First Roommate

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I'm wondering...

For any graduates, or even upperclassmen, maybe; are any of you still in contact or friends with your first roommate at ISU? You know, the one that the university assigns you at the beginning of your freshman year.

I know there are other situations, like living in a frat or off campus as a freshman, and many people come to ISU knowing/choosing their roommate. But I'm most curious about the roommate that was outside of your control in choosing.

For me: I was assigned a guy who never showed up, then he was replaced by a Malaysian fellow that didn't speak any English. I apparently scared him off, and he moved, then the original guy was there for the second semester. And, no, I am not in contact with any of them. You? Let's hear your stories.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Not at ISU...but my first roommate in college showed up with over 300 Zeppelin bootlegs. I appreciate all kinds of music but lets just say I was tired of getting the "Led" out by the end of the first weekend! That said...great guy but don't talk to him that much. We have been out of school 15 years.

LetsPlay2

Dec 18, 2008
Des Moines
I came to school and lived with my best friend from high school. We lived together all 4 years of school whether in the dorms or apartment with some other friends. We are still friends to this day. I have heard it work the other way as well when you live with your best friend, but we worked out pretty well.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Guy I got paired up with went to HS less than 30 minutes from where I did, had never met before.

I lived on an honors floor, but I don't think I quite fit the "mold" of an honors student...I liked to go outside our floor and socialize, have a good time, etc. People on my floor liked to stay in our den, play board games, do puzzles, etc because they didn't have time for "regular people."

Anyway, my roommate fit the mold, EXTREMELY introverted. Lived with him for the entire frosh. year and never held a full conversation just the cordial "hellos" and "will you be around this weekend?" type stuff. Didn't speak to him when we lived together and as you would expect, I haven't kept in touch with him now.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I haven't spoken with my freshman year roommate in about four years. Last I knew he knocked up his girlfriend, got married and lives in Story City. I think he finished his degree.

Nearly all of my closest friends are the guys I met within the first week or two of school and lived on my floor. I still talk to those guys regularly and can't ever see that changing.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Nope. I used to run into him about once a year while on campus, if that.. A nice guy, now I wonder what he's doing now... Probably not on this board, I don't think he went to a single sporting event ever.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I haven't talked to my first roommate since I graduated in 2005. However I am very good friends with five or six people from my dorm floor. One who happens to be my wife.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I am still a freshman but my first roommate last semester decided he wanted a room to himself and moved out so I got a double to myself which was awesome. However now I have a Chinese student assigned to me I will meet hiim when I go back on Sunday, we will see how that goes...

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Nope...I didn't even talk to him during the second semester and he only lived 4 doors down the hall. :biglaugh:

Detasseler

Jul 16, 2007
Campus
My freshman roommate didn't like to go to class. Got a 0.0 first semester and got arrested twice for selling that sticky icky. Second semester he liked to sleep until 4 pm and stay up at night until 3 am watching adult swim or playing video games. In contrast I'm a double major honors student. Worst roommate ever and this experience makes me appreciate the three I have now who are my best friends at ISU.

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
I lived with Jim Zabel's great-nephew (had to look up the relation), needless to say he wore Hawk stuff, had Hawk things, and did Hawk stuff. He was a great guy other than that and when he drank too much SOCO. I moved out of the dorms after 1 semester & havent talked to him since college

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I haven't talked to my first roommate since I graduated in 2005. However I am very good friends with five or six people from my dorm floor. One who happens to be my wife.

That's a positive sign.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I lived on an honors floor, but I don't think I quite fit the "mold" of an honors student...I liked to go outside our floor and socialize, have a good time, etc. People on my floor liked to stay in our den, play board games, do puzzles, etc because they didn't have time for "regular people."

