Finding a roommate

isufrEEk

Apr 14, 2006
My daughter is going to ISU in the fall. We don't want her to room with a high school friend. What is the best way to find a good roommate match?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Good idea staying away from the high school friends.

I had a random roommate who is still a best friend 25 years later. So I’m an advocate for just letting fate decide and hoping for the best. And if she gets s bad one, she can switch in January.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Even if she rooms with a high school friend, she'll meet tons of new friends. Just tell her to not come home the first month, at all. That's the most important time.
Yep. No coming home. And go with her new friends to their hometowns and road-trips. Let her know this is the time she can be whoever she wants to be

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I
Even if she rooms with a high school friend, she'll meet tons of new friends. Just tell her to not come home the first month, at all. That's the most important time.
$10,000 for room and board dang right they shouldnt come home.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Also don't room with hs buddies, you can see them anyday you want. Time to branch out.

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
My daughter is going to ISU in the fall. We don't want her to room with a high school friend. What is the best way to find a good roommate match?
There's a Facebook page where incoming students can meet and exchange interests and find roommates. I think it's "Iowa State University Class of 2027" maybe? Your daughter will need to pull it up and request being added. Then she'll be able to share interests and find people who might be a good fit. Both my daughters used it, they interacted with others and when they found people that seemed like a good fit, they met up for coffee/lunch to meet in person. Might be worth checking out, worked for us. Smart move not wanting her to room with a HS friend, both our girls had/have friends going to ISU but knew that'd be a disaster.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That was my Dad’s rule when I started. And for gods sake don’t go home for Labor Day.
My parents had me move into the dorms early and paid a few bucks. Already being setup was a great way to help the others carry a box, chit chat, go to Jimmy John's, etc.

indycyclone

Sep 10, 2012
Avon, IN
My son is coming in the fall as well. Definitely no coming home until Fall Break for him. Grandma and Grandpa live in Ames so he has no need to come home…. Thanks for the Facebook suggestions…

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron