Football Intro Music?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ornryactor @ Jun 10 2006, 02:01 AM) [post=4147]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'> I still get a kick out of the quote from that ESPN announcer that night:

"I never thought I'd hear the words 'Cyclone touchdown' before the game even started!" [/b][/quote]

You should submit that great quote to: http://en.thinkexist.com/quotes/

Too bad JP could not play that video before each homegame on the scoreboard as a way to warm up the fans. A little cyclone boogalo down Lincolnway.

goonies_89

Apr 12, 2006
i think the cyclonestruck is a great idea but if we do that we need to make up some shirts or something that say cyclonstruck and what not.....

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Time for someone motivated to make a poll on intro songs so we can all vote. Since I am not familiar with all the songs, suggest a yahoo.com music link (can be played for free up to 5 times) to check them out.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it already, but what about "Ridin' the Storm Out" by REO Speedwagon? It starts out with a storm siren, so it would fit in well with the theme.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abcguyks @ Jun 12 2006, 02:53 PM) [post=4345]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'> I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it already, but what about "Ridin' the Storm Out" by REO Speedwagon? It starts out with a storm siren, so it would fit in well with the theme.

[/b][/quote]

While I like that song and it might work, we can't possibly use a song by a group that did "We built this city on rock and roll".

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cydsho @ Jun 12 2006, 02:16 PM) [post=4348]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'>

While I like that song and it might work, we can't possibly use a song by a group that did "We built this city on rock and roll".

[/b][/quote]

While, in my opinion, REO is no better, "We built this City" was Starship, formerly Jefferson Starship, formerly Jefferson Airplane (thats what drugs do to band names).

Fletch

Apr 10, 2006
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BigDISU1 @ Jun 10 2006, 01:23 AM) [post=4146]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'> I like the idea of Thunderstruck by AC/DC and blaring tornado sirens before the game. That would be sweet
<

Combine that with a covered walkway from the Jacobsen building to the field to build up the suspense and I think it would be really great. Also, ISU has one of the largest tornado generators in the nation in one of the laboratories on campus. They should haul that thing over to Jack Trice and fire it up right in front of the opposing teams entrance. That would be almost as intimidating as the tornado before last years Colorado game.
<
<
Maybe thats too far... [/b][/quote]

Yeah throw a "new classic" like Thunderstruck in there with the sirens. I mean that really gets the blood pumping, rather than some brainless out dated techno. Every time I hear that song I just picture the talk on the other team "Hey man, didn't we hear this on a bad 90's tape at your sister's house?"

"Yeah man that's garbage!"

You have to go with something old enough to not be "out dated", but rather a "new classic". If you go with something new, you are constantly trying to beat the herd.

For example: Let's Go remix by Trick Daddy is a hype song, but people would be like "yah thats old," now picture the hotness you pick NOW, being completely played out by November.

You also have to take into account the mass appeal of the song, Just a hunch (****maybe someone should start a poll*******), but I'm thinking thunderstruck has state/fan wide appeal to different groups of people. Or at least more than "itchy and scratchy take their glow sticks to the rave".

Other songs for consideration:

The Who - Teenage Wasteland (start song while team is out of sight build excitement etc.)

Krokus- Long Stick Goes Boom

U2- Where the Streets have No Name

And if you are gonna go with some kina techno get something amped like Chemical Brothers-Block Rockin Beats

du4duks

Mar 24, 2006
Humboldt, IA
I hope we get a great new song. How about "Walk" by Pantera? That song has a ton of attitude and a great intro. It will not matter much if we don't have a better sound system. Our current sound system should be a lot louder. I thought it was supposed to be so great, I think my car stereo would have more power. Sorry for the rant, I have been very disappointed in the system from the very beginning. I can't wait for football.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Here are some things I'd like to see new/changed on gameday...

1. Tornado sirens upon Cyclones taking the field. This has been talked about quite a bit and I hear rumors it will happen. Please make it so. I think it will add something fun and unique - not to mention alerts the City of Ames their Cyclones are taking the field to do battle!

2. Night games. ISU is already doing this, especially in 2006. Many of the games I've attended, the night games seemed to have the best all-around game day atmosphere. Fans just "get up" a little more for night games. Very happy to see the first 3 home games are under the lights & stars. Keep this trend going!

