First family vacation in Florida

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I'm starting to plan our first family vacation for next summer now that the kids are old enough to appreciate and participate a bit more (they'll be 8 and 6). My wife grew up going to Siesta Key and is dead set that the trip be to Florida and that it involve the beach. We'll rent an SUV and road trip it. Right now I'm thinking private beach front condo on Carillon Beach near Panama City, that way we don't have to deal with public parking and big crowds. Also need to be close enough to some other attractions for the kids - aquariums, zoo, mini golf, whatever, fun kid stuff. Anybody have better suggestions? Places to avoid? Experiences to share? Tips along the way?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We just drove to Gainesville, FL over spring break to do some college visits in the SE for our daughter. My only tip along the way is to make sure you time your drive to avoid Nashville and Atlanta during rush hour. They both sucked equally during non-rush hour. I can't imagine enduring that with increased traffic.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
we went to st pete this spring break and i enjoyed it. went to clearwater beach, treasure island beach and st pete beach. also went to siesta key for a day. clearwater was the best out of the bunch. siesta key was super packed, but i also think most of that was from venice beach being closed because of beached whale.

to add to cooler. we drove down, hit nashville both ways close to rush hour and it sucked. hit atlanta at night and was pretty easy. i think nashville just sucks all hours of the day.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
We just drove to Gainesville, FL over spring break to do some college visits in the SE for our daughter. My only tip along the way is to make sure you time your drive to avoid Nashville and Atlanta during rush hour. They both sucked equally during non-rush hour. I can't imagine enduring that with increased traffic.
Thanks I'll make sure to remember that! although the route looks like it'll take me down through Alabama instead of Georgia. I remember driving down to Austin a couple years ago and getting stuck going through DFW during rush hour...absolutely brutal

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
we went to st pete this spring break and i enjoyed it. went to clearwater beach, treasure island beach and st pete beach. also went to siesta key for a day. clearwater was the best out of the bunch. siesta key was super packed, but i also think most of that was from venice beach being closed because of beached whale.

to add to cooler. we drove down, hit nashville both ways close to rush hour and it sucked. hit atlanta at night and was pretty easy. i think nashville just sucks all hours of the day.
Our plan is to split the drive in half each way and stay with family friends right outside of Nashville

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I'm starting to plan our first family vacation for next summer now that the kids are old enough to appreciate and participate a bit more (they'll be 8 and 6). My wife grew up going to Siesta Key and is dead set that the trip be to Florida and that it involve the beach. We'll rent an SUV and road trip it. Right now I'm thinking private beach front condo on Carillon Beach near Panama City, that way we don't have to deal with public parking and big crowds. Also need to be close enough to some other attractions for the kids - aquariums, zoo, mini golf, whatever, fun kid stuff. Anybody have better suggestions? Places to avoid? Experiences to share? Tips along the way?

GO TO DESTIN RATHER THAN PANAMA CITY BEACH. Our first trip to the Emerald Coast was to PCB, and while there we drove over to see Destin. OMG it is a world of difference. We now do a Destin Trip every single summer. Silver Beach/Silver Beach Towers are a great location.

Some will tell you to do Gulf Shores on the AL side, or PCB on the east side, but Destin is by far the best overall.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
GO TO DESTIN RATHER THAN PANAMA CITY BEACH. Our first trip to the Emerald Coast was to PCB, and while there we drove over to see Destin. OMG it is a world of difference. We now do a Destin Trip every single summer. Silver Beach/Silver Beach Towers are a great location.

Some will tell you to do Gulf Shores on the AL side, or PCB on the east side, but Destin is by far the best overall.
What are some of the main differences? The place we're looking at is in between the two, about 20 miles from PC and 30 miles from Destin

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Thanks I'll make sure to remember that! although the route looks like it'll take me down through Alabama instead of Georgia. I remember driving down to Austin a couple years ago and getting stuck going through DFW during rush hour...absolutely brutal
I've taken the Alabama route too and it has its own version of suck. Lots of sketchy craphole Alabama towns and weird, curvyroads that slow you down.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Been to PCB often during the exact time you're talking about and with kids.

1 strongly recommend driving through the night if you can at all stomach it. Kids can't ***** when their sleeping and the traffic is 100x better

2 the place you mentioned is considerably north/west of any of your typical spring break partiers. We've never stayed that far up the beach but I've ran up there and it seemed really nice and chill actually. You might be in the middle of a bunch of retiree's actually which might be nice depending on what your looking for. We typically rented a condo in one of those high risers closer to the pier via Airbnb or similar site.

3 because you're that far west, you are a little bit of a drive from some things. Which isn't good or bad but you will want to know this as traffic/parking can be a pain in the ass. You ARE however near a freakin' amazing doughnut shop. (Donut Hole). You will want to go hear. You're welcome, it's probably a 5-10 minute drive at most

4 The restaurant sharky's is fun with kids, they get a frisbee with their kids meals. We still have some.

5 the water will be cold but you're wife's from Florida so I won't waste time tellin you about the beach.

6 Pier Park is like your uptown shopping area. You may want to keep you're wife the hell away from it or your trip will get more expensive

7 There is a really sweet looking state park (St. Andrews) that we've actually never done but I wanted to. They may have weird hours at the gate, one time I couldn't get in, you will want to confirm their open and it will be a decent drive from where you're staying.

8 You're probably 15ish minutes from a walmart which always feels good to know on a vacation. there's two of them and a target just to your west a little ways

9 OH!! There is a win dixie that is not far from you at all, this is the ticket for groceries if you don't need much. WAY less crowded and is a nice place (that walmart can get freakin nuts).

10 Nicks brooklyn pizza is good but I would argue Zollo's is better and I think it's cheaper.

DM and I can give you more info. I miss it down there.

• Winner
Reactions: Malty Flannel

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
DO NOT EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, DRIVE THROUGH ATLANTA, GEORGIA.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I've taken the Alabama route too and it has its own version of suck. Lots of sketchy craphole Alabama towns and weird, curvyroads that slow you down.
The Alabama route is fine. But it's town's are weird. Have everyone go to the bathroom before you go through that stretch. One year, I saw a super hairy, bearded guy trying wipe his butt in a piggly wiggly parking lot with what looked like a potato. I had to pee bad at that point. I waited till the next town.

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
Sounds like you will heading to the panhandle, but I can give you good beach suggestions if you decide to go to Southwest Florida.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls

I'll be in Destin in 5 weeks. Its our go to spot. Soooo much better than most of Florida.

Reactions: Malty Flannel

wcamnclone

Oct 24, 2008
Fargo, ND
If going to Siesta Key, we have stayed at a place called Midnight Cove. Has a pool, but right on the beach that you have beach access to. Don’t have to deal with the parking situations and making sure you get there early like at the public beach spots. Has a couple restaurants nearby, or 10 minute drive to downtown too. A grocery store nearby that you can fill the fridge in the condo with if trying to save a little instead of eating at restaurants the entire time if you want.

From the couple beaches I have been to in Florida, Siesta Key is likely the top one I have been to.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010

We spent the night in Smyrna, TN, a suburb SE of Nashville on our way home from Florida. The locals told us that the morning traffic was very bad and to avoid the 6:00 am - 9:00 am time period. We followed their advice, left around 9:30, and had very little problem going thru the downtown area. A few slight slowdowns at major highway interchanges, but no biggie.