Former Texas HC, now assaulter, fired

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Nor on any of the major sports sites. They're getting confirmations and doing their due diligence. I understand it. Barely anyone is reporting it yet.
CBSsports has an article by Matt Norlander.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Story just hit ESPN, CBS, the athletic now.

That's good see ESPN had it. In my head it just seems like ESPN would drag longer than anyone then have to reluctantly report something negative on their golden calf.

The balance of wanting to get news out there before others and making sure information is accurate can't be easy.

Reactions: CyNews

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Holy ****. He has a wife and three daughters so "assault on a family/household member" by "preventing the victim from breathing" ain't looking good for him.
An elaborate way of saying he was choking one of his family members out. What a class act.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
So let's say the allegations are true.....range of punishments would be at best a short suspension and at worst immediately fired and jail time? Have charges been pressed?

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
BTW what did NU do in handling a similar event with Mickey Joseph? Granted Joseph may have been let go but NU probably still had a settlement going his way. Depending on how this is portrayed by the folks in Austin, it could get interesting.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I realize it's Texas. However, It's Texas basketball. Whole different deal than Texas football. If Sark does this when they are ranked top 5. Slap on the wrist. However, depending what went down, Verdicts, that type of thing. I am guessing Beard get's fired.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So let's say the allegations are true.....range of punishments would be at best a short suspension and at worst immediately fired and jail time? Have charges been pressed?

I'd say minimum he's suspended for the remainder of the season. Future will depend on the legal proceedings. I would not expect him to get fired right away. The little details we have don't look good, but he should have the chance to defend himself just like any other person before Texas makes a decision on his employment.

Reactions: riceville98

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'd say minimum he's suspended for the remainder of the season. Future will depend on the legal proceedings. I would not expect him to get fired right away. The little details we have don't look good, but he should have the chance to defend himself just like any other person before Texas makes a decision on his employment.

Yep he gets his day in court, but unless a family member is crying wolf, it's going to be tough to explain this one.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't know how choking someone out wouldn't be attempted murder? Maybe it depends on if someone stopped him or if he stopped himself?

If the allegations as we know them now are true... I don't see how they can keep him employed. It's well beyond a bad look.... there would be thousands of protesters out front of the arena every home game.

• Disagree
Reactions: I@ST1

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Hope his family has a no contact order and gets the help they need. Horrible situation for the family members. Dude has problems.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
For most programs, this is instant termination. For Texas, the boosters will either drop a bag of cash to the defendant to get the charges dropped, or drop enough cash into the legal proceedings to get a plea deal that ends in a restraining order, community service, and a return to the coaching bench.

• Agree
Reactions: Ankency

Help Support Us

Become a patron