Fraschilla/Bilas

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
You know how when you meet someone for the first time, you just don't like them but you can't really pinpoint exactly why? That's how I've always felt about Bilas. I think it must be an arrogance that he seems to carry with him.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Bilas is a bad combo for me.
- monotone and low energy
- talks about basketball like it’s super serious and forgets that it’s supposed to fun
- all those years of being next to Dickie V as a contrast gave Bilas this reputation for being smart, but I’ve never really heard him say anything intelligent. He’s just a guy that doesn’t yell and scream so people think hes some genius.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
He should be forced to legally change his name to "Bias", as every time he calls a big game he clearly displayed some sort of bias for a conference or team. It's always been clear his heart is and always will be in the ACC.

If Jay wasn't so arrogant I'd prefer him as he brings more to the broadcast. While Fran says some incredibly stupid things and is (obviously) an ISU homer, he at least has humility, something Bilas never has had.

I'd prefer neither but if I had to pick between these two I'd rather have Fran.
Of course you don't like Fran lol. Is there anything you actually like?

Reactions: Chitowncy

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I like Fran better, but I don't mind Bilas. I think he's better than a lot of other guys ESPN throws out there. Although I typically listen to John and Eric and sync it up with the broadcast when ISU is playing.

Reactions: AvonLakeCyclone

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Fran knows the Big 12 and brings a great feel for the players, coaches and history of the conference. Whereas Bilas is a drive by. Plus Fran brings so much personality to each telecast.

My 10 year old son and I sat next to him and his ESPN crew at a restaurant in the P&L after a game in KC several years ago and he is the nicest human being. Fran spent 5 minutes talking to my son about his youth basketball team.
Doubt people remember it but, Fran did a meet and greet for clone fans at Panera Bread when he was in town to do a game. My picture with him that day is a cherished keepsake.

I second it. Nicest guy you'll ever meet. Wish he did all our games

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Fran is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to players (even non-Big 12). He really does his homework on teams.

When I listen to Jay Bilas, I feel like he is talking down to me.
I doubt there are many commentators that travel around the country visiting preseason practices or travel to games that s/he isn't working. I'm sure some guys go to local games from time to time but Fran goes out of his way to visit every Big 12 progam in the preseason.

He loves BB and is proud of being ultra prepared. Some may say he gets too much credit, but I think he is the best ESPN has and he doesn't get enought credit for how hard he works.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Fran is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to players (even non-Big 12). He really does his homework on teams.

When I listen to Jay Bilas, I feel like he is talking down to me.
They (ESPN) just needs to assign certain guys to certain conferences.

Bilas can go suck off the ACC teams and do their big games. Stay off our Big 12 turf and we'll take Fran.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Bilas is a bad combo for me.
- monotone and low energy
- talks about basketball like it’s super serious and forgets that it’s supposed to fun
- all those years of being next to Dickie V as a contrast gave Bilas this reputation for being smart, but I’ve never really heard him say anything intelligent. He’s just a guy that doesn’t yell and scream so people think hes some genius.
I'm not a fan of Bilas but the dude is smart and knows the game. He just comes off smug and gives a bad impression. I'd probably be a bit of an arrogant a hole if I was a D1 basketball player turned broadcaster and lawyer.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I'd take King McClure of Fran. But seriously, one of the things I can't stand about Fran is he will yell out some definitive statement like say there is a charge called, he will say "YEP THAT IS ABSOLUTELY A CHARGE! THAT IS THE CORRECT CALL, COACH X OR PLAYER X HAS NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT" Then a replay will show that no, in fact it wasn't correctly called but he just doubles down like you don't have eyes. YEP CORRECT CALL! SEE THAT WAS A CHARGE.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron