Future Big 12 FB Opponents/Schedule Announced

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
You meeting those people in DC? If not, I think Pittsburgh is actually the closest airport to fly into.

It is, by about two hours.

I also imagine it's easier to book a direct/non-stop flight to DC compared to Pittsburgh. The added flight time/cost could make DC the more attractive option, regardless of circumstance.s

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
You meeting those people in DC? If not, I think Pittsburgh is actually the closest airport to fly into.
The people I’m going to the game with all live in DC. They go to all of the WV - Iowa State football games and have gone to b-ball games. I also like the direct flights from DSM to DCA.

Reactions: BigJCy

OrangeCarrot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 1, 2023
Don't mean to turn this into Iowa, but why is it that Iowa gets 3 protected rivals again?
Iowa-Minnesota-Wisconsin make sense as being protected rivals. Nebraska-Iowa seems like it’s more beneficial for Nebraska to help integrate them into the conference.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
It is, by about two hours.

I also imagine it's easier to book a direct/non-stop flight to DC compared to Pittsburgh. The added flight time/cost could make DC the more attractive option, regardless of circumstance.s
There’s a DSM to Pittsburgh through ORD that is only 45 minutes layover. I probably wouldn’t make it if the crew required me to be at the gate 20 minutes before takeoff. Others connect in DC and Charlotte.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Iowa-Minnesota-Wisconsin make sense as being protected rivals. Nebraska-Iowa seems like it’s more beneficial for Nebraska to help integrate them into the conference.
OK. Who are our protected rivals in FB again? Do we even have one? I don't think so.

So it's been awhile since I looked at the B1G schedules, but don't most teams there have 2 protected rivals now? And yet Iowa has 3? I still don't understand that.

And what is the difference in the new B1G and the Big 12 scheduling philosophy now?

OrangeCarrot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 1, 2023
OK. Who are our protected rivals in FB again? Do we even have one? I don't think so.

So it's been awhile since I looked at the B1G schedules, but don't most teams there have 2 protected rivals now? And yet Iowa has 3? I still don't understand that.

And what is the difference in the new B1G and the Big 12 scheduling philosophy now?
Idrk what you’re trying to get at here but the Big 10 asked schools to pick protected rivals to try and preserve some of the traditional matchups. From what I’ve heard Iowa-Minnesota-Wisconsin all chose each other but Nebraska’s first pick was Iowa.

From a Big 12 perspective there aren’t a ton of old rivalries left to preserve and lots of relatively new programs to integrate and develop into a new conference so I believe this is the smarter approach for conference longevity.

I think both conferences are making the smart move given their circumstances with the Big 10 trying to keep some familiarity with their expansion and the Big 12 trying to develop a relatively new corps of schools.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Idrk what you’re trying to get at here but the Big 10 asked schools to pick protected rivals to try and preserve some of the traditional matchups. From what I’ve heard Iowa-Minnesota-Wisconsin all chose each other but Nebraska’s first pick was Iowa.

From a Big 12 perspective there aren’t a ton of old rivalries left to preserve and lots of relatively new programs to integrate and develop into a new conference so I believe this is the smarter approach for conference longevity.

I think both conferences are making the smart move given their circumstances with the Big 10 trying to keep some familiarity with their expansion and the Big 12 trying to develop a relatively new corps of schools.
Yes, that makes sense. But does Iowa really have 3 protected rivalries then? Most other B1G schools have 2, some only 1?

While Iowa State has 0 protected rivals in FB? Some Big 12 schools have 1?

I guess I am OK with how the Big 12 is doing things so far. Yormark seems to be doing a very good job.

Reactions: OrangeCarrot

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The Big 12 only protected 4.

Arizona-Arizona State
Utah-BYU
Kansas-K State
Baylor-TCU

Each league did a good job I think. The Big Ten just flat has more traditional rivalries so it makes sense that they'd have more protected. Both leagues gave themselves a ton of flexibility and that's a good thing.

