Fixed real estate commissions look to be "unfixed" by lawsuit settlement

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
The only reason I even use a buyers agent is because I want my realtor buddy to make money on it. But if I have to start paying a buyers agent, I’m dropping it like a bad habit.

I’ve bought enough homes that I know I don’t need representation. But if you’re not experienced in homebuying, they can be useful for sure.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
A good one can keep a person out of some bad decisions.

A bad agent isn't worth much. A good agent is well worth the pay.

Again, just depends if you've done it before. Strongly recommend having one if you don't know what your doing.
Zillow more/less made the buyers agent worthless if you have any basic knowledge. Industry refuses to adapt and is hanging on by a thread.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
There are some good realtors who help advise you how to maximize your home's value for sale, what to put some money into and what not to. And can be smart about marketing and negotiation.

And there are some good realtors that help you avoid overpaying for a house, and identifying possible problems you might not recognize.

And all of that is worth something. But it ain't worth 7% of $400k.

My old house sold for just over $300k, agent made $20k. She did a decent amount of marketing work, drone photos, etc. I would guess she had about 40 hours of work all in, and that is probably generous. So $500 per hour; nice work if you can get it.

Also, that's about 10% of realtors in my experience. The vast majority just want to move product, get a deal done regardless of anything, and rack up commissions and on to the next one.

The Economist had a major article about this a year or 2 ago. Most countries realtors (estate agents) make 1.5-2%. In the US it was 6-7%. Just an absolute monopoly - if it was 4 nationwide companies that did it rather than 5000 local ones, the SEC would have trustbusted it decades ago.

Burn them all down.

• Agree
Reactions: RLD4ISU

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
So if buyers are paying for their own realtors, does that mean that the sellers only paying 3% to sell their house now?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Well, this has the potential to be HUGE. I was lucky enough to avoid this and buy directly from an elderly couple decades ago but these fixed commissions have always bugged the hell out of me especially in this ago of internet info and images and video being so readily available. It ain't 1985 anymore.

Realtor settlement on commission-fixing could create seismic changes in how Americans buy homes

The 6% commission, a standard in home purchase transactions, is no more. In a sweeping move expected to reduce the cost of buying and selling a home, the National Association of Realtors announced Friday a settlement of landmark antitrust lawsuits by agreeing to pay $418 million in damages and eliminating rules on commissions. - CNN​

As a Broker for my own Realty, I would negotiate the commission which was often 3-4% (Though in one case it was 10%, and thank God what a mess!). After the market went down I sold the company 15 years ago and my blood pressure is better. Realtors had become self-serving and backstabbers of fellows in the business. I can't say I recommend a realtor in my area now but at best they are a necessary evil.

And it is pronounced: REAL-tor not real-IT-tor just a pevee.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm in process of buying my 4th house.
I have done all of the research, chosen every house to look at. More/Less setting up my own showings. Realtor shows up and points out defects (obvious ones). Does a little background work on the house.

How in the world is that worth 15k on a 500k house? To each their own... I just don't need one.

As a buyer you dont have a way around it. If I go with the sellers agent direct they are just going to take the buyers commission for themselves.
Can say realtors are "maybe" worth it depending on the situation, many are facilitators, and many title companies and banks are helpful in that regard if you swing your purchase. But, finding the right homes without pre-listing agreements is very difficult.

They carry errors and omissions insurance for a reason, but today it seems the one taking the risk is the buyer assuring they can make the (average 7.77% on a 320k, 30-year mortgage, taxes, insurance, and interest) $2,7000/mo. payment.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it last. They'll all join a new association and go back to 6%. Unbelievable gross commissions for decades. And talk about shooting fish in a bucket the past 5 or 10 years. NO service after the sale/purchase. Maybe get a doormat at signing. Insulator for your outside faucet.

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'll believe it when I see it last. They'll all join a new association and go back to 6%. Unbelieve gross commissions for decades. And talk about shooting fish in a bucket the past 5 or 10 years. NO service after the sale/purchase. Maybe get a doormat at signing. Insulator for your outside faucet.

We still get a Christmas card from our realtor.

• Haha
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
lots of sad realtors on twitter. sounds like they need to learn to code or weld

It's always seemed wild to me the sheer # of realtors out there, or people that change careers to real estate.

Like, isn't there only so many homes, and only so many people willing to buy/sell?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
It's always seemed wild to me the sheer # of realtors out there, or people that change careers to real estate.

Like, isn't there only so many homes, and only so many people willing to buy/sell?
Many realtors see listing/ buy/sell as part of their business model. Many get in and find the best deals on rental and other properties as they get to the stage of "listing buy/sell" as a part of the mix. Some operate title companies and do new construction. I never wanted part of the acquisition as income (landlord) but did do many new builds with my partner. As an owner, you also get a cut of realtors operating under your Brokerage. With a background in wildlife/botany, I had sufficient knowledge to get several people on the staff of my sideline landscaping company.

Last edited:

BleedCycloneRed

Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
How long will it take for the "market" value of homes to decrease since the market value no longer has to include the 3% that the buyer's realtor was receiving as a commission. If the market value of homes does not drop to reflect this saving the seller will realize, is not the cost of purchasing a home actually going to increase (as the buyer now has to pay the broker separately and not have this cost included in the purchase price.)

Or are buyers going to ask the seller to compensate the buyer's realtor still so that the buyer does not have to come up with the cash to pay his own realtor, and then can include that cost as part of the mortgage. And we are back to including the value of the buyer's realtor in the market value of the home.

And with the upcoming confusion, who will know the true "market" value of a home?

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I've used realtors every time, and I will continue to do so. I've valued their knowledge on the buy side, and valued their network on the sell side. I can't exactly prove this, but I suspect they have "paid" for their commission's over the years.

To each their own.

• Winner
Reactions: cyclones7

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Alternative headline: The Great American Real Estate Scam Is Over

I'd love to see detailed breakdowns of commissions real estate agents charge divided by the actual hours they put into selling your home. The hourly rate has to be astronomical.

Amazing it took this long. It has always been blatant collusion, and they weren't even hiding it.
Found the realtor in the emojis

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
IMO having a buyer's agent depends on circumstances and if they're good. We've moved 3 times in the past 12 years. First move - we knew the area, I found the house. They were also the listing agent so....oh, well. With our second move, having a realtor to help us look for a home was a major help. We weren't from the area. She knew what homes would be coming on the market and had some ideas of who she could contact that might decide to sell. Third move was to another state. We had a good idea what area we wanted to move to and I found most of the homes we looked at. We ended up building a new home and in the end appreciated having her to deal with some things. So I'm kinda "meh" with that one.