Expected Drop in Power Rankings Begins

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
And then what? What does that do for the rest of the season?

There's been plenty of years where ISU looked like a potentially decent team after week 3 and it didn't work out in the long haul.

I don't see how this is any different.
You know damn well as much as I do that there are fans out there that will come to games and preach ISU football if they are 2-0 but as soon as they lose a game or two they fall off the fan train and stop watching or talking about them. It makes a big difference to get wins and not a lose

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You know damn well as much as I do that there are fans out there that will come to games and preach ISU football if they are 2-0 but as soon as they lose a game or two they fall off the fan train and stop watching or talking about them. It makes a big difference to get wins and not a lose

I think you sound like an Iowa fan who's using ISU fandom stereotypes as part of your narrative.

Started out 2-2 in 2017...ISU's most relevant wins were later. Fans showed up.

Started out 1-3 last year, wins later were more relevant, fans showed up.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
My rationale for using the term "car fire" was:
A. Drive killing penalties
B. Horrendous play calling on offense
C. Poor play by the majority of receivers
D. Hit and miss blocking on the o-line

Fortunately the defense had a fire extinguisher in the back seat and while there were a few flames back there (several blown coverages on pass d) they kept them at bay pretty well.

I think the main issue was the game plan.... came in thinking we win easily with very basic plan. Do what we are supposed to do and win. Problem is, the only way UNI wins is if we do what we did... play basic and leave it up to playing fundamentally sound. While we were the better team we played with one hand tied behind our back. Purdy did not move around and force the defense to defend the run option, defense was very basic (compare blitz packages used v. WVU last year to what we did against UNI). Bottom line is, we thought we could just "show up" and play fundamentally sound, put ball in our play makers hands and win.

That is fine to have as a game plan but you have to change when it is not working as expected. My biggest issue was that they failed to adjust in game. Should have adj in 2nd qtr, absolutely should have changed after half time.

Love Campbell - but we can't just stick with a plan that is not working. Need to change it up.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Good to know we have the same type of pansies in our fanbase that populate the Iowa fandom.

I mean except not. There's a clear difference between morons at iowa who say it about another P5 team and people in our fanbase who correctly identify that playing UNI is a net negative for Iowa State when it should be scheduling a team that 1- is actually a 'buy a win' game (UNI hasnt just challenged us, theyve done the same with other programs like Iowa and wisconsin), 2- isnt abnormally hyped up to play this game because of an in-state chip on their shoulder.

Its not like other schools don't take every break they can get. Go all the way up to Alabama and usually they'll have a bad FCS team, a recently-fcs team from the sun belt, and a weak CUSA team on their schedule, while only playing 8 conference games. Yet for some reason in addition to the 10 P5 teams on our schedule we consistently schedule one of the tougher FCS matchups there is when we should be taking any break we can get, and taking one of the few opportunities to get younger guys some more reps.

Last edited:

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
I think the main issue was the game plan.... came in thinking we win easily with very basic plan. Do what we are supposed to do and win. Problem is, the only way UNI wins is if we do what we did... play basic and leave it up to playing fundamentally sound. While we were the better team we played with one hand tied behind our back. Purdy did not move around and force the defense to defend the run option, defense was very basic (compare blitz packages used v. WVU last year to what we did against UNI). Bottom line is, we thought we could just "show up" and play fundamentally sound, put ball in our play makers hands and win.

That is fine to have as a game plan but you have to change when it is not working as expected. My biggest issue was that they failed to adjust in game. Should have adj in 2nd qtr, absolutely should have changed after half time.

Love Campbell - but we can't just stick with a plan that is not working. Need to change it up.
Orrrrr......Manning has brought in a different offensive game plan and is using Purdy different (wrong) I guess we will find out what the offense does in 2 weeks

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
:eek: You do realize the Iowa game matters big time when it comes to national relevance (which we are trying to get to), momentum into b12 season and bowl game placement. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say a game does not matter as much as others
Yeah, in a 12 game season, every game matters a ton. Given we’re looking to take the next step, turning that Iowa game into a win in pretty important to improving on 8 wins. Nothing carries into the Big 12 more than wins.

• Agree
Reactions: UNI1ISU2

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Orrrrr......Manning has brought in a different offensive game plan and is using Purdy different (wrong) I guess we will find out what the offense does in 2 weeks

Ya... that is my fear. If they decide Purdy is better off sitting in the pocket we will be in trouble in 2 weeks (imho). Hope it was just a week 1 plan. Season changed when Purdy bought time and forced defenses to defend the threat of him running.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron