Financial Tracking options

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Another new Simplifi user here. Still getting used to working with it (as with anything new) but looking like a good choice.
Same. I was pleasantly surprised by some of the things it defaulted to out of the box, which would have been my preference as well. Also, I added like 15 accounts and every single one synced up and refreshed fine with the exception of treasury direct. I was able to connect to treasury direct but the refresh didn't work so I just took it offline, which is fine for this type of account that just has ibonds.
I thought it was kind of funny that Principal is labeled as Principal Mortgage, which chose like 15 years ago.

Reactions: ianoconnor

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Same. I was pleasantly surprised by some of the things it defaulted to out of the box, which would have been my preference as well. Also, I added like 15 accounts and every single one synced up and refreshed fine with the exception of treasury direct. I was able to connect to treasury direct but the refresh didn't work so I just took it offline, which is fine for this type of account that just has ibonds.
I thought it was kind of funny that Principal is labeled as Principal Mortgage, which chose like 15 years ago.

Yeah I've had to do some finicking with the estimated paychecks, but overall seems less buggy than Mint (with no annoying ads)

Haven't added investments yet (didn't have them in Mint) but may add them later on as I get used to it.

BODWP

May 13, 2011
Tiller Money. 90 per year and it imports all transactions into a spreadsheet and also links to accounts

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
So was planning to switch over to simplifi but they dont allow unspent spending to roll over to the next month. I was really like simplifi until i got to this. It is really weird that they dont have this feature available since mint has had it since forever.

edit:
Seems monarch money has this feature. May have to make my way to them.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I just want something to aggregate all of my transactions. I budget using an offline app but used Mint to make sure I didn’t miss transactions.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I found a house with an accountant dybbuk in it and bought it. Occasionally he possesses me and updates my spending, etc. much easier than the Chupacabra I had before doing the work. Too many goats.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Rocket Money?

Never used it, but see it advertised.

Maybe some on here knows.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I attempted to switch to Simplifi today. Literally the first two connections I tried to make - Citi and Chase - did not work. Apparently there is an ongoing issue with Citi that has been unresolved for months (https://community.simplifimoney.com...rding-citi-connection-for-simplifi-vs-quicken). I immediately requested a refund. Not dealing with that.

Might try Monarch.
Weird. I have at least 12 connections, including a Chase credit card and everyone has connected every time over the last month. The only one I've had an issue with is my wifes 401k, which I think is a bigger issue with her company, which seems to requires SSO to log in. I don't have any accounts with Chase.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Signed up for Simplifi this morning. Linked all of my accounts and I'm thinking this will work well for my needs. Mint going away may have been a blessing in disguise.

Following up on this, how have you liked it after a few months? Do you have linking problems? That’s been my big issue with Empower…to the point I don’t even use it anymore.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I just use excel and manually update it because I'm a nerd and enjoy it.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
I did switch to monarch so far it's doing everything I did in mint, so I don't miss anything. Sucks to pay for it but I don't get bombarded with ads and offers like mint did.

LostinIowaCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 15, 2011
Ames, IA
I also switched to Monarch and it's been ok so far. They don't have the Iowa 529 aggregator site which is annoying, and I've had trouble with Venmo and PayPay. I think the interface is a bit cleaner than Mint, but I would have been more than happy to pay Mint $20-$50/year. I really think they screwed up by not trying to monetize the thing.

If anyone wants to try Monarch, shoot me a PM and I can give a referral code for a free month.

Reactions: ianoconnor

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
My wife and I try to have a financial meeting around the first of the month to review last month's expenses. I gave in and transferred my Mint account to Credit Karma.

What a complete joke. This credit karma does almost nothing besides a bunch of credit card offers and banking offers. It doesn't even have any budget tracking. A complete waste.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Following up on this, how have you liked it after a few months? Do you have linking problems? That’s been my big issue with Empower…to the point I don’t even use it anymore.
Zero issues besides having to pay for it. I connect to 3 banks, 2 401k,s, 2 investment banks, and 3 credit cards and I've never had an issue updating. Even my premier banking account works, which never worked with mint.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Tiller Money. 90 per year and it imports all transactions into a spreadsheet and also links to accounts
You having any issues with your accounts not auto importing? I have to refresh every day I login

BODWP

May 13, 2011
You having any issues with your accounts not auto importing? I have to refresh every day I login
There is a setting to auto import. Seems like it imports sometime from 12am to 5am. Once in awhile an account will need reauthorized, but it's not often.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Last edited:

LostinIowaCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 15, 2011
Ames, IA
Have really enjoyed Monarch thus far. @LostinIowaCity the 529s are pulling through for me. I think you need to use the alternative aggregator. It didn't work for me at first either. Had to contact the helpdesk.

Thanks!! I should have been more clear. I have the 529’s in there but have to keep doing the dual authentication because the aggregators aren’t pointing to the right website. The Iowa Secretary of State specifically set up a website for aggregators that does not require dual authentication but none of the aggregators that monarch is using are pointing to it.

@ianoconnor , are you able to get your 529’s to update without dual authentication