FYI - Screen shots will no longer work for ticket entry at games

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well the also said there would be large cooling fans on the concourses.

I never saw any, but I assumed they would be the swamp cooler variety to at least get a cooler breeze/mist effect.

None to be found that I saw, but my daughter said she saw ONE, and it was just a big industrial fan, blowing around the hot air. Not a cooling fan.

No awnings to help anywhere, like gates and lines. The water fill lines were huge, and very few. My daughter said the one on their side was out of water early on so could not fill there etc.

It really seemed like poor planning, even with the things they said they were going to do, either didnt work or was implemented poorly.

But make sure you only bring in ONE water bottle per person...god forbid you dare bring in 2.
Multiple people brought in 2 at least the security folks were bright enough to not make that a problem. I actually brought in a 32 Oz water.

• Agree
Reactions: SaraV

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
One thing I guess I didnt pay attention to...

Did they have anything up at the gates to tell people what to do to be prepared to enter? Obviously they plastered social media the last few weeks but that doesn't reach all of the intended audience.

And there is NO WAY they don't already have the postmortem done on what went wrong. Something to keep in mind when comparing to other facilities is JTS gets used 6 or 7 times a year. Most professional arenas get used SIGNIFICANTLY more than that and have a more well trained staff because it isn't a bunch of newbs.

Guessing it won't be popular but Jamie releasing that statement was awful. He blamed everybody instead of being a leader and taking the blame. "It was on fans for showing up too late (that may be true but even if it is shut up), our staff that we didn't train appropriately, and it being hot as hell.

• Agree
Reactions: MNCYWX and alarson

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I get it, you've had season tickets since the Jim Walden era so you don't care.

For the rest of us peasants we do stuff like idk......use the bathroom once inside, grab some food or water, make our way to the seats.....sometimes it can take 5-10minutes depending on location, find our seats, maybe interact and make some friends with people around us, watch pre-game warm-ups, watch the band and cheerleaders........just generally enjoy the ambience of being at a football game.

It wasn't even that hot yesterday. The temp was about 92 with a heat index of 93. A simple tip, take a kitchen towel, wet it down and put it around your neck. It will cool anywhere from 30-60 minutes depending on some other factors. Wrapping it in ice and then getting it wet works even better.
Thermometer said 120 at field level, without index. What do you think the temp was a few rows up in stands packed with people?

Sure it was 94 degrees in the shade outside the stadium, but not in the sun in the stadium, surrounded by people.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I get it, you've had season tickets since the Jim Walden era so you don't care.

For the rest of us peasants we do stuff like idk......use the bathroom once inside, grab some food or water, make our way to the seats.....sometimes it can take 5-10minutes depending on location, find our seats, maybe interact and make some friends with people around us, watch pre-game warm-ups, watch the band and cheerleaders........just generally enjoy the ambience of being at a football game.

It wasn't even that hot yesterday. The temp was about 92 with a heat index of 93. A simple tip, take a kitchen towel, wet it down and put it around your neck. It will cool anywhere from 30-60 minutes depending on some other factors. Wrapping it in ice and then getting it wet works even better.

Jamie your system f*cked up yesterday take the L man up and do better next wk.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah, that's bad then. I take back everything I said if that's the case. Lol.

If I was at the game yesterday I probably would have left my tailgate around 12 and made it up to the gates by 12:15.

And you would have been pretty much ok, I was near that time frame, probably 30ish people ahead of me and it took a solid 10 probably 15 minutes to process them.
When it works it is fine but too many glitches yesterday. My ticket in the Google wallet tapped correctly. But many other people's did not of both the android and apple varieties.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I did read the posts, people said the issues started 20-30 minutes before kickoff. That would be in the 12:35-12:45 range. Pollard said something similar to this I'm his press release saying everyone tried to get in at once.

Did the people that got there in the 12-12:30 range have huge backups?
You replied to @ImJustKCClone and asked specifically “So help me understand here what is keeping you from getting into the stadium before 12:45 for a 1:05 kick?” She had already explained their path to the stadium.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

If I was at the game yesterday I probably would have left my tailgate around 12 and made it up to the gates by 12:15.
So you have basically calling everyone here dumb for what they experienced...and were not even at the game to witness the problems.

Wow, maybe take a seat in the back and not comment on something you have no actual knowledge of. Instead of acting like you are better than everyone else.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Multiple people brought in 2 at least the security folks were bright enough to not make that a problem. I actually brought in a 32 Oz water.
I brought in 6 20 oz waters. They said nothing. I had a couple of kids with me though so maybe that helped. She didn’t seem to give two sh*ts though.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

You’ve stepped into it now. No, you jumped head first without a parachute.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Did they have anything up at the gates to tell people what to do to be prepared to enter? Obviously they plastered social media the last few weeks but that doesn't reach all of the intended audience.

And there is NO WAY they don't already have the postmortem done on what went wrong. Something to keep in mind when comparing to other facilities is JTS gets used 6 or 7 times a year. Most professional arenas get used SIGNIFICANTLY more than that and have a more well trained staff because it isn't a bunch of newbs.

Guessing it won't be popular but Jamie releasing that statement was awful. He blamed everybody instead of being a leader and taking the blame. "It was on fans for showing up too late (that may be true but even if it is shut up), our staff that we didn't train appropriately, and it being hot as hell.

Out by the street NW side of N enterance there were some girls with clipboards who were available to help but they were not advertised unless a 8 by 11 sheet of paper saying ticket questions here counts. They were cute enough though. Most people never noticed them though.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
One more thing

Did anyone notice the scalpers, selling........PAPER TICKETS.....to an event that was supposed to not allow paper tickets?

I did, so why can those scalpers sell those, but no one else can get/use them?
I know they are busy and I do support the police BUT if they saw scalpers selling paper tickets they need to kick them out or do something about it. Scalping is one thing but outright selling something that you know is not going to work is straight up fraud. Falls under the protect and serve motto IMO.
Just an FYI, there were people using legitimate paper tickets yesterday. I don’t know about the scalpers’ tickets specifically, but my wife received two paper tickets from her work, and they scanned just fine. I’m sure if anyone really wants paper tickets for next game that they would be able to contact the ticket office and get that lined up.

• Informative
Reactions: 2speedy1

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I hate Tickemaster as much as anyone but their new system was flawless for the Pearl Jam show I attended in St. Paul the other night.

It completely cut out any fraud, scalping, and they even upgraded me to better seats the day of the show all through the app.
So what.. it worked somewhere else. You have no idea what the difference was at Jack Trice, Either way it did not work.

You werent there to know, just quit.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

Not that I saw, and also there was no way to see how/where we would actually scan. Because there were so many people in the throng, I was fearful there would be specific lines and we would not be in a line when we got there.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

IMO they underplayed somewhat how different this would be. The initial messaging was all about how you can't screenshot tickets anymore, and since I never did that and have never had problems using the wallet, I mostly ignored all that. It wasn't until later that I saw something about kiosks and NFC and realized I needed to learn more.

So if you were a person who screenshotted before, you had to learn how to use your wallet, AND had to learn NFC, AND had to figure out how to navigate the kiosks. That's a lot, and they could have done more to prepare people. I found the FAQ to be a little inadequate.