Finding a roommate

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Lot of good advice here.

I am still good friends with a rando that's on this board (you know who you are.) Actually ran into my first roommate randomly as a consultant to his company a few years back, haven't heard from second roommate after he moved to CO., third roommate is the rando and I have several friends that I was their RA or RAs with. All random occurrences, mostly becuase of assignments to floors.

Maybe one more piece of advice I would give is try out the halls first. Moving off campus too soon will severely reduce the number of people you will meet. My personal opinion, but I loved the residence halls in the day.

My daughter met her best friend the day we moved her in. She's not old enough to know if it will last 35 years, but I suspect it will. They were in a 4 person and ran off the other two, ha!.

Reactions: BCClone and jsb

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Don't come home until Thanksgiving at the earliest. I was always a Christmas break person since they kicked you out of the dorms.

Do random or find someone on a Facebook group. I went random and then met up with him a few months before move in since I was in Iowa anyway. Seemed like a good fit and he didn't make it to the second semester.

Friends with a good chunk of my freshman year floor 12 years later since meeting.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
As a former president of the ISU Parents Association(an advisory council in the Dean of Students office), we were told the advice is "you choose your friends,...you share a room with your roommate".

I spent my first year with one of my high school buddies. Have talked to him maybe 5 times in the ensuing 45 years.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
My son will also be attending ISU in the fall. Anyone have any advice on how he can meet a female basketball or volleyball player? He is 6’6 and likes athletic ladies.
Buy a sweat suit and heavily imply he plays on the basketball practice squad. It worked for my 6'9" roommate and also worked when he moved to Chicago and heavily implied he was a bulls bench player.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
My son will also be attending ISU in the fall. Anyone have any advice on how he can meet a female basketball or volleyball player? He is 6’6 and likes athletic ladies.
Sociology and Psychology classes is where I ran into the WBB team. Felt odd to have several women nearly as tall as myself in class.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
The Facebook group mentioned before is a great way to do it. Good way to find people with mutual interests.

Reactions: cowgirl836

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The Facebook group mentioned before is a great way to do it. Good way to find people with mutual interests.
My daughter did this, this was who reached out right away to room with her.

Thankfully she decided on Iowa then. Didn’t end up there but that saved my daughter from a mess.

CivEFootball

Sep 16, 2010
Tell him to keep his grades up then he can be become a Tudor. And then he may get assigned to student athletes.

Reactions: CycloneDaddy

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
My son and my daughter both went with random roommates. They had almost nothing in common with them and did nothing outside of the room with them, but it didn’t stop them from finding a friend group in the dorms. Their friend groups didn’t include their roommates, but it was ok. Like others have said, friends are made early in the school year and on weekends. Don’t let them go home until Thanksgiving.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Go to the games and sit in the student section or apply to be on the WBB team scrimmage team. No idea if VB has male scrimmage players.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I don’t know about basketball or volleyball players but my son met his wife when he signed up for the “move in crew”. I give him a lot of credit, he had a plan and worked it to perfection.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Lot of good advice here.

I am still good friends with a rando that's on this board (you know who you are.) Actually ran into my first roommate randomly as a consultant to his company a few years back, haven't heard from second roommate after he moved to CO., third roommate is the rando and I have several friends that I was their RA or RAs with. All random occurrences, mostly becuase of assignments to floors.

Maybe one more piece of advice I would give is try out the halls first. Moving off campus too soon will severely reduce the number of people you will meet. My personal opinion, but I loved the residence halls in the day.

My daughter met her best friend the day we moved her in. She's not old enough to know if it will last 35 years, but I suspect it will. They were in a 4 person and ran off the other two, ha!.
I lived in a four person first semester of freshmen year. Clicked right away with one of the guys and we broke off to a two person room for second semester and I’d consider him one of my best friends. Crazy how that stuff can work out

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron