Five Questions: With a Northern Illinois writer

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Just from watching the highlights, it looks like Purdue might have won if NIU didn't run the fake punt.

Last season against the best teams NIU gave up 152 rushing yards to Wisky, 147 to Purdue, 189 to South Florida, and 257 to Central Michigan. For the season, the opposing RB averaged 3.8 yards/carry and 124 yards/game. For being a team with their strength in their D-line, they sure gave up a lot of rushing yards. ARob and AA with the zone read should do just fine against these guys.

NIU is a good team, but ISU has no business losing to them. They play in MAC and ISU has superior athletes and depth. CPR has given me no reason to doubt him yet and this isn't a Chizik team. ISU probably wins by 10.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
If anyone attended the 2003 game in DeKalb, you will know that this is an accurate portrait of the NIU fanbase ... think of arrogant Chicago people with a Napoleon Complex ... I have hated NIU everyday since then.

Arguably our worst team since 1997 lost to #20 NIU (yes, they were actually ranked) 24-16 on the road. Our miserable offense actually outgained them 355-334.

Yes, this was the same offense that scored 71 points (8.9 ppg) in 8 Big 12 games. Also the same defense that gave up 613 yards to OU the next week, 775 yards to Texas Tech the week after that, and 578 yards to Texas the week after that.

This amazing MAC power back in 2003 (whose fans mocked BCS from the moment we got out of the car until the second we pulled out of there - only breaking shortly to cheer on the Cubs clinching division) whose roster included Michael Turner (134 yards) needed a deflected interception in the 4th quarter of a 17-16 game to score the final TD with under 2 minutes to play.

We are 2-1 ('93 Won 54-10, '03 Lost 16-24, '04 Won 48-41) against NIU all-time, and 21-4 vs. MAC all-time ... we not only should win, we MUST win this game.

That trip to NIU was one of the worst game-day experiences I've ever had. NIU takes the cake as the WORST fan base I've seen in person.

Isn't the 2003 game where Rutland broke his ankle (or twisted very badly) real early in the game? Sort of threw ISU's offense out of whack.

But back to the Northern Ill. writer, thanks for all the good lockerroom material, dude.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
That trip to NIU was one of the worst game-day experiences I've ever had. NIU takes the cake as the WORST fan base I've seen in person.

There was nothing to enjoy about that day. I digress, but it was horrible.

I was steaming with hate my entire drive back to South Bend. I still hate them.

I've been to almost 30 different college football venues. This was miserable.

For those of us who weren't there, can you enlighten us as to how their fans acted that left you guys this mad? I didn't really encounter too many in the 04 game and need to know what to prepare for.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Does anyone honestly think CPR would let this team overlook anyone?? With the schedule like it is every game counts and we will not overlook or be Ill-prepared for anyone....

Marc936

Oct 25, 2009
my ex goes to NIU, if we lose I will be getting **** talking texts for the next week....We better win because i wanted to do the same

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I'm glad to hear they are the team with the kicking game Q's for a change. I like what we got. First game of the year can come down to kicking, but I don't expect it to be that close. ISU by 17-24

jimmycy

Apr 19, 2006
That dude must have been a real pleasure to interview (extreme sarcasm). He comes across very cocky. NIU may be good, but there is no reason ISU shouldn't win. We have better athletes from top to bottom and a damn good coaching staff. It will probably be a close game for most or all of the game, but I just fail to see how ISU loses.

I think some of you are a little overly sensitive. All he did was answer the questions that CW asked him. Even then I took his answers to be very general not necessarily directed at ISU.

That being said I presect a 24-21 ISU victory.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This game scares me to death. If we aren't sharp, and we usually aren't in our first game, we could get beat. I've seen it happen too many times as a Clone fan.

By the way... if Alburtis is gone, we are in a world of hurt folks. That is the MOST important info in this entire thread. DL was already possibly our weakest spot on the team. Losing a starter will be difficult to overcome. Not good at all.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
This is a win for sure. I don't care that the Huskies were a bowl team last year. I don't care what the have coming back this year. When their 7 wins from a year ago are broken down (see below,) it'll be shown that they're not as good as their record says they are.

Northern Illinois (7-6) wins in 2009:

Opponent, Opponent's '09 W-L record

Western Illinois, 1-10
Purdue, 5-7
Western Michigan, 5-7
Miami (OH), 1-11
Akron, 3-9
Eastern Michigan, 0-12
Ball State, 2-10

Northern Illinois' 7 wins in 2009 came against opponents with a combined 17-66 record. The Cyclones start off the '10 season with a sure thing and on the right note. I wouldn't be shocked to see ISU win by 35-40 points.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I think some of you are a little overly sensitive. All he did was answer the questions that CW asked him. Even then I took his answers to be very general not necessarily directed at ISU.

That being said I presect a 24-21 ISU victory.

It has nothing to do with being sensitive. The guy sounds cocky, like I said. Apparently, I'm not the minority here.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
This is a win for sure. I don't care that the Huskies were a bowl team last year. I don't care what the have coming back this year. When their 7 wins from a year ago are broken down (see below,) it'll be shown that they're not as good as their record says they are.

Western Illinois, 1-10
Purdue, 5-7
Western Michigan, 5-7
Miami (OH), 1-11
Akron, 3-9
Eastern Michigan, 0-12
Ball State, 2-10

Northern Illinois' 7 wins in 2009 came against opponents with a combined 17-66 record. The Cyclones start off the '10 season with a sure thing and on the right note. I wouldn't be shocked to see ISU win by 35-40 points.

You nailed it Ring. This will be a good game for us; not a "tune up" but we're not going to lose. I don't think we'll win by 40 but it will be convincing.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa

Western Illinois, 1-10
Purdue, 5-7
Western Michigan, 5-7
Miami (OH), 1-11
Akron, 3-9
Eastern Michigan, 0-12
Ball State, 2-10

Wow, that is bad. A winning percentage of .204. Wow.

Just for comparison.

NDSU, 3-8
Kent State, 5-7
Army, 5-7
Baylor, 4-8
Nebraska, 10-4
Colorado, 3-9
Minnesota, 6-7

ISU's wins against opponents combined record in 2009 was 36-50. A winning percentage of .418. Not much better but the big difference is the quality of opponents in the MAC versus the Big 12. ISU beat 4 BCS teams, NIU beat 1.

NIU is good team, but ISU is better and should win.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Western Illinois, 1-10
Purdue, 5-7
Western Michigan, 5-7
Miami (OH), 1-11
Akron, 3-9
Eastern Michigan, 0-12
Ball State, 2-10

Most interesting post of the whole thread right here. I have been thinking a reasonably narrow victory (like one score), but this convinces me of at least a two touchdown victory. Sure, we won't be fully sharp in week one, but neither will they. They will need to be sharper than we will to win this thing, and that info there makes me think that they don't get that sharp.