F1 2024 Discussion

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Max is a fantastic driver, that is obvious when you hear other drivers talk about him, and his accomplishments.

This isn't to take away from Max, I think it is true with every dominate driver F1 has had. The driver and the team are able to create a car that in that driver's hands is just better than the individual items on their own. Max is the best driver in F1 right now, I have no doubt he would be successful at other teams, but the dominance wouldn't be there like it is with RB.

Is max the best driver on the grid, yes, is he this much better than his rivals, no. both of those things can be true. Someone else needs to get their car to work properly.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Drop some links

• Informative
Reactions: JBone84

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Pretty much agree with what others summed up here. I think the general consensus is that it’s between 70/30 and 80/20 as far as how much is performance from the car vs the driver. Should also keep in mind that teams at the top are generally focusing strategy (and thus their key engineers and resources) on the No. 1 car. Checo is a fantastic driver- the disparity isn’t just a reflection of skill levels, there’s a bigger picture behind it.

No. 2 drivers are going to be asked to do more to support the team with that in mind (pitting to defend against over-cuts or under-cuts). Dominant teams have clear roles laid out, you don’t get to be the best having teammates regularly fight on track (it’s too risky and slows both drivers down).

We’ve seen this over the years when there’s a clear number one, teams need a supporting driver. This is why Albon didn’t last at Red Bull, Max was fighting against two Mercedes drivers by himself routinely. Once he finally gets a good support, it propels his performance forward. Recall Checo’s defense at Abu Dhabi in 2021 (along with a combination of a couple other things) helped Max win the crown that year.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I’d also add, just because there are 20 seats does not mean these are the 20 best drivers in the world. There are guys brought in purely because of their cash flow resources that can fund a team- this is especially common in the form of pay drivers.

Mazepin is a more extreme example, but I would argue Stroll or even someone like Sargeant embodies the discrepancy in skill here because of the funding they provide.

With that, not everyone can do what Max is doing and not everyone can keep up even if they’re given the same car. This was true for Max and Alex, Lewis and Valtteri, etc.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Here is an honest question - What makes Max/elite drivers so good? Like I figured at this level, where there are only 20 guys, that the best of the best wouldn't be separated by a lot. But it seems like Max is a lot better than the next closest driver. I mean no matter who was in the other RB I think he'd still beat them.

Max is a generational talent and this is confirmed with other drivers during interviews. He’s just a touch better than most at a lot of factors that all add up. Newey/Red Bull have a car that fits his driving style. He’s able to operate it at limits that would cause other drivers to spin. He also has an insane commitment to racing overall. He’ll finish a weekend and be in the sim on his plane when he’s flying out.

Specifically with Checo, Max brakes earlier and is on the throttle earlier for a faster exit in the corners. This suits the car that they’re running. He’s better at managing tire deg. He’s smoother on the throttle so the car is less jittery.

Overall, he’s just incredibly consistent at a really high level without making mistakes. He’s able to process information and make micro adjustment at a ridiculous level similar to someone like Schumacher.

• Agree
Reactions: JHUNSY

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Like the others have said,
Here is an honest question - What makes Max/elite drivers so good? Like I figured at this level, where there are only 20 guys, that the best of the best wouldn't be separated by a lot. But it seems like Max is a lot better than the next closest driver. I mean no matter who was in the other RB I think he'd still beat them.

It's a couple of things, one of them is just pure talent. Just like Jordan, Tiger, Brady, there are some guys who are simply just flat out better than other people. There are a bunch of other factors (dedication, environment, work ethic, etc), but at the end of the day, some people are just flat out better.

Like others have mentioned, top teams tend to have a #1 and a #2 driver. The car, its development, and the strategy are always going to be setup to favor the #1 guy. See all the drama with team orders and whatnot. Telling drivers to abort fastest lap attempts so that the #1 guy can get the point for the drivers standings, who gets to pit first or second, etc.

The other thing that helps make them so good is that they end up on teams that can support them. To put it in perspective if you consider the driver to be the QB, the car is the offensive locker room, and the team is the coaching staff/front office. You get high performers in all three spots and you simply become dominant.

Reactions: Clonefan94

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
ʞǝǝʍ ǝɔɐɹ
Daniel-Ricciardo-shoey.gif

Reactions: tim_redd

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Albon crashes his car, and they will have him race Logan's the rest of the weekend.
Ouch! What a slap to the American. (I mean, probably the right call if you hope to get any points this weekend at all, but still)

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Albon crashes his car, and they will have him race Logan's the rest of the weekend.
Ouch! What a slap to the American. (I mean, probably the right call if you hope to get any points this weekend at all, but still)

Williams wasn't scoring points this weekend anyway. gotta tank the confidence of Logan. I get he isn't great, but that's just bush league from Williams.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
When they said they didn't have an extra chassis I just assumed that meant their most up to date version and in an emergency they'd have to ship an older one out there, not that they'd run one car. That's a tough look.

Albon's wreck looked nasty, good thing he kind of skipped off the wall instead of hitting it more perpendicular.