3. Fan entrance to the stadium. Yup, everyone knows it, including JP, this must change. I'm not sure how, I don't have any magical solutions - yet there needs to be an incentive for fans to get into the stadium earlier and the entrance & staff needs to be better equipped to handle large numbers of fans in a short time period.

4. Weekly featured player from offense & defense. This could be done before the game, between quarters or at the half. Play a video of a player from offense and defense. Clips from an interview (with Chris and/or Brent!), some highlights, coach/parent comments, etc. Maybe show an embarrassing photo or two. Just something fun that lets us inside the life of a few players. Over the course of the season, almost every starter on each side could get coverage. Could even allow fans to vote for who should be featured on cyclones.com. Call it “Cy’s Profileâ€￾, “The Cy Spotlightâ€￾ or something along that line. I’m sure a local business would love to sponsor this.

5. Improve the concession/restroom log-jam. This is a problem most every stadium suffers. Half-time will always be busy, just part of it. Yet if there were some way to streamline this to some extent - that would be helpful. During non-peak times, a person aught to be able to grab some food or a quick visit to the restroom without missing 1/3 of a quarter or more.

6. TV/Radios in bathroom/concession area. It's a nice-to-have, but not a must. Actually, don't do it. Why "encourage" fans to be outside the stands? They'll see someone they know & instead of saying "we'll catch up after the game" they'll stand in the way talking - while catching the game on TV or radio. If the time it takes to get food or a restroom break can be improved, the TV/radio thing becomes obsolete.

7. Increase band volume. Depending on where you sit, when the band is in the stands, it can be hard to hear them. Perhaps give them a few mics that pump the sound through the speakers once in a while.

isumellie

May 18, 2006
Waukee, IA
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ISUFan22 @ Jun 13 2006, 11:58 AM) [post=4448]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'> Here are some things I'd like to see new/changed on gameday...

7. Increase band volume. Depending on where you sit, when the band is in the stands, it can be hard to hear them. Perhaps give them a few mics that pump the sound through the speakers once in a while.
[/b][/quote]

I like most of your other ideas but being a member of the band I would have to veto the mics big time. I am not sure but it may also be some sort of rule violation. There is already rules about when we can and can not play so it would not surprise me if there is also rules about mics. Also I think that the move of the band to the north endzone may help with the sound problem. Hopefully we could also add a few more members to the band. It seems the more hype that is around the football team the bigger the band is. I guess the chance of a free trip to both the Big XII championship and a bowl game sure helps.

I love the siren idea. This was already said but keep in mind that when the team runs through the band's tunnel the band plays fights so anything that is going on over the sound system will also be competing with the playing of fights and everyone clapping to it.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Good points about the rules. I head something about a move but wasn't sure it was finalized.

Looking forward to listening to ya this fall!

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(isumellie @ Jun 14 2006, 01:34 AM) [post=4531]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'>

I like most of your other ideas but being a member of the band I would have to veto the mics big time. I am not sure but it may also be some sort of rule violation. There is already rules about when we can and can not play so it would not surprise me if there is also rules about mics. Also I think that the move of the band to the north endzone may help with the sound problem. Hopefully we could also add a few more members to the band. It seems the more hype that is around the football team the bigger the band is. I guess the chance of a free trip to both the Big XII championship and a bowl game sure helps.
[/b][/quote]

I don't think amplifying the band would, in itself, be a violation. As you mention, we're already (mostly) following the NCAA rules about when we're allowed to play and when we're not (and yes, there ARE rules- lots of them). The problem is that it's just too hard, technically. Jack Trice is not an acoustically-designed stadium, and I don't want to consider feedback sqealing through all 300 kajllion-watt speakers in the JT sound system. We don't want people to literally bleed cardinal... Also, we can't have the band and the announcer on the sound system at the same time, and nobody wants that anyway.

I think the move to the north end zone will "help". We will be right next to all of the groups of people that want to hear us. The south ends of both stands are primarily the visiting fans, families with small children (because the south hillsides are good play zones), and senior citizens. They never really cared much about hearing us. So the north end wants to hear us, and they will, but the southern end will still have a tough time in a lot of cases.

