Friday OT - Don’t You Forget About Me

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Whenever I chat with my best friend from high school and reference someone from our school days, she almost unfailingly does not remember who I am referencing. Another good guy friend’s the same way - less with people, but more with situations. I am terrible with names of new people, but don’t forget that type of stuff ever, so it is hard for me to reconcile that in my head!

Do you have a good or bad memory? Do you have an area that is better or worse than others? Has it ever bitten you in the butt?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm terrible at recognizing people. I can have entire generic conversations with people and don't know who I'm talking to. I usually break down and ask who they are.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean and Angie

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'm also terrible with names of new people. I've even tried the trick of saying their name a few times and 5 minutes later I still can't remember. I used to have a little note board on my fridge that if I met a woman I would write her name down when I got home so I wouldn't forget.
I went to my 35th high school reunion, there were a couple of women there I was talking to, I didn't remember them and they didn't remember me. Of course I had over 400 in my senior class.
I do remember on graduation when they called one name and the guy walked across the stage to get his diploma remarked to myself, so that's who that is.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm also terrible with names of new people. I've even tried the trick of saying their name a few times and 5 minutes later I still can't remember. I used to have a little note board on my fridge that if I met a woman I would write her name down when I got home so I wouldn't forget.
I went to my 35th high school reunion, there were a couple of women there I was talking to, I didn't remember them and they didn't remember me. Of course I had over 400 in my senior class.
I do remember on graduation when they called one name and the guy walked across the stage to get his diploma remarked to myself, so that's who that is.

Same!! It is like I recognize the face independently, I recognize the name independently sometimes, but linking the two is broken until I have met them several times.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I have a great memory of events. There are entire days of my life 20 years ago that almost play back in my brain like a movie.

But I can't remember names, specific figures, things I need to do, etc so I'm constantly taking notes and recording everything so I don't have to remember. The calendar on my phone has become my most important life tool.

Struggling to remember names is always embarrassing for me, especially because I'll recognize the face and remember all sorts of details about the person (where they live, what they do for a living) but I'll just blank on the name. I've learned tricks to coax it out without having to out myself on that front.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and GMackey32

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I have a great memory of events. There are entire days of my life 20 years ago that almost play back in my brain like a movie.

But I can't remember names, specific figures, things I need to do, etc so I'm constantly taking notes and recording everything so I don't have to remember. The calendar on my phone has become my most important life tool.

Struggling to remember names is always embarrassing for me, especially because I'll recognize the face and remember all sorts of details about the person (where they live, what they do for a living) but I'll just blank on the name. I've learned tricks to coax it out without having to out myself on that front.

I'm the exact same way. I remember so many stupid and meaningless things but don't send me to the grocery store for more than 3 things without a list.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Whenever I chat with my best friend from high school and reference someone from our school days, she almost unfailingly does not remember who I am referencing. Another good guy friend’s the same way - less with people, but more with situations. I am terrible with names of new people, but don’t forget that type of stuff ever, so it is hard for me to reconcile that in my head!

Do you have a good or bad memory? Do you have an area that is better or worse than others? Has it ever bitten you in the butt?
When you’re referencing someone from high school it best not be me she forgets!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I have a weird memory. Only rarely do I remember references when they are brought up, but if I can connect one key piece of an event, the rest of that memory will come back to mind. Not great with names either.

But I'll also have weird moments when an specific moment in time floods back into my brain in clear detail for no reason at all. That seems to happen most when I'm about to drift off to sleep.

There was a time where I was very nostalgic and spent a lot of time looking backwards on what might have beens. I made a conscious effort to stop that, and I'm much happier since (but I do think it affects my recall when someone brings something up).

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'm terrible at recognizing people. I can have entire generic conversations with people and don't know who I'm talking to. I usually break down and ask who they are.
My brother who is eight years older than me is awful at this. He asks me who some guy he went to high school is. I was 10 when he graduated, it’s not like they hung out with me when I was in elementary school.

My problem increasingly is who I told something to. We talk to all five sons every weekend at some point but always repeat stuff cause I think I just told one of the other kids when I told that one 20 minutes ago. I told the same son his uncle was getting knee replacement three times in one phone call. They’ll be putting me in the old people’s home as soon as they can.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Nothing is better or worse got to my few close friends to HS. When I left the small town and started in Iowa State. This has come from my closest friends now, just didn't see or talk to the HSers. Although I am now dating I girl that I knew in Hy-Vee in past 23 years ago.

Reactions: Angie

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I tailor stories to the details that I think the person would enjoy. Not lying, just glossing over certain parts for the sake of the story.

So, I sometimes forget which details I told to which people about a story and if a new third person is with us and wants to hear about it because it was referenced.

I’ve done this before and the person I originally told said “you left out the best part!”

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Same!! It is like I recognize the face independently, I recognize the name independently sometimes, but linking the two is broken until I have met them several times.
My wife is crazy good with names and faces on TV and in movies. They could literally be made up to look like someone else at a way different age, and she'll know who it is instantly. Apparently she pays extremely close attention to facial features, because just the nose or eyes gets it for her somehow.

• Wow

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I tend to remember things better when I read or write them. I'm not an auditory learner/retainer of information. I think that is why spoken names don't sink in and I forget them so easily.

I also REALLY struggle to focus on a voice if there are other noises going on since I tend to process all of the sounds equally. I'm as likely to remember the sound of a door slamming or a dog barking as I am the contents of a conversation.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I am good at recognizing people, but struggle with their names.

I also am bad at remembering things that at the time don't seem important, but turn out later. I'm a couple months in to a new job and am experiencing this now.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I am terrible with new names until we've interacted several times. I have an excellent memory for discussions and requests, which really helped in my career. My wife had a horrible memory for conversations and events that happened. I can't count the number of times I had to say, "Don't you remember me telling you about this last ...?"

• Agree

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm really good at remembering the most useless **** and mediocre with remembering important things/dates.
I've really started to Google calendar everything now. EVERYTHING.
If I'm at an event and meet X person, I'll go back in to that event and type met X.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and drlove

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Generally awful, I don’t remember large, large pieces of things I’ve done, places we’ve gone, things we’ve done. Short term is pretty ok though.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm bad at remembering names of people I just met. Also bad at remembering dates of things my wife views as a milestone or significant date for some reason that I don't view as something I need to make a point of remembering every year on that date.