Foundry Brewer/Distiller Alliance

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
It is cool they do this.

I’ll say I picked up a bottle of the first Boulevard collab they did and I think it’s awful...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
At the Whiskey Club tasting event, they had done really good stuff.

And now a collaboration with Toppling Goliath’s Pseudo Sue!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
So on these collabs what are they blending together and aging? I know nothing about this process.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I sampled all of the ones at the Whiskey Club event.

I went in thinking I would love the Blonde Fatale collab but ended up loving the Furious collab.

I made sure to buy one as soon as they became available.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
So on these collabs what are they blending together and aging? I know nothing about this process.

Essentially, they start with the same beer mash as really good craft beers, but make whiskey out of it. Really cool idea.

Here's the quote from the Foundry website:

"We are also collaborating with some of the best breweries in the industry to make some of the most unique and interesting whiskies in the world. The brewers make the wort at their facility and we further process it into whiskey by fermenting, distilling and barrel aging the product at our world class distillery."

Here's another good quote I found:

"Starches are converted to sugars, which brewers refer to as wort and distillers call wash. The product is then fermented to create beer. Whiskey requires a couple of additional steps. The beer is distilled to increase the proof and the distillate is then barrel-aged to create whiskey.

The Foundry team has been collaborating with various breweries for many years, and we came up with an idea. Why don’t we use the recipes for some of our favorite beers and further process these into whiskey? The Brewer-Distiller Alliance was born. Picture yourself enjoying a bottle of the beer and a glass of whiskey, both of which started their life as the same liquid!"

They've even done a nice job with the bottles to build on the image used for the beer. The Peacetree Blond Fatale whiskey bottle is epic.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Cycho1

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I just picked up a couple bottles of the latest release (Left Hand Milk Stout) and I am excited to try it.

I visit this site pretty regular and those Pseudo Sue versions are a pretty recent add, and I'm excited to see it.

I am probably going to get the DSM IPA version, the next Left Hand Stout version, and definitely Pseudo Sue. It's just a cool idea with an element of unique flavor (for a craft beer enthusiast like me) that I love to support.

Reactions: Cycho1 and Cycsk

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If you haven't looked at Mississippi River Distilling's list of products recently, you will be impressed by the number and variety of products they make:

The guys on the CF podcasts undersell what they have to offer, albeit lots of it is small batch seasonal stuff.