Give Smith some credit- the band is getting bigger because people are seeing how good it is. We got a lot of inspired comments from the Iowa and Oklahoma State bands when they came, and especially from the Texas Christian band in Houston. But yeah, free trips are nice... Plus the band is like a free season ticket in the student section. Everyone there gets just as riled up about the game, without all the chanted expletives. It's a blast, and August can't come soon enough.

isumellie

May 18, 2006
Waukee, IA
Yea I should give Mr Smith credit because the band is gettting a lot better but it is just harder for me to see that because I have only been in it with Mr Smith so I didnt really know what it was like before.

I also thought of another thing that would not make it work micing the band. I would always walk by Steve Wilson doing the weather report for the game before we did pregame and there was over a one second delay to when he said the report to when it went across the speakers. Having that much of a delay would make it sound more of a continous echo then amplifying the band.

tellmac

May 10, 2006
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clone33 @ Jun 9 2006, 11:21 AM) [post=4078]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'> As a recent graduate of ISU i have to say the people i hung out with loved the older music (VanHalen, ZZ Top, Zeppelin, AC/DC) thats why thats the music i had on my list. I am reconsiderign kashmir because i love the song but it wouldnt really go with the sirens. But the more i listen to "Right now" the more i can hear the sirens and see the sea of cardinal rushing onto the field. I love it. i love the intro to the song and its a really good beat. with good drums and guitar. The lyrics work with our football scene type thing to pump up the players. Plus, who doesnt like VanHalen????

Lyrics:

Dont wanna wait till tommorrow

dont put it off another day

and nothin will stand in our way...

(something like that)

And the lyrics arent until about a minute and a half into the song so we can highlight the music and sirens during the whole entrance. [/b][/quote]

tellmac

May 10, 2006
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drews79 @ Jun 8 2006, 08:51 PM) [post=4007]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'> I'm sure this has been discussed before but I feel it is worth another discussion. I think that we need to change the music as our football team enters the field. It seems as if we have been playing this same song for about 10 years. I am not sure what we should play but I feel it is time for a change. I don't think the players or the fans get that pumped for the song that we have been playing

The Ames Tornado siren would be really cool. If we mixed some good music after it, that would make it better. What does everyone think? Has the tornado siren thing been finalized yet?

I have faith in Mr. Pollard. Whatever we change it will be for the better! [/b][/quote]

tellmac

May 10, 2006
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bryceman @ Jun 12 2006, 02:37 PM) [post=4336]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'> Time for someone motivated to make a poll on intro songs so we can all vote. Since I am not familiar with all the songs, suggest a yahoo.com music link (can be played for free up to 5 times) to check them out. [/b][/quote]

How about the loud screeching of a dying HAWK!!!

ppclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bryceman @ Jun 9 2006, 11:02 AM) [post=4074]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'> Some newer music to consider (great titles also):

Monkey Business by Black Eyed Peas

Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson

Back to Bedlam by James Brunt

All the Right Reasons by Nickelback

The Massacre by 50 cent

The Sound of Revenge Chamillionaire [/b][/quote]

Kely Clarkson. Seriously. Stop. I now have to go to the ER since i broke my Ulna falling off my chair laughing.

No offense to girl music. I mean that. But i'd go only so far as to say "Ready to Go" by Republica....and thats a stretch.

Like the AC/DC like everyone else. Or Welcome to the Jungle. Or Animal from Pearl Jam. Or something from Rob Zombie.....that'd freak out the old donors. Come to think of it, that's perfect. Put em close to a loudspeaker and show their reaction on the pimpin 150-foot DiamondvVision (think Baltimor Ravens stadium) that J-Poll is gonna have donated by **** Jacobson. Which, come to think of it, should be donated by the alum who co-founded Hooters. Or the dude who invented the computer - he has to have SOME royalties coming.

I digress. Gotta go figure out which Taylor Hicks song would be the best intro!

goclonz

Apr 12, 2006
I'm not sure if it's been said yet, but what about the original Crazy Train? I'm not sure who sings it. Just an idea.

dcypal

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Seriosuly..........

Everyone go check out "Right Here, Right Now" by Fat Boy Slim. It would go great with the Cyclone Sirens and can you imagine the whole stadium screaming in unison RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW! It would be awesome