Penn State has 0, Iowa has 3 and everybody else is somewhere in between and looking at what they protected makes perfect sense. Iowa-Nebraska is the only questionable one but Nebraska pushed hard for it so I understand why they went with it and, frankly, they've been playing Black Friday for over a decade now so it really is kind of a thing.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Disagree. Imo this was a big mistake on the big 12's part. They overvalued playing everyone frequently (which only people on the internet care about) over keeping traditional series intact. ISU should have been pushing to keep KU and KSU on the schedule every year. The geographically based 'pods' that had been laid out made things so simple.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Disagree. Imo this was a big mistake on the big 12's part. They overvalued playing everyone frequently (which only people on the internet care about) over keeping traditional series intact. ISU should have been pushing to keep KU and KSU on the schedule every year. The geographically based 'pods' that had been laid out made things so simple.
POD ALERT

POD ALERT

ALERT THE MODS!!!

POD ALERT!

:jimlad:

• Haha
Reactions: KidSilverhair

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It really comes down to this. Every B12 team gets a minimum of a Home and Away with every other B12 team. That leaves room for either 3 fully protected rivals or 6 semi-protected rivals or somewhere in between. ISU ended up with KU, KSU, OSU, WVU, Cincy and UCF as semi-protected rivals. The only real complaint that I hear over and over again is that KSU isn't a fully protected rival. So you are essentially complaining about ONE game that won't be played in 2027. My word. That's nothing especially compared to how dire things looked 2 years ago.
WVU has semi-protected rivalries with ISU, KU, OSU, TTU, Cincy and UCF. I understand that WVU would have liked a fully-protected rivalry with Cincinnati. What else would you have liked? Otherwise, it seem you are complaining about ONE game and just grasping for a reason to complain (similar to a few ISU fans on here).

View attachment 118788
It's been a while since I read this thread. Your post here help me to remember what is going on. Thank you.

This particularly:

Last edited:
Reactions: StLouisClone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Is there a chance the Big 12 may change the system of play between conference teams after the first 4 years?
POD ALERT

POD ALERT

ALERT THE MODS!!!

POD ALERT!

:jimlad:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
More pieces falling into place for Big 12 teams in 2024...

Friday, 9/13 - Arizona at Kansas State [NC] (was Fri or Sat)
Friday, 10/4 - Houston at TCU (was Fri or Sat)
Friday, 10/11 - Utah at Arizona State (was Fri or Sat)
Saturday, 11/9 - West Virginia at Cincinnati (was Thu, Fri, or Sat)
Friday, 11/15 - Houston at Arizona (was Thu, Fri, or Sat)

That leaves just 1 game without a solid date:
Oklahoma State at BYU (either Fri 10/18 or Sat 10/19)

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
More pieces falling into place for Big 12 teams in 2024...

Friday, 9/13 - Arizona at Kansas State [NC] (was Fri or Sat)
Friday, 10/4 - Houston at TCU (was Fri or Sat)
Friday, 10/11 - Utah at Arizona State (was Fri or Sat)
Saturday, 11/9 - West Virginia at Cincinnati (was Thu, Fri, or Sat)
Friday, 11/15 - Houston at Arizona (was Thu, Fri, or Sat)

That leaves just 1 game without a solid date:
Oklahoma State at BYU (either Fri 10/18 or Sat 10/19)

So 4 or 5 Friday games. That’s totally reasonable

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
And the OSU/BYU game will also be on a Friday (Oct. 18).

So that makes 4 Friday conference games this season, not including the 2 on Black Friday.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
And the OSU/BYU game will also be on a Friday (Oct. 18).

So that makes 4 Friday conference games this season, not including the 2 on Black Friday.
You'd have to think some/all of them will be on big FOX too. They ditched SmackDown so they could show College Football and Basketball all fall/winter.

Reactions: StLouisClone