly Colorado and Utah.

Really do not want city schools (except maybe Cincinnati), or any directional schools. UCF, Boise for instance make no sense geographically among other considerations.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhoISthis

CaptainEric37

Aug 31, 2021
Broken Arrow, OK
This time around, the top contenders are expected to be BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston, Boise State, SMU and Memphis.”

BYU - eh, ok but football only
UCF - yup!
Cincinnati - yup!
Houston - only if we can drop the "school" in Wacko
Boise State - only if they get rid of the smurf turf, football only
SMU - no, got enough Texas schools
Memphis - originally a yup, not so sure now, maybe if FedEx can actually find my place and deliver my **** on time

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Just let me ask you, did you think Scott Frost's undefeated South Florida team of several years ago deserved to be in the playoff? That's the ISU future you're describing.

Sure, I'm a casual fan. I enjoy watching ISU compete. I enjoy it a helluva lot more when it feels like they're in competing at the the top level. I'm readily admitting that will change if ISU is left out. This is exact WHY I care.
That would be news to Scott Frost.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
BYU is the only legit program readily available. They are in if we expand and I hope we don't do "football only". That's dumb. Legit conferences don't have "football only" members.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
"Football only" does have a negative vibe to it, just like "city" universities like Houston, Cincinnati and "directional" universities like Central Florida, alas this is the current world we live in.

The only "football only" idea I've seen and liked was Boise State as football only paired with Gonzaga for everything else. I'm not sure how bad the optics are, but BSU in FB and Zags in BB certainly caught my attention.

Reactions: Clonedogg

Gilbyone

Nov 8, 2020
The size of the football stadium is a good measure of football interest.
The remaining Big 8 have stadiums: 61,500 (ISU), 60,000 (OkSt), 60,000 (TT), 60,000 (WVa), 50,000 (KSt), 50,000 (TCU), 50,000 (Baylor), and 47,000 (KU). We currently have four schools at about 60,000, and four schools at about 50,000. (This also helps explain the problem with our last big metro school KU.)

Suggested new member stadiums: 77,200 (Houston), 63,470 (BYU), 45,301(Central Florida), and 40,000 (Cincinnati).

The two western schools match our four highest capacity schools, but the two eastern colleges have smaller stadiums than our smallest, so why add them?

Others could have included Louisville (61,000) etc.

FYI Boisie State is 36,387. UNLV is the new pro stadium, but is one more timezone west.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
The size of the football stadium is a good measure of football interest.
The remaining Big 8 have stadiums: 61,500 (ISU), 60,000 (OkSt), 60,000 (TT), 60,000 (WVa), 50,000 (KSt), 50,000 (TCU), 50,000 (Baylor), and 47,000 (KU). We currently have four schools at about 60,000, and four schools at about 50,000. (This also helps explain the problem with our last big metro school KU.)

Suggested new member stadiums: 77,200 (Houston), 63,470 (BYU), 45,301(Central Florida), and 40,000 (Cincinnati).

The two western schools match our four highest capacity schools, but the two eastern colleges have smaller stadiums than our smallest, so why add them?

Others could have included Louisville (61,000) etc.

FYI Boisie State is 36,387. UNLV is the new pro stadium, but is one more timezone west.
Is it just my imagination, perhaps wake and bake, but is this post in all expansion threads?