Fixed real estate commissions look to be "unfixed" by lawsuit settlement

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It's always seemed wild to me the sheer # of realtors out there, or people that change careers to real estate.

Like, isn't there only so many homes, and only so many people willing to buy/sell?
There's a lot of them that just do it semi-part time, or on the side. If you even sell a couple for family/friends in your spare time you can make $20k in commissions for very little time spent.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
I've used realtors every time, and I will continue to do so. I've valued their knowledge on the buy side, and valued their network on the sell side. I can't exactly prove this, but I suspect they have "paid" for their commission's over the years.

To each their own.

My parents and sister had a RE business.

There were times they would spend HOURS with a client looking for a home. Gas money, time on the phone, time searching for places to show them. And not all would buy. (We had a realtor friend that did this for three years with a couple looking for a home) Many times "acquaintances" thought they should sell a house without a commission. Then if you're selling a house there's a lot more to it than some people may think. And if a realtor has a storefront, you have that cost plus utilities, insurance, continuing ed costs.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
They actually got off easy.

In November, a federal jury in Missouri found the NAR and two brokerages liable for $1.8 billion in damages for conspiring to keep agent commissions artificially high. Because it was an antitrust case, the NAR was potentially on the hook for triple those damages — $5.4 billion.

Reactions: HighLeakageCy

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Twenty years ago I had a realtor refuse to show me a house because it was a flat rate realtor. I fired her the next day.
This has always been a sham. It’s collusion amongst the majority of realtors in the market.
And realtors are dinosaurs. The only people that will tell you that realtors are relevant are realtors. Get comps, a good real estate attorney and you will do fine.
The problem is most American's can't pull comps, are too cheap to get a good attorney, and most American's can't negotiate.

I'm have mixed feelings on this and will be curious how it all unfolds. The real estate industry is probably in the top-5 for hiring employees and have to assume this is going to crush some of these firms.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Most brokers were really dropping their commission because buying properties off market, from wholesalers, direct from sellers, etc is becoming more common. The real estate game has really evolved since Covid.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Does this mean Charter was in the right side of history? If I remember correctly he did flat fee plus smaller commission.
We used Charter when we sold our last house. They charged a very reasonable flat flee and our Realtor was very helpful.

Also, and SIAP, but could not find anything in the article the says where the 1.8 billion settlement goes. Are they going to reimburse home sellers and buyers for the last 50 years?

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I would assume in the last couple of years, if you're selling a house, the hourly rate has to be really high. After buying two homes and selling one the last 3-4 years, all a selling agent had to do was get the MLS and disclosures ready, set up an open house, and wait for offers to come in. Don't even really need to spend time negotiating with the buyers. In my area, sellers were only giving the buyers agent 2%. Before the recent times, I'm sure more work was done to market and push a home in order to sell, so probably more time spent.

Buyers agents have it harder due to the amount of time working with clients going from house to house, submitting offers, and losing out. Definitely more time spent on the buyers side than sellers.
Totally agree that the listing agents have it easy.

Mixed bag for buying agents. Some people already know what house they want and make an offer immediately. You can also show two dozen houses over the course of a couple months and they end up never buying. You get nothing from that. There are a lot of terrible agents out there, but a good one earns their money.

Firing a bad buying agent should always remain an option. Being asked to sign an agency agreement to look at houses would have me looking elsewhere. Some places require it, but most of the time they want to make sure they get a chunk of your commission if you go somewhere else regardless of the job they do. I'd prefer to build loyalty both ways an have them earn it.

It's not completely dissimilar from buying and selling cars, but people are way more willing treat their business as something of value and go elsewhere when it's a car.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I think of Realtors the same way I do Project Managers. Most are not worth the money they make, but the ones that are, are worth their weight in gold. The Realtor job is a very important one, of course it was more important before the internet. But most people are not very intelligent and can use all the help they can. (I mean how many people on here can change out a light switch or their own toilet?)

Those of us with experience remodeling, or selling/buying homes, can see a bad realtor instantly. And in my experiences there are WAY TOO MANY of them.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Most brokers were really dropping their commission because buying properties off market, from wholesalers, direct from sellers, etc is becoming more common. The real estate game has really evolved since Covid.

