Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Eickholdt today or yesterday said one of the reason things move slower for Fran in the portal is he one of the cleanest recruiters out there and he does everything by the book or something like that. There are basically no rules anymore so not sure what the hell that is even supposed to mean lol
More likely, all the NIL money over east is going to football and WBB and with little money to offer the kids, few are interested in going to school that is going to struggle to win games.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Eickholdt today or yesterday said one of the reason things move slower for Fran in the portal is he one of the cleanest recruiters out there and he does everything by the book or something like that. There are basically no rules anymore so not sure what the hell that is even supposed to mean lol
Um, didn't Fran recruit and sign a felon in Anthony Hubbard? And then ended up booting him off the team?

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa

So he can't recruit in today's environment because he's too clean? That's an interesting position to take. Not only are you saying a vast majority of your peers are cheats, but you're also acknowledging you're no good at a big part of your job. Let's see how that works out for him. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that he doesn't land much talent in the transfer portal and uses extra scholarships on walk-ons.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
And one of the reasons I'm not with Angelina Jolie is I'm just such a gosh darn family man.

Sorry Angie, already taken. D**n these principles of mine!

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Damn I should see if I can get a walk on spot at Iowa. Good chance that turns into a full ride scholarship

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Yeah, they fully back NIL . . . . or not. Especially not for MBB. First comment below was he contributed to NIL by buying Smarm beer and it tasted like piss so he has never given any more.

1712797045459.png

1712797194305.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Acylum and chadly82

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I think Fran’s position is all scholarship players get the same amount of NIL the last I knew. You can either criticize or defend that. Rings a little hollow when you’re making millions and your son is getting NIL $.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I've been doing my transfer portal following for this year again for a few weeks now and I noticed that I haven't seen Fran or Iowas names come up once yet as far as pursing active transfers. Just between Keegan(likely) and Bohannon leaving that's their top 2 scorers, top rebounder, and 2 of their top 3 3pt shooters. Yet no real effort to replace them. They do have 2 guards coming in but they don't seem to have much for bigs next year, which will likely be a problem. Any reason why Fran seems to despise the portal so much?

Other than the obvious reason of The Right Way of course

Fran Portal Quote:

Doesn't seem like a smart decision to get behind the wheel after drinking at any time, but it seems even dumber 2 weeks before an event that can result in life-changing money for you and your family.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
More likely, all the NIL money over east is going to football and WBB and with little money to offer the kids, few are interested in going to school that is going to struggle to win games.

It was my understanding that very little NIL funds are going into the WBB program. Clark was supported through sponsorship deals, I don't think the Swarm collective paid her a dime.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It was my understanding that very little NIL funds are going into the WBB program. Clark was supported through sponsorship deals, I don't think the Swarm collective paid her a dime.
Clark didn't take any, but you can bet the rest of the team sure did. The Swarm knew they had a great chance to win a Natty, they would be silly not to pony up and ensure that the players were coming back.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Clark didn't take any, but you can bet the rest of the team sure did. The Swarm knew they had a great chance to win a Natty, they would be silly not to pony up and ensure that the players were coming back.

It doesn't sound like it took much to convince a bunch of average players to stick around and play with one of the greatest of all time.

Reactions: keepngoal