Sadly thats what my floor turned into... (it was honors when I moved there... but it was the first year so there was still the "non-honors" element there to uh, open our eyes to college... they wanted to clean the floor up so they made it an Honors Cluster.... and it changed a lot over 3 years that I lived there. I went back the next year once or twice and it only had gotten worse)

As for the roommate question... still facebook contacts and we'd socialize some here and there but we had different social circles we tended to run around with. I'm still in facebook contact with him but don't particuarly communicate with him a lot

Still talking to my Senior/Senior + years roommate who lived next door to me freshman year, though it's only been a year since I graduated

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I've been out of school for 15 years now. And I haven't kept up with my first roommate. He was a great guy, but we didn't have a lot of common interests really. It does make me think I should try to locate him though. I know it wouldn't be hard. He was from a really small town.

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
I got along pretty well with my first year roommate. We were going to room together again second year, but he never came back to school. I don't think I've talked to him since then. I had a guy from Kenya as my roommate second year. We got along okay but we had nothing to talk about. He didn't come back for second semester, I got a double all to myself, and I lived off campus with friends after that.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
My freshman roommate and I never talked and were rarely in the room at the same time apart from sleeping. We were two very different people. He ended up moving out after two months. He didn't tell me he was doing it. He and a friend just came in one day and took out all of his stuff, which included the fridge, microwave, TV, and couch. I was left with my computer and my bed. The good part was that I was rid of him and got the room to myself for the rest of the year.

EDIT -- Come to think of it. I answered a phone call from his mother a couple of days later. She wasn't even aware that he had moved. I couldn't tell her what his new number was because he didn't tell me, but I did know he was moving to Friley. His name was out of the phone directory by the next year, so I don't think he stuck around.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
My first roommate and I did not get a long at all. He was a big bible thumper, and while that is not necessarily a bad thing, he took it to an extreme. I was raised Christian, and have no problem with people having faith. This was a totally different thing, though. He was a big fan of contemporay christian music, and did not appreciate my love of Metal. Black Sabbath was a particularly sticky subject. I used to engage him in hypothetical religious discussions like whether or not God could create a boulder so big that even he/she couldn't lift it. He seemed to find the entire concept sinful, and would chastise me for ever bringing it up. He would constantly leave me notes asking me to pick up my dirty laundry, or reminding me to go to class and sign them with "Jesus Loves You" Also, he had an unholy obsession with Mariah Carey. Not, a sexual attraction, but more like a brotherly love, type of thing. In fact, if I, or anyone else, mentioned Mariah in "amorous" terms, he would get upset. He was a big fan of the sitcom "Ellen" until she came out of the closet. Then, he never watched the show again. And, once, when he was going away for the weekend, he asked me to record the ALF reunion show.

Suffice it to say, we did not room together for our sophomore year.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Nope, haven't kept in contact with either of my 2 roommates from ISU. First year I had a sophomore roomate who was in engineering that studied quite a bit. At first I don't think we hit it off too well but eventually we found some common interests and got along pretty well by end of the year. The floor I lived on was a blast.

Second year I got assigned a freshman and thankfully I got my RA job when I did because if I had to live another semester with that kid I probably would have gone crazy. He was kind of a sci-fi geek and had all these little annoying sounds for his computer startup and warnings plus some nights spent hours upon hours playing games plus watching sci-fi movies and such. Came back from class one day and his friend was dying his hair smurf blue which was strange too. He just wasn't someone that I normally would hang out with and he wasn't into sports and stuff so we really had no common interests that would make good conversation or something we could hang out and do together. The really awkward thing was neither of us were 21 yet but I had booze in the room and didn't mind going to or having parties. I could never get the kid to drink and you could tell he was uncomfortable when I'd crack open a beer while he was in the room. After I moved out apparently someone on the floor finally got him to drink and he was supposedly the new floor drunk not long after that!

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Guy I got paired up with went to HS less than 30 minutes from where I did, had never met before.

Anyway, my roommate fit the mold, EXTREMELY introverted. Lived with him for the entire frosh. year and never held a full conversation just the cordial "hellos" and "will you be around this weekend?" type stuff. Didn't speak to him when we lived together and as you would expect, I haven't kept in touch with him now.

Did you live on anders? That might explain the introverted honors people. The floor where I lived, harwood...well, lets just say that the people from that particular honors floor were not introverted at all.

As far as my freshman roommate, I still talk to him once in a while, he's actually even on CF!