Facilities and financial update from Jamie Pollard

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
My wife's best friend's dad was the former technical director of Iowa state center and his office was in Hilton. He still has very strong feelings over the merger/takeover of ISC.

She got to experience a lot of behind the scenes and on the court experiences that one can only dream of. She knows every nook and cranny of Hilton. Courtside tickets for the Kansas game, seating in the pressbox for the Van Halen concert was another, and has a signed ball from the 94-95 team. She got to watch numerous practices, hung out in the basketball offices, met and interacted with the players. She got to be a ball girl and was featured in a DSM register story during Fred's years.

Thankfully she has embraced TJ but Fred leaving was a lot of ugly crying
She probably also got to go up in the roof!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There are a couple contributors on here that were part of the old management of The Center that could contribute a lot of information.
Is Joe on here??? Hey bud, the lock wasn’t bad, you just swung your arm wildly to catch your watch. The truth after 30 years.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
She probably also got to go up in the roof!
On the roof is another thing. Always a wind up there, think we were supposed to be fired if ever up there. One dude was crazy and loved going up there, not my cup of tea after the first time.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
On the roof is another thing. Always a wind up there, think we were supposed to be fired if ever up there. One dude was crazy and loved going up there, not my cup of tea after the first time.
It is windy but a great view. Didn’t like being on the roof of CY. Most fun was riding on the Zamboni and waving to my fellow ushers

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It is windy but a great view. Didn’t like being on the roof of CY
Never went up on CY, Hilton was enough for me. Crazy foreman that took us up there liked to stand with his toes at the edge. I think I did more jobs at Hilton, was offered to be a foreman at CY but was graduating soon and was content ad an AF.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I understand the increase and need to build revenue. And have no problem with it. We had thought about moving up a level, but with the increases, We might actually move down a donor level. We are looking at our perks vs $$ and what we actually get. We currently hold 4 season tickets for football and men's basketball in the non-donor sections. Its what fits our budget.

For us it has more to do with my personal budget vs not wanting to give. My wife and I love to travel and the increase is a fairly hefty amount for us. We don't have the advantage of a group working together or work match for the donation. We will weigh the pros and cons in the next couple of months. But are actually leaning towards decreasing our donation.

What kind of perks do you want for the donation level you are currently at? I'm genuinely curious.

I donate at Cardinal and will increase to the $750 to stay there. My two tickets are in non-donor section because they are row 3 and I'm sitting around friends. Normally, only one of my two is used unless I give it to another friend or coworker, or I can't go at all and sell them both. Based on the "benefits" listed, the only one I use is buying the football parking pass. Couldn't tell you the last time I used any of the membership discounts. Beyond the parking pass, any other benefits are pretty worthless to me.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think the up riggers used to go up there for a fresh air break quite often during load ins. Sadly, I was usually a down rigger so I rarely got up on the roof. Never made it up on Stephens roof.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think the up riggers used to go up there for a fresh air break quite often during load ins. Sadly, I was usually a down rigger so I rarely got up on the roof. Never made it up on Stephens roof.
I was always a grunter, so I rarely went into the ceiling. I set meat racks and chairs besides unloading. At the end Michelle would let me work locker room detail. Got to meet the acts but it could be long boring days. Better than the time I had to guard the locked door. Think that was Loverboy. Nobody coming in because it’s locked and no one is leaving that door.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I think you do turn off some entry-level types with a mandatory "donation" that doesn't feel like the ticket price.

As an alternative, you could reduce the number of season tickets available to non-donors. Manufacture some scarcity. "Sorry the 5,000 season tix for non-NCC members are sold out, but if you join the NCC even at our lowest level, then there ARE tickets available at the same price but in a slightly better location".

I know that is kind of semantics, but I think it accomplished the same goal and would be better received. You create the perception of scarcity, and the perception of a benefit for your donation with improved seats (even if it is only 2 rows better in reality). Both those things create value in the mind of the buyer. Even at the same ticket price. You'd be not only getting a donation, but a new NCC member, and those are sticky revenue sources.

The reality is, this was not possible until ISU was reasonably selling out JTS, which is really only a very recent occurrence. When tickets on the secondary market are selling for more than $80 the arithmetic turns to the AD's favor as opposed to when they are selling for $25.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I've always thought that the entertainment district idea was best if done more north and west as possible. If they included some facets of it right at Lincoln Way and Beach, a larger student component (housing/restaurants/bars) could be incorporated for more consistent non-event business.

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
We need to double the number of donors. That would help us immensely!

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

Anyone else see this put out by UCF? We're going to need to juice up our fundraising in the new Big 12. We're dead last including the new schools. (BYU isn't included).

Football drives all athletics fundraising.

ISU has had the least amount of sustained winning in the conference. It is critical to our future that we continue to do well on the field.

UCF has the potential to be a monster if they commit to it. They have clearly identified the requirements. There is no reason ISU should not be at least where KSU and WVU are at, which would still be lower half...

Reactions: Cytown12

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Football drives all athletics fundraising.

ISU has had the least amount of sustained winning in the conference. It is critical to our future that we continue to do well on the field.

UCF has the potential to be a monster if they commit to it. They have clearly identified the requirements. There is no reason ISU should not be at least where KSU and WVU are at, which would still be lower half...
Or Tx Tech, the average gift is low but more of them are doing it, we have more living alumni than them...

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009

Anyone else see this put out by UCF? We're going to need to juice up our fundraising in the new Big 12. We're dead last including the new schools. (BYU isn't included).
Had to laugh at the request for $5 million donors: “if you have 5 million to give, what are you waiting for? ...”

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020

But they don't call me. What do I get for my donation? They ask for too much.

6,000 donors - pitiful. Thank you to those that give. To the rest of you, quit making excuses and write the check.

Come on folks.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
These donation figures always are presented as averages. Median figures could be more telling. Just have not seen presented as such.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron