Friday OT - The Over/Under

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Assume that dressing appropriately isn’t an option. Would you prefer to overdress for an event, or underdress? Why?

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
This.

Because One never knows when One might needeth to make an Impression, mightn't one?

images (1).jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Angie

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Definitely would rather be overdressed. You can always peel off a jacket or a tie and roll the sleeves to knock it down a little if necessary. I've been the underdressed guy before and it's not a great feeling. I kind of feel like famous people are the only ones who can get away with the underdressed thing.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Assume that dressing appropriately isn’t an option. Would you prefer to overdress for an event, or underdress? Why?
Over dress because I think suit pants feel better than khakis.

Also, you’re more likely going to cause hard feeling by being underdressed (although this point is probably more top of mind for me because I have been to quite a few funerals recently)

Reactions: Angie

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
So we are not talking about climate or comfort.

Overdress. I see few downsides (someone might think you were dumb or unaware of the situation--or that you were putting on airs?). I have no problem putting on a tie, and don't really understand the compulsion some have for dressing down or their reluctance to dress up.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Over dress because I think suit pants feel better than khakis.

Also, you’re more likely going to cause hard feeling by being underdressed (although this point is probably more top of mind for me because I have been to quite a few funerals recently)
If a suit isn't required, my go-to for "dressy" is usually a pair of flat front golf pants, an UNTUCKit button down shirt, and one of my pairs of Nike Air Max 90s, which I have an unhealthy obsession with.

Now if it's date night, that's a whole other ballgame...

26151c120f47ec2fd98bfac71eac7f73.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: CRcyclone6

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
If a suit isn't required, my go-to for "dressy" is usually a pair of flat front golf pants, an UNTUCKit button down shirt, and one of my pairs of Nike Air Max 90s, which I have an unhealthy obsession with.

Now if it's date night, that's a whole other ballgame...

26151c120f47ec2fd98bfac71eac7f73.jpg
Date night....bring out the OG Air Jordan's!

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
So we are not talking about climate or comfort.

Overdress. I see few downsides (someone might think you were dumb or unaware of the situation--or that you were putting on airs?). I have no problem putting on a tie, and don't really understand the compulsion some have for dressing down or revulsion for dressing up.
For me, at least, it's a comfort issue. I have a neck that there are no shirts that fit without also being a tent on me.

I'm mildly overweight (maybe 30 lbs) but somehow all that clothing on me, even if it fits, is just so constricting it feels horrible. Guess being retired 10 years and wearing shorts and tees 95% of the time has just exacerbated that feeling when I do have to dress up.

Long pants and a polo or button up shirt is about as far as I go. Maybe a sweater if it's cool out.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Depends on the situation. But I've been thrusted into situations that I was severely underdressed and it almost had the opposite effect of impression. "This dude is wearing a Hawaiian shirt to meet all these execs? He must know his stuff."

There's a guy we had at my company (RIP) that dressed in pajamas and winnie the pooh slippers for a major conference he was speaking at. He had the highest rated session.

This might be exclusive to IT though, to be fair.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I skew overdressed. I would rather look more refined than less, I guess? But it definitely also can play as “tries too hard.”

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Depends on the situation. But I've been thrusted into situations that I was severely underdressed and it almost had the opposite effect of impression. "This dude is wearing a Hawaiian shirt to meet all these execs? He must know his stuff."

There's a guy we had at my company (RIP) that dressed in pajamas and winnie the pooh slippers for a major conference he was speaking at. He had the highest rated session.

This might be exclusive to IT though, to be fair.

My nostalgia kicked in

1712333375482.png 1712333432219.png