Five Questions: With a Northern Illinois writer

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
Great work as always, Chris. First game of the year always makes me nervous. If ISU can beat NIU convincingly, it will ease a lot of my fears about the season and make me more optimistic about another bowl trip. With that said, I expect this to be an ugly game, especially with all the new faces on defense for the Cyclones.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I think this game will be mighty close at first, but our defense finds its character in the second half and our oline just wears out the dline of NIU and this game gets away fast 42-14 or 17. Arob will run for around 200.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I do think it's interesting that he feels the NIU defensive line should control the line of scrimmage. I wouldn't have guessed that.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think this game will be mighty close at first, but our defense finds its character in the second half and our oline just wears out the dline of NIU and this game gets away fast 42-14 or 17. Arob will run for around 200.

I do not share your optimism. This is an experienced team that has repeatedly hung with BCS teams. I think this will be a dog fight.

Edit: This quote comes to mind:

"I didn't even comb my hair today," said Iowa State guard Michael Nurse, "because I knew it would be a dogfight."

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
i'm shakin in my boots after that interview. The MAC's best running back, haha. We have A-rob and I am willing to bet he is 5 times the running back he is. Strength, D line? That's great and all if your Alabama, Texas, Florida, but a MAC conference D line should be no better than ours.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
i'm shakin in my boots after that interview. The MAC's best running back, haha. We have A-rob and I am willing to bet he is 5 times the running back he is. Strength, D line? That's great and all if your Alabama, Texas, Florida, but a MAC conference D line should be no better than ours.
I do not share your optimism.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
If D-line is their strength, I hope the plan is pass first to set up the run. They should get a heavy dose of 5-10 yard passes, and we should be fine. Just as we would with Iowa.

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
I do not share your optimism.

I'm not saying were going to win this one 34-0, but what i'm trying to say is that if N Illinois can beat us because of their D line, were not going to win a game this year. That would mean that both our O line and running backs took a considerable step back in year 2. If we want to go to another bowl game (which i'm predicting 5 wins) you can't lose to N illinois.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
That dude must have been a real pleasure to interview (extreme sarcasm). He comes across very cocky. NIU may be good, but there is no reason ISU shouldn't win. We have better athletes from top to bottom and a damn good coaching staff. It will probably be a close game for most or all of the game, but I just fail to see how ISU loses.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I feel much better about him saying the D-line is their strength as opposed to the offensive line.
I wouldnt want their best unit going up against our weakest unit (our D-line). Luckily it looks like that wont be the case.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I feel much better about him saying the D-line is their strength as opposed to the offensive line.
I wouldnt want their best unit going up against our weakest unit (our D-line). Luckily it looks like that wont be the case.

I look at it this way, we scored on Nebraska's salty defense with our back-up QB and RB. There isn't a single reason we can't stick it to a MAC or whatever conference team.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids

agree 100% with this. maybe their strength is their d-line, but so what. it doesn't mean they are a top d-line.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
no MAC D-line is going to scare me. our O-Line is a bunch of beasts. Probably the best and deepest aspect of our team. not to worried about this game. wont be a blowout, but we'll handle them. at this point i'll predict about 31-17

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
I heard Austin Alburtis isn't coming back...a hit to our D-line a bit. This is new news, but I don't know if it has been shared/posted yet.