First family vacation in Florida

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
DO NOT EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, DRIVE THROUGH ATLANTA, GEORGIA.

I towed a horse trailer my first time driving down to Florida from Iowa.

Dear God in Heaven that was a white knuckle trip.

On a future trip (no trailer) we decided to try going "the Alabama route" on our way to Ocala (visiting family). It added about an hour drive time (going by GPS) but the scenery was quite nice and avoiding ATL was worth it.

• Winner
Reactions: JM4CY

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
If you go SW Florida, check out Sanibel Island. If you go Panhandle, check out Destin area.

Sanibel is quite an experience.

We were in Cape Coral a couple years ago, happened to be right before they got rocked by Hurricane Ian. So some of this area might still be rebuilding. But I'd definitely visit that whole area again. It's modestly priced and plenty to do, nice beaches and not too busy.

We hit up Lovers Key Beach for something different to do. It's not an elite beach by any means, but there were hardly any people there, tons of shells, and the sand was really soft and white.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GMackey32

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
The Alabama route is fine. But it's town's are weird. Have everyone go to the bathroom before you go through that stretch. One year, I saw a super hairy, bearded guy trying wipe his butt in a piggly wiggly parking lot with what looked like a potato. I had to pee bad at that point. I waited till the next town.
And don't use a bathroom in Birmingham unless you are a fan of facilities with barred windows.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
I know you are not likely headed that way, but Hurricane Ian did major impact to SW Florida and they are still recovering. Ft Myers Beach is still in rough shape even now.. We were there a couple of months ago and only the block or two around where the pier used to be has any people at all.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
we went to st pete this spring break and i enjoyed it. went to clearwater beach, treasure island beach and st pete beach. also went to siesta key for a day. clearwater was the best out of the bunch. siesta key was super packed, but i also think most of that was from venice beach being closed because of beached whale.

to add to cooler. we drove down, hit nashville both ways close to rush hour and it sucked. hit atlanta at night and was pretty easy. i think nashville just sucks all hours of the day.
I went to Treasure Island, FL over Spring Break in 2017 and it was a good time....it is not quite Clearwater Beach when it comes to business but still plenty of things to do for the kids and it's a super relaxing atmosphere. Beautiful beaches as well.

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
West Coast is the best Coast. Been in Sarasota 10 years and its not even really close IMHO. Lots of things to do in the Tampa area for families.

We went to Cape Canaveral last year during spring break, did the tour and got to see a SpaceX launch. That part was pretty fine, although driving in Orlando is pretty much a nightmare (not ATL bad, just crazy).

For some day fun we went to Cocoa Beach. Traffic was more painful than ATL. The beach was fine, but I will never go back there in my life.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
We drove to the Pensacola/Destin area and took I-55 south of St Louis crossed the Mississippi to Hwy 45 through Alabama to Mobile then I-10. 4 lane road I think the entire way. Wasn't too bad.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
DO NOT EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, DRIVE THROUGH ATLANTA, GEORGIA.
The only time it was pleasant, we had driven through the night so one of the kids could participate in a school event on Friday in Iowa and a different school event on Saturday in Atlanta. At 4:30 am, Atlanta is a piece of cake.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'll add more as I think of this. We did this vacation (due to a couple of family-related factors) like 5 or 6 years in a row. I know the area well and dealt with multiple issues down there and could tell you how to solve them (i.e. flat tires, etc.) One year, we accidentally next to the spring break hub. HO Boy... was that something. "Sure, honey, I don't mind taking the kids to the beach by myself AT ALL...." (reality, it was the opposite, I wanted to get them the hell out of there)

My 80 year old parents winter in Texas down by South Padre and they bring their lawn chairs and people watch every year.

Reactions: NWICY

2Xclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
We just drove to Gainesville, FL over spring break to do some college visits in the SE for our daughter. My only tip along the way is to make sure you time your drive to avoid Nashville and Atlanta during rush hour. They both sucked equally during non-rush hour. I can't imagine enduring that with increased traffic.
I have kids that live south of Atlanta…traffic through there sucks at any time…it’s somewhat ok after 11 pm to maybe 6 am…but I’ never want to live in that metro area.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 83cy

Zed_One

Sep 12, 2020
I have kids that live south of Atlanta…traffic through there sucks at any time…it’s somewhat ok after 11 pm to maybe 6 am…but I’ never want to live in that metro area.
When we drive up from FL we schedule Atlanta - Nashville around 11pm-4am. This is the way....

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
My jam is Anna Maria Island. It's still retained some charm and hasn't been over run by Applebee's.

Gimme a Yuengling in one of those aluminum draw cups, some grouper tacos, and a beach, and I'm set.
I’ll second Anna Maria. It’s pretty easily my favorite spot in Florida. Groceries are expensive on the island, and traffic can be a pain getting off and on, but otherwise it’s great. I’m actually not super high on Destin or PCB. I did enjoy some deep sea fishing off the coast by Destin, and the non-stop flight was convenient. Everything else was meh. I just didn’t love the vibe. There wasn’t much in the way of restaurants or things to do, but it also didn’t feel super friendly or welcoming. The main thing I got was there are a lot of people building/renovating houses so they can make money off visitors. But again other facilities and infrastructure didn’t see. To match what the vacation rental owners were trying to get going. Just not my thing.

I also will give a vote for driving through the night if you are going to drive and can at all stomach it. At least going down. Heading back it’s nice to stop in Nashville, but you’ll kill 2 days driving for sure if you don’t drive it straight through. My personal preference is to leave early afternoon. You’ll miss the St. Louis rush hour traffic and the kids will probably sleep for the bulk of the trip shortly after (assuming dinner in that area). You’re through Nashville after midnight and hitting Atlanta around dawn. Be careful in the mountains at that time. You can get a little moisture on the road. I actually oddly love that drive though…

Of course, if you do go to Destin, you could try to leave super early in the morning and be there by late that night.

Last edited:

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
We went to Cape Canaveral last year during spring break, did the tour and got to see a SpaceX launch. That part was pretty fine, although driving in Orlando is pretty much a nightmare (not ATL bad, just crazy).

For some day fun we went to Cocoa Beach. Traffic was more painful than ATL. The beach was fine, but I will never go back there in my life.
Just got back from visiting my parents in Lakeland. Orlando near the Disney theme parks is a disaster. Kennedy used to be great but this time it felt like it had the atmosphere of an amusement park, but without the games and rides. Kids running amok. Mile long lines for concessions. I thought it would be cool to take the kids and see the last Delta IV launch, but so did everyone else. Traffic was insane. Like worse than LA rush hour traffic. My smallest was getting pretty desperate for a restroom break, and unfortunately didn't make it in time (feel like I failed her). And insult to injury, the launch got scrubbed. Did managed to give out a few Go Cyclones to fellow Cyclone fans adorned in cardinal and gold, before going back to my parents and being disappointed by the game.

Legoland in the other hand was a huge hit. Highly recommend.

St. Pete Beach, Madera Beach, Johns pass were all great. We never made it to the beach this trip. Thought about Clearwater Beach one day, but after our traffic adventures, avoided it.

• Friendly
Reactions: BACyclone