F1 2023 Discussion

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Are the preseason testing sessions televised at all?

DTS tomorrow and racing next weekend. **** yeah.
Think it’s exclusive to F1TV and Sky Sports television. I don’t know that ESPN has the rights to broadcast testing and practice sessions, do they?

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I can't say I know enough about testing.
Do we care about posted times and speeds?
I'm sure they are running numerous testing programs. Just wondering what to really read into during testing.

Anyone have something specific they keep an eye on?

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I'm sure they are running numerous testing programs. Just wondering what to really read into during testing.

I am no expert, but you can't pay attention completely to lap times, as we know know the fuel loads. There will be some places where you can find laps that are stitched together when they do long running that might give an indication who is fast. First day is ususally all about getting the kinks out, putting in laps. Obviously each team has their own run plan, that dictates what they do. Typically, there is one session where everyone will put on the softest tire and goes all out for a lap, but you can't read into it to much as again you don't know fuel loads.

I expect this year to start like last year ended, there aren't that many changes. RB will be fast for at least the first few races, Ferrari will be just behind, and Merc is a wild card, but with probably the most changed car, they will be behind. They did get a good amount of laps in. Merc have also historically played this stuff close to their vest in the past. They won't show their pace until Q3 of the first race. But that is pretty true for all team, except Ferrari. historically they want to put down a fast time so they can point to in their very Italian way. But maybe with new leadership this year, they are being smarter with there testing.

TLDR - its fun, there isn't much a casual fan can glean from it. Trust nothing.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN

Basically - CARS ARE DRIVING FAST! And it gives us interesting things to observe and make too much out of.

• Love
Reactions: ISUKyro

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN

I like to look at the different finishes for teammates and see if that carries into the season.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
We cancel our YouTubeTV during the summer after basketball is done. I switch to F1 TV at that point and I agree, it’s awesome.
I have a dream of setting up three large TVs (or more!) with the main feed in the center, and two drivers of interest (or more!) on either side.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Logan Sargeant had a good morning. Is that real pace in the shitbox Williams or is it just a super light fuel load?
1677245528304.png

Last edited:

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

It really depends on what they're doing for the lap. If they're doing qualifying simulation runs like they would during Q2 then it matters.

Reactions: ISUKyro

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I'd say we can learn next to nothing from the times in testing, but it's still fun to imagine a young american driver in a car that has a little pace. Even if a competitve Williams seems beyond the realm of possibility haha.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Drive to Survive is on Netflix now... Just sayin