Friday OT - Don’t You Forget About Me

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Whenever I chat with my best friend from high school and reference someone from our school days, she almost unfailingly does not remember who I am referencing. Another good guy friend’s the same way - less with people, but more with situations. I am terrible with names of new people, but don’t forget that type of stuff ever, so it is hard for me to reconcile that in my head!

Do you have a good or bad memory? Do you have an area that is better or worse than others? Has it ever bitten you in the butt?
I've been pretty good at names and faces over the years as I made a point of knowing peoples names.
now a few years ago I had a co-worker, Scott, that I interacted with a decent amoutn for months. after a while, he shared his name is actually Dave...or Bill, or something that wasn't Scott. I was embarrassed, but i had to tell him it is too late to change now.

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
When you’re referencing someone from high school it best not be me she forgets!

I mentioned to her once that I chat with you on here occasionally, and she successfully knew who you were! Good job at being one of the few who is recognizable!

• Haha
Reactions: dahliaclone

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
My long term memory is bad with regard to specific details sometimes. Regarding recognizing people even if I see someone who looks like a person I know I wait for them to make the connection for fear of being wrong.

Equally horrifying is someone recognizing me and I have no idea who they are.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I can remember specific situations from my younger days pretty well and that includes scores of high school football games or specific situations in that or other sports or even social situations like fumbling really bad by being blind to a crush basically stamping 'ask me out!' on my forehead.

But if I go to the to get 3 items at the store only 2 will make it home.

Reactions: cyclones500

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My memory is pretty good, I call it "total recall". The exception is names until I've met a person a bunch of times. And forget a group setting or meeting where you get introduced to half a dozen new peeps at once. Good thing I was never in sales. It's why politicians have aides to whisper in their ear "That's John Kerns. Big donor. Three kids, wife's name is Liz and they have a corgi. Big Steelers fan"

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'm the exact same way. I remember so many stupid and meaningless things but don't send me to the grocery store for more than 3 things without a list.

Same, and I have to takes notes all day at work or else I will forget an hour later. The mouse on the wheel in my head runs 100mph.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Awful with names.

Really great with faces and numbers. Senior year at ISU I would recognize random people from freshman lectures.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m good with what I deem important or relevant. I never studied for tests if just sit and listen and could regurgitate it. I can space out on names of my wife’s friends and it drives her nuts. But I can remember a crude nickname they had once.

Although I have had detailed conversations with people that I had no idea who they were, but I could wing it fairly well and make them think I knew what they were talking about And remembered them also

• Agree

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I could tell you where the 6th guy off the bench for the Pistons played college basketball, but I totally blanked on my son's birthday when I had to pick up a prescription for him the other day.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
One thing that amazes me is other peoples' ability to remember the year something happened in. I have clients all the time that can say "we moved here in 1984" or "we bought that ground in 1997". I could probably work backwards if I had to, but off the top of my head I can't tell you the year anything happened in.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Whenever I chat with my best friend from high school and reference someone from our school days, she almost unfailingly does not remember who I am referencing. Another good guy friend’s the same way - less with people, but more with situations. I am terrible with names of new people, but don’t forget that type of stuff ever, so it is hard for me to reconcile that in my head!

Do you have a good or bad memory? Do you have an area that is better or worse than others? Has it ever bitten you in the butt?
I have a spotty memory. I could be introduced to you and half a minute later not remember your name. Some say that people who have trouble remembering names of people they have just been introduced to are narcissistic or have no empathy, self-centered, whatever you want to call it, but I just have a bad memory for names.

I can't remember the name of my first roommate at Iowa State, for example. To be fair, he was only a roommate for a quarter before he dropped out. I had three different roommates, my first three quarters at Iowa State. My second one was a farmer's kid who only enrolled for the winter quarter every year because he had to help on the farm in spring and fall.

My last year there, I had two roommates, but I only remember the name of one of them. I remember the names of every kid in my high school graduating class, however. (There were only 40 of us,)

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021

I immediately thought of this movie scene after I read the thread title.

Attachments

• IMG_6582.jpeg
    IMG_6582.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Friendly
Reactions: Angie and drlove

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Similar to a lot of posts here, if I encounter someone I haven't seen for a while, I usually recognize the face before I can conjure the name.

I notice this most often if someone notices me first, and identity doesn't immediately come to mind.

"Hey, 500!"

"Hey ... you!"

It's like I'm in an episode of "Seinfeld."

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not sure if my memory is bad. Probably not as good as it used to be

But eras of my life seem almost like a dream. The early years (especially when I'm back in Iowa). Texas years. California years. Life before kids.

It almost like a dream.

I go back occasionally and catch my alma mater's football games and stand far away from the crowds on one end. One is to watch the game, and two is to avoid running into the exact person you'd rather not see.

Anyway it feels like I'm in some movie where I'm visiting the past but nobody can see me. It all looks very similar and many of the same people are walking around that I've known my whole life, just older.

It's equal parts comforting and eerie.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I go back occasionally and catch my alma mater's football games and stand far away from the crowds on one end. One is to watch the game, and two is to avoid running into the exact person you'd rather not see.

Anyway it feels like I'm in some movie where I'm visiting the past but nobody can see me. It all looks very similar and many of the same people are walking around that I've known my whole life, just older.

It's equal parts comforting and eerie.

Totally been there. A few years back a cousin was in town. He said he didn't recognize people from his class now.

I'm the flip side. I recognized people but I've changed. So I was able to wander around and not be recognized (much) if I didn't want to be.

Odd. Weird. Like being a ghost or visitor. Things look familiar and different all at once.

My takeaway is to try not to go back to the hometown