Flowrestling Preseason Rankings

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Flo has Harrington 17th at 197. Kind of surprising to be honest. I think Harrington definitely has the skill to be there or higher. But his performances last year were very up and down

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Flo has Harrington 17th at 197. Kind of surprising to be honest. I think Harrington definitely has the skill to be there or higher. But his performances last year were very up and down
pretty much what I was thinking. Hopefully his demotion before Big12s last year help light a fire under his ass

cywr89

May 14, 2009
pretty much what I was thinking. Hopefully his demotion before Big12s last year help light a fire under his ass
He wasn't demoted, he lost in the wrestle-offs to AA Downey. He actually could have wrestled 285 at the Big 12s but didn't want to wrestle heavyweight. Yes, he didn't have the year we all hoped which was mostly do to being suspended the first half of the year. Also, for the record he beat the #8 & #18 kids and lost to the #6 & #10 guys so he probably should have been a little higher.

• Friendly
Reactions: PD2

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Doesn't look real good when taken at face value, and it's pretty fair based on known results, but I also think it's reasonable to believe we could get Larson ranked lowly at 125, along with Gabe moving up, as we all know what he's capable of when he's healthy. Hopefully he comes back strong this year.

Also, I certainly don't blame them for not ranking Dane at 165, since he's never made that weight, but it sounds like that's the plan, so if he gets down there he could make his way into the top 20.

141 and 157 will take marked improvement to become ranked, but it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

Downey at 184 will probably be our last ranked guy for now, but he should be top 5 at least.

#1 ... our Christmas present. :)

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
14572351_358077617860281_170351035911264146_n.jpg

Rather

Jul 21, 2014
Flowrestling puts Downey 7th at 184. That weight class is gonna be the one to watch this year. A whole lot of talent and accomplishments among the top 20.

It's not often you see a weight class with nine returning AA including 2 national champs and two other returning finalists. As a wrestling fan, the only thing that might make it better would be to see Cox move down since he did it for the Olympics.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Quean not ranked at HWT so we end up with five ranked wrestlers by Flo, with 3 ranked in the top 8.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I am actually excited to see some results from Teague, Hilleman, Silberstein and Swalla. I think all were injured most of the season last year

• Agree
Reactions: HGoat

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
It's not often you see a weight class with nine returning AA including 2 national champs and two other returning finalists. As a wrestling fan, the only thing that might make it better would be to see Cox move down since he did it for the Olympics.
And make it even better yet...Pfarr, too.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado

197 is the worst weight in the country this year, and I don't think its close.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Guess that makes sense. I wonder if we see anybody move up from 184 midseason

Thats a good question, I wonder if a guy like Sammy Brooks would consider going up for Iowa? Outside of him, almost everybody in the top 12 at 84 has someone at 97 on their team thats highly ranked (thus blocking them from moving up).

This is part of why I don't understand the move down to 84 for Downey. Outside of Cox I am confident a healthy Downey beats all of them. At 84, he can beat all of them, but its going to be a lot tougher. Unless Harrington is vastly improved it doesn't make much sense for us team wise. I do think Harrington is better than what he showed last year.

I'm also not sold on everyone ranked at 84 staying there. Nickal moving up to 84 doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd get it if he were making room for Mark Hall,but otherwise I don't think its best for them team wise. I think we'll see Nickal drop down to 74 and mccutcheon and rasheed wrestle 84 for PSU.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Thats a good question, I wonder if a guy like Sammy Brooks would consider going up for Iowa? Outside of him, almost everybody in the top 12 at 84 has someone at 97 on their team thats highly ranked (thus blocking them from moving up).

This is part of why I don't understand the move down to 84 for Downey. Outside of Cox I am confident a healthy Downey beats all of them. At 84, he can beat all of them, but its going to be a lot tougher. Unless Harrington is vastly improved it doesn't make much sense for us team wise. I do think Harrington is better than what he showed last year.

I'm also not sold on everyone ranked at 84 staying there. Nickal moving up to 84 doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd get it if he were making room for Mark Hall,but otherwise I don't think its best for them team wise. I think we'll see Nickal drop down to 74 and mccutcheon and rasheed wrestle 84 for PSU.

Downey has wrestled up for the past two years. I think he's earned the right to compete at his 'fighting weight'. I'm not a scholar on the NCAA tourney point system, but I think a champion earns a lot of points for his team.