Financial Tracking options

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've used Mint forever but it sounds like it's going away at the start of 2024. For people that use these types of sites, what do you use for a consolidated view?

• Angry
Reactions: cowgirl836

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I started using Personal Capital which turned into Empower last year. It's okay. Doesn't have a great budget component, but I don't care about that.

I have a few accounts that won't sync well, especially credit unions, but its handy.

Reactions: bos

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I started using YNAB (You Need A Budget) about a year ago and I really like it. It does cost; I think it's around $90/year.

It's a zero based budget system, which is very different than Mint. Basically, it's the electronic version of the envelope system: you put the money you have into categories and then spend money from each category. You can't budget ahead until the money actually hits your account.

It took me a while to buy into the philosophy, but I've adapted and enjoy it now. It really changes your mindset to think "Oh, we're over budget on eating out this month, I have to pull money from another budget category to cover that." So, you're adjusting your categories if you overspend to ultimately stay within your budget.

If you're just looking for a money tracking app; YNAB is not for you. I will say their customer service and help content is extremely helpful. They've got an article and/or video for every possible scenario you could imagine.

https://www.ynab.com/

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Dang, hadn’t heard about Mint. Simplifi (Quicken product) seems interesting.

I have Empower/PC but haven’t used it in a while b/c I got tired of the sales calls

Reactions: dmclone

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Never heard of this one before, but seems like it could be worth a try?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

Never heard of this one before, but seems like it could be worth a try?
I just hate paying $10/month for something I got for free.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
If you want to use spreadsheets without having to build or maintain them yourself, there's a product called Tiller. They provide the templates and they connect to your accounts for automatic updates. Cost after free trial is $80/year. They have a pretty active community and are always rolling out new sheets to try. I'm not a user but I've considered signing up and have been pretty impressed by what I've seen from them.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I used to use Mint years ago, but couldn’t get it to connect to some accounts so closed ours there.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
My wife and I just use a shared Google Sheet - we do have to manually update though, but I kind of like that aspect because there are times when I've considered a small buy and decided against it because I'm lazy and don't want to update the sheet.

Reactions: ISUCE

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If there was something that tracked or gave alerts on my budget down to the week etc. I'd be more interested in these types of things but I haven't seen anything that does that....seems like it's more of a way to check your balance just like logging in to the bank or credit card.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
ill do it for you

just hand over ur money.

im a good guy

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Anyone ever try YNAB? Quick Google search and that popped up as an alternative.

Edit: Nevermind it's not free.