Frank Hoiberg

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
And this is different from any grown up job with responsibility....how? I have to know a crazy amount of things for my job, but if I make a mistake just a few times in a day, it looks pretty bad on me. Over time, people start doubting your skills.

No disrespect to whatever you do, but not all jobs are created equal or have the same performance expectations (nor should they).

Stewski

Jul 3, 2014
Lawrence
Well at least they're not going on and on about Hoiberg growing up 5 blocks from Hilton, being a ball boy, becoming a hometown hero, returning to his alma mater after a successful NBA career, blah blah blah.

But that's probably because they forgot his name.

Their job is to inform the uninformed. I know it gets old but the announcers need fill in. Would you rather them talk about Hoiberg being a hometown hero and how good of a coach he is or have awkward silence. TV is for the uninformed viewer, unlike its radio counterpart. People in Alabama probably don't know any of these facts, but the same can be said when they talk about Bama. When you watch any team game in game out, the quick facts are gonna get annoying.

Just sayin

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
No disrespect to whatever you do, but not all jobs are created equal or have the same performance expectations (nor should they).

I agree, they shouldn't, but compared to other jobs in the world...reading a name off a teleprompter is not as hard as many other jobs. I'm sorry, I've read off a teleprompter before (no it's not as easy as it seems but it's also not rocket science) and there shouldn't be any excuse for reading "Fred" as "Frank" (for example) especially when you were a former ******* teammate of the guy's.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I agree, they shouldn't, but compared to other jobs in the world...reading a name off a teleprompter is not as hard as many other jobs. I'm sorry, I've read off a teleprompter before (no it's not as easy as it seems but it's also not rocket science) and there shouldn't be any excuse for reading "Fred" as "Frank" (for example) especially when you were a former ******* teammate of the guy's.

Well I don't know about you, but I think I'll write my Congressman a strongly worded letter expressing my indignation.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Well I don't know about you, but I think I'll write my Congressman a strongly worded letter expressing my indignation.

The point is, it gets annoying and it's not about ISU. It's just in general. These guys have cheat sheets and are reading off paper most of the time during broadcasts yet they can still get away with ******* up a major part of their jobs. It's just flat out embarrassing to the people and also networks.

Luckily, the average fan doesn't know 90% of the stuff they're saying. They could completely make up facts and only a very small percentage of people would realize it.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
The point is, it gets annoying and it's not about ISU. It's just in general. These guys have cheat sheets and are reading off paper most of the time during broadcasts yet they can still get away with ******* up a major part of their jobs. The thought that they are regurgitating most of the stuff from memory during a game is not accurate in the least bit. Just imagine you're given the rosters for both teams with stats, yet you can't even accurately read off names or stats. I mean come on.

Luckily, the average fan doesn't know 90% of the stuff they're saying. They could completely make up facts and only a very small percentage of people would realize it.

So what if, you know, the cheat sheet itself is incorrect? Did I just blow your mind?

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
So what if, you know, the cheat sheet itself is incorrect? Did I just blow your mind?

Why would you have blown my mind? No, it still looks bad no matter what. I just don't buy into the ******** excuse that somehow their jobs are harder than most grown up jobs with responsibility and can magically get away with making errors every other minute on the job.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Okay, so we can all at least agree that Frank "The Tank" Hoiberg coaches at least two players: Jamaal McKat and Clanton Custer.

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
McKat is gonna be a force when he becomes eligble. Say, didn't he get suspended for marijuana possession and kicked out of school?

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014

Just a couple thoughts:

1. Speaking as a guy with a background in video production with the Big Ten Network, those guys aren't reading off of a teleprompter, it is impromptu banter between analysts. The only time a teleprompter would be used is for the anchor to lead in and out of segments with.

2. The difference between your mistakes and their mistakes is that yours can be caught and corrected before you turn it in for public consumption. There's are immediately broadcast across the country. I've made a couple typos just in writing this post that I caught and corrected with nobody any the wiser (until now).

3. I would be willing to bet Jay always called him Hoiberg when they played together, not Fred (or Frank).

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Frank will have a pretty stellar squad with George Niang, Clanton Custer and Jameer McKat this year. I just wish Melvin Eeejim had one more year of eligibility.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Frank will have a pretty stellar squad with George Niang, Clanton Custer and Jameer McKat this year. I just wish Melvin Eeejim had one more year of eligibility.

Yeah, it was a shame that we also lost Rice White. He was a great player, even with his anxiety.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Wasn't Jay Williams the one saying stupid stuff about Hoiberg and all of the Bulls smoking pot before games? Maybe he meant Frank instead of Fred?