When we sold our home a couple years ago, we talked to several relators, and they were all willing to lower their commission just to get the business. Selling a home in today's market is a guaranteed quick pay day.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
When we sold our home a couple years ago, we talked to several relators, and they were all willing to lower their commission just to get the business. Selling a home in today's market is a guaranteed quick pay day.

Ummm.... say what? This isn't 2 or 3 years ago when houses were selling in a day with multiple offers of 50k to 100k over asking price. Plenty of houses are sitting on the market for 30 days, 60 days, 90+ days without an offer. New construction is king in many areas, so existing home sales are paying the price.

The only positive in this market is low inventory of existing homes, mostly due to people not wanting to trade their 3% mortgage for one in the 6-7% range.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
No doubt for some markets. Low inventory and numerous buyers has made the market strong in a good chunk of America

On the flip side, people really struggle with the buying part of it and need a competent realtor.

Last edited:

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Ummm.... say what? This isn't 2 or 3 years ago when houses were selling in a day with multiple offers of 50k to 100k over asking price. Plenty of houses are sitting on the market for 30 days, 60 days, 90+ days without an offer. New construction is king in many areas, so existing home sales are paying the price.

The only positive in this market is low inventory of existing homes, mostly due to people not wanting to trade their 3% mortgage for one in the 6-7% range.
All depends what area. Here is Columbus, OH is really tight and it's only dropped a couple %'s off it's high.

New startups are taking a nose dive, again.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I would disagree on worthless. A good buyer's agent can be very helpful with the process in identifying homes you may want to look at, identifying potential issues, and helping deal with the seller/seller's agent.

I have only gone through the sales cycle 1x but felt there was more value in having a buyers agent. A good buyers agent walks through a lot of houses, knowing what potential homes are a good fit for the buyer and in tip-top condition.

Whereas, its not difficult for a homeowner to sell a house on their own. Marketing a property is easy and cost-effective with FSBO, Zillow, etc. A person can buy for sale signs at big-box home stores. A real estate lawyer can prepare the sale paperwork for a few thousand $ or less. And I didn't mind showing my home, who knew the home better than I.

Reactions: StClone

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
There's a lot of them that just do it semi-part time, or on the side. If you even sell a couple for family/friends in your spare time you can make $20k in commissions for very little time spent.
Yeah. Because it’s a ******** job.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The last time I used a realtor to buy. I actually showed her the properties I wanted to see while she was showing me properties I had no interest in. It’s pretty easy to put your search parameters in the MLS and find property in your area. That’s exactly what they are doing.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
My parents and sister had a RE business.

There were times they would spend HOURS with a client looking for a home. Gas money, time on the phone, time searching for places to show them. And not all would buy. (We had a realtor friend that did this for three years with a couple looking for a home) Many times "acquaintances" thought they should sell a house without a commission. Then if you're selling a house there's a lot more to it than some people may think. And if a realtor has a storefront, you have that cost plus utilities, insurance, continuing ed costs.
The model is wrong. The realtor should charge to show per hour. Otherwise, the rest of us are picking up the bill. I don't want to pay for cheap people or people that are undecided.

• Disagree
Reactions: mynameisjonas

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The last time I used a realtor to buy. I actually showed her the properties I wanted to see while she was showing me properties I had no interest in. It’s pretty easy to put your search parameters in the MLS and find property in your area. That’s exactly what they are doing.

While this is true, many times realtors will have access to properties that are not quite on the market yet and be able to anticipate whether their buyer will be interested.

I found my current house myself on Zillow but my realtor at the time found me a house that was also one I would really have liked, that had not yet come open on the market. We toured both on the same afternoon. Had I not gotten this house I probably would have been in that house

Reactions: Freebird

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
While this is true, many times realtors will have access to properties that are not quite on the market yet and be able to anticipate whether their buyer will be interested.

I found my current house myself on Zillow but my realtor at the time found me a house that was also one I would really have liked, that had not yet come open on the market. We toured both on the same afternoon. Had I not gotten this house I probably would have been in that house

Why not just buy both houses?

Reactions: wxman1

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

I expect with this ruling realtors will encourage more homeowners to not list immediately so they can sucker what they can off of them.
I can see realtors being useful if you are relocating. Or don’t have time to do the homework yourself. But even for those services they are grossly overcompensated