F*CK IOWA

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So, Iowa is still in the catbirds seat for the west, right? Wisconsin needs to win out after Thee Ohio State next week and someone needs to beat Iowa for them to win. Might come down to Iowa needing to win in Lincoln. Husker's defense looks pretty good when not playing Michigan. Could be another epic 14-10 slugfest.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
His intent is irrelevant. Per the rule book, if the returner is making any waiving motion (like DeJean was with his left arm) this is the right call. It’s not a penalty, it’s just a dead ball where it’s recovered.
Dead ball at mid field with a lot of time left to get into field goal range to win the game, but let’s be mad at the refs.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
So apparently the coordinators aren't going to be available this week during their bye week like every other year. The sort of makes me think Kirk is going to "reassign" Brian this week.
Nah, Kirk is just protecting them from everyone.

He has done it before. Any time there is a particularly bad game for Brian, he makes them unavailable.

He knows what is being said and what will be asked, so he is avoiding them.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Then why did the ref not start blowing his whistle and calling the play dead? Yes, according to the rules they got the call right, no one is saying they got it wrong, but they went to the replay to see, we were told, if he had stepped out of bound. Not to see if he had called for a free catch, only if he had stepped out of bounds.
I can see why their crappy fan base would be upset is all I am saying, I loved it, but can also see where they think they were screwed over.
Bottom line they lost, their offense sucks and they play no one, this call did everyone a favor.
Why don’t the blow the whistle sometimes when a player toes the out of bounds line, but fix it on replay? Why do they spot the ball in the wrong place sometimes, but correct the spot? Why do the let okay continue sometimes, only to review to see if the runner was down?

This was a spot issue, not a penalty. When DeJean waived, the ball was dead as soon as it was downed by MN or DeJean fielded the ball.

If Iowa fans want to be pissed, that’s their prerogative. They have to ignore or deny a whole lot to hang on to those feelings, though. Sometimes when you try to game the system, you get away with one. Sometimes it blows up in your face.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
This is worst case scenario for Iowa fans. If Kirk stays, Brian stays. If Brian leaves, Kirk leaves. They have a national reputation for being absolutely garbage for offense. And would Phil Parker be around if the Ferentz crew left? I doubt it.
Why hasnt someone came in and grabbed Parker?

I mean with his rep on the defense, why hasnt someone like USC or Denver Broncos came in and grabbed him.

• Agree
Reactions: irish and BigTurk

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Cooper and Kirk both said it wasn't a wave, it was just Cooper maintaining his balance while he was running. Watch the video and try not to laugh at that explanation.
C-k0Nt.gif

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Holy ****, why is this call even some debate. I was watching live, and it isn’t some mystery or controversy. He was waving to get away from the punt that was short. Nothing out of the ordinary. Then he fielded it and ran which he can’t do after waving. The reason people think it is never called is because the situation doesn’t happen hardly at all. If a guy is waving to get out of the way, it means it isn’t a punt he’s going to field.

And of course if it was legal, guys would wave get out of the way, then field punts and run with it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So, Iowa is still in the catbirds seat for the west, right? Wisconsin needs to win out after Thee Ohio State next week and someone needs to beat Iowa for them to win. Might come down to Iowa needing to win in Lincoln. Husker's defense looks pretty good when not playing Michigan. Could be another epic 14-10 slugfest.
MN has the tiebreaker now. Not sure who they have left.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Then why did the ref not start blowing his whistle and calling the play dead? Yes, according to the rules they got the call right, no one is saying they got it wrong, but they went to the replay to see, we were told, if he had stepped out of bound. Not to see if he had called for a free catch, only if he had stepped out of bounds.
I can see why their crappy fan base would be upset is all I am saying, I loved it, but can also see where they think they were screwed over.
Bottom line they lost, their offense sucks and they play no one, this call did everyone a favor.
You have to avoid creating an inadvertent whistle incident if the review would have shown that there was not an invalid fair catch signal. Let it play out and then review exactly as they did. The real mess would have been if he had advanced the ball say 10 yards down field and then fumbled the ball back to Minny. You know that Hawk fans would be screaming that the ball was dead when it was fielded.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines

I mean with his rep on the defense, why hasnt someone like USC or Denver Broncos came in and grabbed him.
Probably has had offers but a lot more long term security inside Ft. Kinnick and many years of 1+ million dollar pay checks go a lot further in Iowa City than a few years of 2/2.5 in LA or other downtrodden NFL markets.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Let's be honest...call sucked for Iowa and that kind of stuff normally happens to ISU so I get it....that being said - 1. Should never have come down to that and 2. If we're going to have a "luckiest season ever" competition, Iowa still is off the charts #1. The amount of games teams just give them wins is mind boggling.
Oh I think everyone agrees the call sucked for Iowa.....but most everyone, not a squawk fan, agree it was the absolute correct call, and not even that controversial.

I have seen this called many times, there are clips all over of it being called. I think a lot of the issue is, most of the time when someone waves people off the ball, they dont then field it and try to advance it. Most of those calls I have seen dont end in a score, so dont appear as big or important, but still the call is made.

If a returner waves off players, and never touches the ball, this call is not made, so most of the time that is the case, and what people appear to remember. Its just that he waved and then attempted to return, this I have seen called several times.

I seem to remember this call in an ISU game in recent memory too, just dont know when exactly.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
We were told the replay was for our of bounds but the TV people, who were just guessing. Ref may not have blown it dead because they weren't sure.

It's a good rule too. If they allowed the low waving all the time, returners would try to fake out the other team.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

He probably wouldnt make that much more moving somewhere else. He's making like 1.4 mil and the highest paid college DC is at 1.9 mil (and at this point Iowa would almost have to match if Parker made noise about leaving). NFL DCs don't make all that much either reportedly. He might make 2 mil doing that, but would have to live in a more expensive city.

Reactions: 2speedy1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Oh I think everyone agrees the call sucked for Iowa.....but most everyone, not a squawk fan, agree it was the absolute correct call, and not even that controversial.

I have seen this called many times, there are clips all over of it being called. I think a lot of the issue is, most of the time when someone waves people off the ball, they dont then field it and try to advance it. Most of those calls I have seen dont end in a score, so dont appear as big or important, but still the call is made.

If a returner waves off players, and never touches the ball, this call is not made, so most of the time that is the case, and what people appear to remember. Its just that he waved and then attempted to return, this I have seen called several times.

I seem to remember this call in an ISU game in recent memory too, just dont know when exactly.
Most wave off players with both hands and not one.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Looked to me in real time like he was trying to wave to tell his teammates to get out of the way due to the short punt while he was pointing up at the ball.
Still against the rules, if you then attempt to return said punt.

People keep bringing this up, but most of the time those that are waving off players dont attempt to return the punt, and when they do, they are supposed to and usually are called for invalid fair catch.

It is absolutely fine to wave off your team if you never touch the ball and let it roll and be downed by punting team. The problem comes when someone waving then attempts to grab and return the punt.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
That’s right. He was not trying to fair catch but def got his arms a little high, so it was the right call.
High or not, its still a fair catch signal. If it is low, it is invalid fair catch, if it is high it is valid fair catch.

ANY WAVING is considered a fair catch signal. Only difference is if it is invalid or valid. Valid provides catch protection, invalid does not, in both cases ball is dead at that spot, unless fumbled.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron