First bar you went to at ISU

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Wasn't really much of a barhopper while at Iowa State, can probably count the number of times on one hand. I did see Pomeroy play at Peoples one night, however, and it was a pretty good time.

Schriner

Oct 12, 2006
Tork's.
And what was the name of the place where your drank pitchers and ate cream cheese and bagels (on the corner)?
Dugan's Deli - great sandwiches as well.
Many a night I wasted drinking pitchers of Old Mil at Tork's. I'm getting a headache thinking about it.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
Old cy's was my first endeavor (pre-21)... spent all of my time at new cy's when it reopened as i worked there (between Mickey's, Paddy's, Sips and Cy's - it's good working at one of those bars where we all, ahem, helped each other get in, get drinks, etc) :)

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
either The Library or Johnny's Ringside Lounge...anyone remember Johnny's?

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Minor - Tip Top freshman year Saturday morning before a football game

Legal - Paddy's I happened to be checking ID's when I turned 21 (thursday night). Didn't make it to the end of the shift. Lost track of the # of shots given to me in the next hour woke up the next morning at 8 didn't sleep again until after the VEISHEA parade on Saturday.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Old cy's was my first endeavor (pre-21)... spent all of my time at new cy's when it reopened as i worked there (between Mickey's, Paddy's, Sips and Cy's - it's good working at one of those bars where we all, ahem, helped each other get in, get drinks, etc) :)

Unfortunately Cy's closed just as I started to appreciate it... I always loved going to Mickey's, especially since there were alot of current/former baseball players working there so we could sneak in through Minsky's. I still remember out coach walking in the night before a game and we all had to scale the fence off the back porch to get out...

hort4cy

Jun 29, 2006
Randalia, IA
The Cave Inn or Cy's Roost, most likely as I don't remember for sure.
But I spent the most time in Welch Ave Station as all I need to do was cut through the old Hardee's to get there. Wednesday nights were Old Style light special price pitchers.

Last edited:

Celeron

Nov 22, 2006
First bar as a minor in Ames=The Fox (we used to tear the crap out of the happy hour food there . . . . .and it always tore the crap outta us later)

First bar that I remember as post 21= Lumpy's. I can honestly say that I have no vivid memories of the place, everything is such a blur. I remember loving it though.

The bar that I spent the most time in was Thumbs with an occasional walk down the street to Boheme. Man, I need to get up there for a night of drinking real soon.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
1st 3 in order:

Cave In
Grandaddys
MQ- Mississippi Queen

Yes, I'm an old fart compared to some of you.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
either The Library or Johnny's Ringside Lounge...anyone remember Johnny's?

Yes..... I sparred in a couple of the Verbal Abuse contests at Johnnys. Remember the nickle draws there? One night the roadies from Juice Newton's band came in after the nickle draws ended and we had about 50 of them on our table, from loading up before the time ended. We gave them free beer for a couple of hours and they lined us up with free tickets to her show the next night.... 3rd row center in CY Stephens.

kmcbrid

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
www.municipalgame.com
Welch Ave Station. Became my bar of choice all throughout college and still probably is (don't get out to the bars much anymore). Spent many a summer night sitting at Welch downing pitchers a beer watching Cubs games.

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
If you wanted to buy hard liquor you had to drive to Nevada for the closest state liquor store. When I was a freshman and sophmore, you had to have a state-issued liquor book where they recorded each of your purchases. At least that was changed before I turned 21.

I remember you would write what you wanted on a slip of paper and hand it to the clerk. They would go in the back and bring you a bottle.

In 1978 or 1979 they opened the self-service stores. You got to actually look and hold the bottles before buying.

Man that takes me back!!

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Yes..... I sparred in a couple of the Verbal Abuse contests at Johnnys. Remember the nickle draws there? One night the roadies from Juice Newton's band came in after the nickle draws ended and we had about 50 of them on our table, from loading up before the time ended. We gave them free beer for a couple of hours and they lined us up with free tickets to her show the next night.... 3rd row center in CY Stephens.

those contests were hilarious!!!!!!!!!

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Having grown up in Ames, the first bar and still one of the best was actually downtown, The Whiskey River! First bar drinking in, Cafe Beaudelaire. The equivilent of Baly or that mexican joint on Welch now. First legal bar was People's for my 21st, Tuesday Twofers. But the best place ever is, was, and always will be The Lost&Found Lounge. Odd I remember this much now, didn't remember that much then.

Plus rep for you for being the first to mention Whiskey River! That was my first illegal adventure.

21st birthday was at MoJazz--which is now gone...

peachy

Oct 14, 2006
Wow, this thread screams memory lane.

Obviously, Tazzles and Cy's were staples. Thursday night always meant $1 pitchers! Lumpy's was always happening.

Anybody hit the shaker bars? My old roommate worked as a bouncer downtown at BJ's Lucky Lady. We also snuck in to Big Earl's Gold Mine Too all the time (out by the old Save-U-More).