Future Big 12 FB Opponents/Schedule Announced

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Basically Jamie Pollard said on KXNO today, that Houston & UCF threw a fit about us being able to play 3 other Midwest teams. “We’re a 16 team conference, & that includes Houston & UCF. What would they think if we get to play 3 Midwest teams and they have to travel”
Thanks a lot Houston & UCF

• Sad
Reactions: khardbored

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
3 out of 4 years isn’t bad. I don’t see what the big deal is. Kansas State has made a habit of beating us down pretty good the last 30-ish years. I’d just as soon play someone that might be easier to beat. Once the streak of playing them is over, what’s the point of playing them every year anyway.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I see the SEC is releasing their '24 schedule with actual dates on Wednesday Night. Wonder how long it will be before the Big 12 does the same?

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I see the SEC is releasing their '24 schedule with actual dates on Wednesday Night. Wonder how long it will be before the Big 12 does the same?
I thought I saw January before the Big 12 championship game.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Feels like it will be dates for Vandy, Miss st, Arkansas, etc. I doubt Saban and others with power agree to those dates.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Playing 9 conference games is the most important part of the new B12 schedule. While OuT is out, ISU is still guaranteed to play a pretty tough schedule. Look at 2024. We still play Iowa, KSU, KU and Utah (all potential top 25 teams). SOS matters to get into the CFP. While the B12 champion will get an automatic bid to new 12-team playoff, there is a good chance for a 2nd bid if the SOS is there. That's where playing 9 conference games could give us an edge over an ACC team that played 8 conference games.

View attachment 118829
But...but...but...eye test...

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Playing 9 conference games is the most important part of the new B12 schedule. While OuT is out, ISU is still guaranteed to play a pretty tough schedule. Look at 2024. We still play Iowa, KSU, KU and Utah (all potential top 25 teams). SOS matters to get into the CFP. While the B12 champion will get an automatic bid to new 12-team playoff, there is a good chance for a 2nd bid if the SOS is there. That's where playing 9 conference games could give us an edge over an ACC team that played 8 conference games.

View attachment 118829
FSU's 2023 conference schedule + LSU and Florida in the non-con is about as respectable as a schedule can get outside of the SEC and we saw what the committee thought of that.

The playoff team selection process will always be weighted in favor of the SEC/B1G. They'll easily dismiss a game or two in every Big XII schedule as equal to G5-level anyways. To think they'll respect the conference more because of the 9 games is naive, imo.

I think we'll see years a second team can sneak in, but I bet it's infrequent.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Basically Jamie Pollard said on KXNO today, that Houston & UCF threw a fit about us being able to play 3 other Midwest teams. “We’re a 16 team conference, & that includes Houston & UCF. What would they think if we get to play 3 Midwest teams and they have to travel”
Thanks a lot Houston & UCF
I mean, they're right.

No one should get a 'discount' on travel simply because of the proximity of other schools.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
In addition, I'm worried that the big 12 team in the playoff will likely be lower seeded each year (seeds 10-12), with a first round matchup against the SEC or big 10 runner up. Can win that game yes, but will be a tough matchup each year for our conference I'm afraid.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Big 12 is a one bid league in the new playoff format.

Start with that expectation, and by happy if ends up being two teams once every 10 years.
Yes. The big 12 and SEC will get the extra teams in with a task of softening up the teams from other conferences before they get to their conference's big dogs.

karate-kid.gif

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Does g5 still get an auto bid? I thought there were 5 auto bids?

But I agree most years will be one Big 12 team. I can guarantee they'll try to get 4 Sec teams in each year and try to get that many Big ten as well. But I don't think multiple big 12 teams will be a once in a decade thing.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
While the new Big 12 has a much more equal feel of parity, there will still be teams that have standout years and earn a high enough ranking that 2 teams get in. I don't see there being many scenarios where we get 3 teams in - not because 3 teams aren't worthy of it, but because arguments like SOS will give enough reason to exclude a 3rd team.

And to be fair, there are going to be many more years where 3 SEC teams are far stronger than the top 3 Big 12 teams - simply because of the new setup, funding, NIL, etc.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Does g5 still get an auto bid? I thought there were 5 auto bids?

But I agree most years will be one Big 12 team. I can guarantee they'll try to get 4 Sec teams in each year and try to get that many Big ten as well. But I don't think multiple big 12 teams will be a once in a decade thing.
Yes

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Technically 5 highest rated conference champions each get a bid.

So if the MW and AAC both have an insane year it's possible the ACC or Big XII don't get one, but I'd be shocked if that happens.

That said, I'd be surprised if the conference champion autobid is still a thing in 10 years.