FB or BB will have the Best Season?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Definitely basketball with this metric.

However, I think fans will be more satisfied with the football season than basketball season - given the recent history of both programs. We will see some improvement in wins in football and will see a drop-off of wins in basketball. I think football is more likely to go to a bowl than basketball is to get to NCAA tournament.
100% agree.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I'm going to go with football....i believe we will get to 6 wins...and, if we win a bowl...huge turn for the program.

I think bball will do ok this year, probably will not compete for a title (reg season or Big 12 tourney) and I think the dance is going to be a tougher go than years past and no real "leader" to take them there....and if they do make it, still would give football the nod if they can win 6...maybe even 5.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Unless football has a season like Chizik's second year (2-10, wins over South Dakota St. and Kent St. and then things just went to hell, including the OT loss at UNLV after that miraculous comeback to make a heck of a game out of it), I think we will look at the football season positively. The worst thing about that year was we rarely challenged teams and, when we did, we collapsed, and, most importantly, it was the second year of the new staff and things should have been trending upwards. If Campbell does badly in the W-L column, assuming the games are competitive, I think we will all mostly give him a pass. Year three -- Park's senior year, the full weight of the new recruiting coming online -- is when I would start expecting at least some results, especially given the conference home games we will have as comparatively winnable.

Basketball, I honestly do not know. Last year's team was struggling on the bubble at the middle of the season but, towards the end of the year, was playing like a Top 15 or even Top 10 program. It took time for them to gel, to get used to the "all guards all the time" lineup, to live without Georges, for Jackson to emerge, and for Solomon to settle in as our first (and basically only) big man, which is never easy in the Big 12. Honestly, my expectations are rather low. The roster has always entirely reset from last year. I would hope for something like Hoiberg's first team -- clearly maybe not the most talented or experienced, but they play hard, fast, and fun, and clearly going somewhere very soon thereafter. The conference is going to be difficult and we have few opportunities in the noncon to really burnish our resume, so we cannot afford many slip-ups (like last year). Losing Jackson will hurt, but the young core of Wigginton, Long, Talley, NWB, Lewis, Jacobson, Young, and Lard is going to be around for three more years, so I what I want to see is assurances that core will do something good and interesting while together the next two years in Ames. Looking the part of a rebuilding year would be okay for me.

I think the football team going 6-6 and the basketball team sneaking in as a #10 or #11 seed -- my slightly homer predictions for each -- would be pretty equal seasons.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman and NWICY

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Football certainly, if you take into account where both teams have been the past 3-4 years. Expecting them to take a step forward and perhaps an expected step back in basketball.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I have my big gulp of kool-aid for football in hand.

big-gulps-huh-o.gif

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
You did predict us to go 7-11 in conference basketball last year so I'm still standing strong on the wrong side of the bubble.
Yes I did and it felt that way the first part of conference play but Prohm did a great job coaching our talent down the stretch...we had great talent and he had them playing well

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yes I did and it felt that way the first part of conference play but Prohm did a great job coaching our talent down the stretch...we had great talent and he had them playing well

I know just giving you a hard time. I remember going into the Baylor game at Waco everyone thought we were going to lose by 30 and we almost pulled that one out.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think ISU is about due for a 1999-2000 like athletic season:

Football - 9-3 and first bowl game in over 20 years.
MBB - Conference regular season and tournament champs; Elite 8
WBB - Conference regular season and tournament champs; Sweet 16
Wrestling - NCAA runner up

I doubt it is this year...

• Funny
Reactions: YeahBuddy

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I hope you are dead wrong, but I tend to agree. Just way too many unproven guys and chemistry is not going to be there for this team. Hats off the Prohm if he can make this year a winner.
I will say following the guys on social media they actually seem ahead of other teams in the chemistry department. Lot of doing stuff together and they just had a team outing that looked like it went well.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Im going with basketball because Keith Murphy said that ISU football is worse than mediocre. I disagree with mr murphy that football is that bad, but it has been mediocre for a long time but NOT worse than mediocre

Come on Campbell win 5 games and shock the murphy's of this world....

Go Cyclones and beat the puny putty tats from cedar falls

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Im going with basketball because Keith Murphy said that ISU football is worse than mediocre. I disagree with mr murphy that football is that bad, but it has been mediocre for a long time but NOT worse than mediocre

Come on Campbell win 5 games and shock the murphy's of this world....

Go Cyclones and beat the puny putty tats from cedar falls

What was the context of his comment?

The current state of the program is below mediocre, but trending up - I think we can have a mediocre season this year which will be really encouraging. As for the history of the program - we are so far below mediocre that it's laughable to think we are even close. We are easily one of the worst P5 schools when it comes to a total history of the program.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

The current state of the program is below mediocre, but trending up - I think we can have a mediocre season this year which will be really encouraging. As for the history of the program - we are so far below mediocre that it's laughable to think we are even close. We are easily one of the worst P5 schools when it comes to a total history of the program.
I don't know whether to agree with this post or dislike it because both apply...

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Football will have the best offense in school history. Basketball will have better defense and height than usual.

Football will be better than it's been, basketball might be able to reach a similar level(hopefully)?

Reactions: NWICY

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

I heard that on Soundoff last night. Context was the definition of Mediocre, which is, essentially, Average.

We'd love to be average.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
6 win football season overshadows a decent bball season. Maybe finally get to use that football bowl game fund lol.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that FB ends up in the 5-7 range with a shot at 6-6. MBB I think they're a bubble team that could end up in the play-in game or the NIT. Hilton will give them a few wins that they have no business getting. If I'm right, I'd be more happy with FB, but plenty happy with both.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I think the football team going 6-6 and the basketball team sneaking in as a #10 or #11 seed -- my slightly homer predictions for each -- would be pretty equal seasons.

That's about where I stand. I'm thinking 5-7 FB and 10 seed BB. Even though it'd be an upturn for football compared to past few years, NCAA Tournament bid still has an edge on sub-.500 FB (the way i see it).

My best-case/worst-case within realistic** range for each, including postseason games as it applies:
Football: Worst-case, .333 (4-8); Best-case, .538 (7-6)
Basketball: Worst-case: .548 (17-14), miss NIT; Best-case, .628 (22-13)

** "Realistic" is vague term, let's say extremes on either end of spectrum would be considered outlier expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sigmapolis

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Interesting side topic to try and define what in football equals what in basketball. The greater basketball ratio of non-con to conference will tend to skew the simple winning percentage.

Bowl game = NIT? Or NCAA ?
Bowl win = NCAA?
9 wins = sweet 16?
Conf. champ. game = Big 12 tournament champs? Or Elite 8?
Playoffs = the end of the world Final 4?