First family vacation in Florida

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I’ll second Anna Maria. It’s pretty easily my favorite spot in Florida. Groceries are expensive on the island, and traffic can be a pain getting off and on, but otherwise it’s great. I’m actually not super high on Destin or PCB. I did enjoy some deep sea fishing off the coast by Destin, and the non-stop flight was convenient. Everything else was meh. I just didn’t love the vibe. There wasn’t much in the way of restaurants or things to do, but it also didn’t feel super friendly or welcoming. The main thing I got was there are a lot of people building/renovating houses so they can make money off visitors. But again other facilities and infrastructure didn’t see. To match what the vacation rental owners were trying to get going. Just not my thing.
AMI has a pretty decent Publix on island entry way. That's been our grocery go to.
Otherwise yeah throughout the island it can be a little pricey. I just love that it still has some charm remaining. You can see big money starting to over take it though.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
AMI has a pretty decent Publix on island entry way. That's been our grocery go to.
Otherwise yeah throughout the island it can be a little pricey. I just love that it still has some charm remaining. You can see big money starting to over take it though.
I agree - we liked the Publix. I’ll also say that it’s been 9 years since we were there, while we were in Destin less than two years ago…so trust JP4CY for more recent opinions.

I will say that after visiting Anna Maria, I would have been happy to go there every year, but our family wanted to see other places. (Not because they didn’t love it.)

Reactions: JP4CY

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I think for this first family trip we have landed on renting a condo on a private section of Miramar Beach about 5 miles east of Destin. Lots of good feedback for future trips as the kids get older. Thanks all for the input!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I agree - we liked the Publix. I’ll also say that it’s been 9 years since we were there, while we were in Destin less than two years ago…so trust JP4CY for more recent opinions.

I will say that after visiting Anna Maria, I would have been happy to go there every year, but our family wanted to see other places. (Not because they didn’t love it.)
I agree. AMI is small and you're kind of "locked in."