NFL: Free Agency Thread

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Romo going into broadcasting...

I honestly don't blame him. He could play for a few more years and hopefully not get hurt again. Or he could take one big hit this coming season and have trouble walking in the future.

Pretty sure he's been smart with his money, and this broadcasting check will be nice.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...b-tony-romo-leaving-football-broadcast-career

The Cowboys released Romo earlier today, which leaves the door cracked open for a possible return. I doubt he'll get lured out of the booth, but suppose he's not good at it. Or he doesn't enjoy it. Or a Super Bowl contender with a good offensive line and defense loses their starting QB and throws a shitload of cash at him? Definitely something to keep an eye on.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...le-seahawks-discussed-trading-richard-sherman

Kind of an interesting story here. I doubt anything will come of it, but Richard Sherman is learning that teams will only put up with a disruptive player in the locker room as long as his productivity outpaces his BS. I think Seattle's trying to send him a message that he's right on the edge and he needs to shut up.

If nothing ever comes of it, it's not much of a threat then, is it? Do you really think that it's going to quiet him down in any way? Not a chance. Sherman is a fan favorite up there, and loved by his teammates. He's also a big trash talker on a team full of trash talkers. This feels like ESPN's typical contrived angle on a slow news day. Something for their talking heads to chew on and spit out for "content."

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If nothing ever comes of it, it's not much of a threat then, is it? Do you really think that it's going to quiet him down in any way? Not a chance. Sherman is a fan favorite up there, and loved by his teammates. He's also a big trash talker on a team full of trash talkers. This feels like ESPN's typical contrived angle on a slow news day. Something for their talking heads to chew on and spit out for "content."

I'd agree if the chatter was coming from "anonymous sources". But John Schneider and Pete Carroll have openly admitted to discussing a trade with multiple teams. Why would they do that if for no other reason to send a subtle message to a player? It makes no sense to single out one guy like that just for the hell of it.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'd agree if the chatter was coming from "anonymous sources". But John Schneider and Pete Carroll have openly admitted to discussing a trade with multiple teams. Why would they do that if for no other reason to send a subtle message to a player? It makes no sense to single out one guy like that just for the hell of it.
Send a subtle message to a guy who they know has about .0001% chance of actually changing a thing about the way he approaches his career?

The thing is, this was coming from anonymous sources. It's been out there for a while. Today's news is just Seattle confirming it. This is them saying "Yeah, we look at potential moves for guys all the time, even high profile guys. Nothing usually comes of it, though." Could be that they're getting it out there in public to assure one of their most vocal players that they're not going behind his back on anything, because they know he'd squawk if they were, and I guarantee they don't want that. That's just as likely as them sending a subtle message, like you're intimating.

Think about it. If they wanted to send a message to Sherman, doing it publicly is the absolute worst way to do it. He's all ego. You "cross" him in public, he's going to respond, and blow things up. That's the last thing they want. A vocal, publicly slighted Sherman doesn't improve his trade value. If they wanted to send him a message about him being critical of Carroll, they sure as heck wouldn't do it in public.

I think this is about assessing value. Nothing more. Sherman's right at the age for a corner, where teams have to start looking toward diminishing returns. He's got several good years left in him, but with the way his contract lines up, you might want to test the waters and see what you can get out of him. If you can get a massive haul for him now, you think about it.

I don't think it goes much beyond that at all.