Friday OT - The Over/Under

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I've adopted a mindset from my dad "you only get so many opportunities to wear a suit". And I like being dressed up, so I always wear a suit to events where the average attire is just a shirt & tie with dress pants. Weddings, funerals, graduations, etc. I always wear a suit.

You might not consider that overdressing, but it's "more dressed than average" in my mind.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Where's the "I'm not in many situations where I have to worry about being underdressed" option?

This. I maybe have 1 time all year where I have to over dress.

Under for me because as someone who is majorly overweight with under dressing I can some hide it whereas overdressed just shows the world exactly how much of a fat *** I am.

Frog

May 6, 2021
Funny, I was just talking to my daughter about this as she was wanting my SIL to dress up more for a wedding they are going to this weekend.

I vote overdress within reason. I am pretty much going to wear a suit and tie to a wedding or funeral unless my wife tells me not to. I am not talking suits all the time, more Dockers than jeans with button down shirt or nice shorts with nice shirt. I feel more confident overdressed than underdressed in any event where I have to consider what to wear.

Actually its the opposite between us, but I think some people that know us (me/wife), but not real well, think my wife should be dressed up and I should be wearing bibs and seed corn hat. I wear shorts, t-shirt and no hat all summer working around home unless I need jeans for protection or cooler weather. A few comments like "you clean up well" or" look at you all dressed up" are telling.

Reactions: Angie

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Overdress.

Last fall were invited to a first birthday party for our neighbor's son. It was held around dinner time and they let us know food would be provided. It was a gorgeous, warm day so we walked over dressed in shorts and t-shirts. We were sooo underdressed. All the women were wearing nice dresses. Men had on button down shirts and khaki pants. We felt a little out of place.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Underdressed. I HATE dressing up for an event. Generally, the most I do is khakis and a polo anyway, then make a hasty exit if whatever ends up being more 'formal' than that. I think I've worn a suit/sport coat three times in my life. It's not comfortable and I don't like it. Always been a t-shirt and jeans/shorts guy. Almost anything else is just a hassle to me.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Underdressed. I HATE dressing up for an event. Generally, the most I do is khakis and a polo anyway, then make a hasty exit if whatever ends up being more 'formal' than that. I think I've worn a suit/sport coat three times in my life. It's not comfortable and I don't like it. Always been a t-shirt and jeans/shorts guy. Almost anything else is just a hassle to me.
I read this as jeans shorts. Ha!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think I was thinking for temps/weather.

I definitely underdress and hate wearing business attire. Although I'll do it for weddings or whatever.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Reminds me of a time last summer where I was told that in 10min I was to meet with a prime minister. I was wearing jeans, tennis shoes, and a flannel shirt. I was freaking out because I didn't even bring a suit or a sport jacket but they were just like "go as you, he respects that".

I show up and the PM is in a damn track suit because he was going to workout after our meeting. I wish I was able to take a picture because the memory just makes me laugh in my head forever.

Reactions: NWICY