Freshman Advice Thread

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
it was about 230 on half if I remember right

eek. hopefully you'll be able to sell it back for the same then. They had just changed editions for one of my books when I had to get it, and I sold it back at the end of the semester for like $5 more. I was pretty excited to get that $215 back.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I always waited on getting textbooks till I found out if we'd actually use them.

yeah, I would do that too, but Spanish he might be in trouble if he's supposed to be using the homework pages out of the book right away.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
yeah, I would do that too, but Spanish he might be in trouble if he's supposed to be using the homework pages out of the book right away.
Find someone who has the book(preferably of the opposite sex).

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Work your *** off during the week. Party hard on the weekends. When you are of age, take taco tuesday, pint night, and mug night easy. It will make your life much more enjoyable.

Learned that the hard way. GPA has been on a steady incline since learning these lessons

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
So is the consensus to buy the book before classes start or hold off?
Definitely hold off til after syllabus time and getting a feel for the professor. Sometimes homework comes straight from the book, sometimes the book is very useful for studying for exams, other times it is completely useless and is only there for a crutch and the teacher pretty much does his/her own thing.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
GET MEAL BUNDLES. I didn't figure out you could get to slices of Godfather pizza, chips, apples, a cookie, and a drink until 3/4 of the way through my freshman year. It's nice when you wanna just grab your food and go back to the dorm and eat/study.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
AND. If you're someone who doesn't always eat 3 meals a day, AT LEAST drop your meal plan to silver.

I ended up going down to bronze because I'm not a big breakfast eater. Wasted meals are a waste of money.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Work your *** off during the week. Party hard on the weekends. When you are of age, take taco tuesday, pint night, and mug night easy. It will make your life much more enjoyable.

Learned that the hard way. GPA has been on a steady incline since learning these lessons

All good advice, except the bolded.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
My other piece of advice for when you are 21 is that you can get mixed drinks as a part of mug night. Yes mugs of mix drinks.

cy4life94

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2012
Cedar Rapids

This. I know a couple of guys who will just do a little work everyday and then play xbox or watch netflix the rest of the night but they couldn't really party on the weekends because they had too much work to do. You will have way more fun if you get everything done before the weekend and can relax after that.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
Going into my freshman year.. How does this look?

Change that Pysch to 11 or later and you will be golden. If an section exists at a later time but is full on the registration site you can still get into that section a large majority of the time.

CYvilEng

Aug 20, 2012
Des Moines
8) Treat school like on-the-job training. You are paying for it, make it worth it.

You can't beat this advice. To take it one step further, let's pretend your earliest class of the week is at 9am. Every day of the week you get up and start your day at 9am. Its job training so get your butt up and do school work from 9-5. Or maybe you only need 9-4. Maybe that's too much for your major so it's Mon-thurs. Whatever you need, do it for set hours and set days. If you are in your room during the day, do you end up watching tv or playing video games?, maybe you need to go to a computer lab or library. Now your evenings and weekends are free to have all the fun you want. Your friends will be dumb enough to be writing papers at midnight on sunday but you'll be drunk and making fun of them.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Here is my class schedule. Wish I was going back this fall. :(

Help Support Us

Become a patron