Votes: 63 42.3%
  • A cherry wheat

Votes: 29 19.5%
  • A light IPA with an apple hint

Votes: 28 18.8%

• Total voters

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I don't believe I've ever had an apple IPA, and I've had wayyy too many craft beers in the past few years. Interesting. As long as it's not too cider-y, that has potential.

My vote was for the raspberry IPA - just as long as it's not too fruity/sweet. The fruit/juicy notes should come from the hops used. Not overly bitter just a nice juicy pale with the red color of raspberry would be pretty cool. Can't wait!
Same on all of the above.

Don't over-fruit it! If the raspberry flavor is light and more for coloring, that sounds perfect to me

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm okay if C-Dubs sits down at the bar with the BarnTown folks and just makes a decision. It has been fun talking about beers and names, but the fact is that I am really excited just to have this CF novelty beer. Whatever you decide will be fine with me.

Agreed. I vote for the raspberry IPA because I'm trusting Barn Town to deliver something really light and easy to drink but not too sweet. But whatever the decision is I'm very curious to try it.

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm okay if C-Dubs sits down at the bar with the BarnTown folks and just makes a decision. It has been fun talking about beers and names, but the fact is that I am really excited just to have this CF novelty beer. Whatever you decide will be fine with me.
I was prepared to agree with you, but then I remembered that CW often touts Busch Light as his beer of choice so...

• Funny
Reactions: baller21

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
So I'm going to Barn Town tomorrow to record a pod and make a decision. If you guys have questions for Pete about the beer brewing process, let me know. I'm hoping this will be a fun, long relationship with them where we can have a beer club and all kinds of stuff.

Assuming the choice is an IPA, maybe you could ask Pete to talk about different types of them and how the brewing process will work to come up with something that isn't a West Coast style. I don't speak for anyone else, but when someone mentions an IPA I immediately think of a beer that smells like pine needles and tastes hopelessly bitter. But I know that they don't have to taste that way.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Assuming the choice is an IPA, maybe you could ask Pete to talk about different types of them and how the brewing process will work to come up with something that isn't a West Coast style. I don't speak for anyone else, but when someone mentions an IPA I immediately think of a beer that smells like pine needles and tastes hopelessly bitter. But I know that they don't have to taste that way.

BarnTown specializes in the NE style, so that should not be a problem. A 5-6% NE Pale Ale/IPA with a hint of raspberry for coloring sounds like the best happy medium we could achieve.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I was prepared to agree with you, but then I remembered that CW often touts Busch Light as his beer of choice so...

Good point. But even if it tastes like Busch Light, I'm glad they are making the effort and I will support it (while hoping they make something better).

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
BarnTown specializes in the NE style, so that should not be a problem. A 5-6% NE Pale Ale/IPA with a hint of raspberry for coloring sounds like the best happy medium we could achieve.

Would that be similar to something like Blond Fatale? That's a pale ale, right? Just trying to get an idea of what a light raspberry IPA might taste like.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
So I'm going to Barn Town tomorrow to record a pod and make a decision. If you guys have questions for Pete about the beer brewing process, let me know. I'm hoping this will be a fun, long relationship with them where we can have a beer club and all kinds of stuff.

Ask about upcoming special releases for the remainder of the year. Anything sitting in bourbon (or other) barrels at the moment?

I'd also be interested to know what his favorite non-Barntown brew is and a beer they have brewed that he is most proud of.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
In the end it doesn't really matter. I KNOW that whatever they brew the good folks here on CF and ISU fans will drink them dry. Guaranteed. Even if they ended up with a red colored Busch Light.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk

Pine needles is more of a west coast style IPA. The northeast style IPAs that barntown does are citrus juice flavors and no pine bitterness. They do have some bitterness but nothing super overwhelming.

You should try Toppling Goliath pseudoSue as an intro to a juicy pale. That was my gateway into craft beer. It's a solid brew you can find on tap or in cans around the state.

• Informative
Reactions: jbindm

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Would that be similar to something like Blond Fatale? That's a pale ale, right? Just trying to get an idea of what a light raspberry IPA might taste like.

No, Blonde Fatale is a strong Belgian-style wheat ale. This will taste more like slightly thick orange juice with a hint of raspberry and maybe a hint of alcohol, depending on the strength of it.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Of the options, I know that Barntown can nail the raspberry IPA based on their other beers. That reason alone gets my vote.

alenz95

Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames

Yeah. How many of these does he think we'll be able to slam in he parking lot out side Jack Trice during halftime without missing the opening kick to start the second half?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Maybe this has already been answered, but is the beer going to be canned or bottled?

Help Support Us

Become a patron